Model Cars Magazine Forum

What bottle paint to use?

You might want to clarify.  For brush-painting or airbrushing? Are you asking to replace the "stinky" solvent-based PLA enamels (or Model Master) then there is Humbrol in the little metal tins.  Very similar to old-school Testors paints.  Then there is Scalecoat II paint - again similar to Testors.  Next is the Tru-Color paint, but that one is best applied using an airbrush.

Recent FineScale Modeler magazine also had an article reviewing several new lines of "stinky" acrylic lacquers (in bottles).  I have never heard of most of them before reading the article -- they are new lines of paints from various manufacturers.

Edited by peteski

Vallejo are water-based paints while the ones I mentioned are "stinky" organic-solvent based paints (like Testors PLA enamels). Testors did also make water-based Acryl line of paints, but we still don't know what type of paint (water-based or "stinky") Spooky 52 is looking for.

Edited by peteski

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Vallejo are water-based paints while the ones I mentioned are "stinky" organic-solvent based paints (like Testors PLA enamels). Testors did also make water-based Acryl line of paints, but we still don't know what type of paint (water-based or "stinky") Spooky 52 is looking for.

He did say water wash up in parentheses.

Right now I'm still running on the last of my Testors Acryl.  I've noticed I'm finding more Testors acrylics in sets that have better colors than they used to in the little square bottles.  I picked up a set that has light and dark gull grey, OD green, ghost grey, flat tan and flat white. I wonder if they're rolling the Model Master lines into their normal paints?  I think I'm gonna switch to Revell Aqua once the Acryl runs out.  I use a lot of Citadel paints as well.  They have a wide array of colors and their white and red are more opaque than most paints I've worked with.