Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Floyd - Which One's Pink?

afx

On 8/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, 1972coronet said:

How many amongst us have watched Tonight Let's All Make Love In London  ? It's a documentary featuring The 14 Hour Technicolor Dream [sic] from 1966 . 

14-hour-technicolor-dream-1966.jpg.31e29e1d1f93097a8a0e6e7e9ebf44b3.jpg

The interview with the young lady at the 8:55 mark of the film talking about Dunny Girls (?) appears in Big Audio Dynamite's - Green Grass at the 3:00 mark.

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

It's well into the wee hours of a hot, sultry summer evening. I'm laying at the foot of my bed, the window is open as a warm breeze carries the sounds of bullfrogs from the nearby creek into my room. My Juliette stereo (with 8-track!) is tuned to Q107 from Toronto, when the mystical notes of a previously unheard tune begin to creep their way into my consciousness. They instruct me to "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"... when the journey is over, I go on a quest for Ummagumma... and once it's mine, the journey continues...

Edited by plasticprime

50 minutes ago, plasticprime said:

They instruct me to "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"... when the journey is over, I go on a quest for Ummagumma... and once it's mine, the journey continues...

"Set..." is a great piece . It's originally on A Saucerful of Secrets  (1968) , which is a gem to its self .

2 hours ago, afx said:

More of Syd's quirky genius

Not to mention Arnold Layne  . That song -- Bike --  as the closing track is genius . 

Perhaps Barrett's most 'troubling' and 'disturbing' song is Have You Got It Yet ? from the c.1971 sessions for a third solo album (which was incomplete , and shelved until c.1988 ) .

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on another forum I am on. Airbrush painting of Roger Waters. Artist is Kim McCann. I think he did a great job on this.

I asked and he said he's looking for a good current pic of David Gilmore as he plans to do him next.

roger waters.jpg

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Analysis of The Wall:

https://www.thewallanalysis.com/

https://www.angelfire.com/punk/kissme/wall.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall

The album turns full circle with its closing words "Isn't this where...", the first words of the phrase that begins the album, "...we came in?", with a continuation of the melody of the last song hinting at the cyclical nature of Waters' theme, and that the existential crisis at the heart of the album will never truly end.

Edited by afx

I saw them three times. First time was at Nassau Coliseum on June 17, 1975 for the "Wish You Were Here" tour. In '77, my friends and I saw them twice, July 1 and July 4, at Madison Square Garden for the "Animals" tour. Lots of 'cid, man. :D

BTW, the summer of '77 was the greatest concert season ever.

The Palladium/Academy of Music, Calderone Concert Hall, My Father's Place in Roslyn, Dr. Pepper Music Festival at Wollman Rink in Central Park, The Bottom Line, the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ, Malibu Beach and Shore Club in Lido Beach, Speaks in Island Park, Rumbottoms in Massapequa and a whole lotta other places, big and small.

• Like 1

Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking is the first solo album by Roger Waters; it was released in 1984, the year before Waters announced his departure from Pink Floyd. 

The concept was originally envisioned by Waters in 1977 and refined in the early 1980s. In its completed form, it rotates around a man's scattered thoughts during his midlife crisis. These are explored on a dream journey during which he takes a road trip through California, commits adultery with a hitchhiker he picks up along the way, attempts to reconcile with his wife by moving to the wilderness, and finally ends up alone but with greater insight into a common human compassion. Along the way he also faces other fears and paranoia.

The entire story is framed in real time as a fitful dream taking place in the early morning hours of 4:30:18 am to 5:12:32 am on an unspecified day. At the end of the dream, the man wakes up lonely and contrite and turns to his real wife for comfort, presumably having processed his crisis.

In July 1978, Waters played some of the music demos of what he had pieced together, but he also played parts of another album he was preparing titled Bricks in the Wall to the rest of his bandmates in the group Pink Floyd. After a long debate, they decided that they preferred the concept of Bricks in the Wall instead, even though their manager at the time, Steve O'Rourke, thought that Pros and Cons was a better-sounding concept, and David Gilmour deemed Pros and Cons stronger musically.

Well, the idea for the album came concurrently with the idea for The Wall – the basis of the idea. I wrote both pieces at roughly the same time. And in fact, I made demo tapes of them both, and in fact presented both demo tapes to the rest of the Floyd, and said "Look, I'm going to do one of these as a solo project and we'll do one as a band album, and you can choose." So, this was the one that was left over. Um...I mean, it's developed an awful lot since then, I think.

— Roger Waters, 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...