Model Cars Magazine Forum

mohair upholstery

Mohair was such a subtle finish, in 1/25 scale I think any attempt at replicating that fine a texture would look rough. A dead flat finish, applied possibly in thin layers with a brush to give just a bit of visual interest, might be the best way. Spraying might look a little too perfect or uninteresting. I think we sometimes try too hard to replicate textures we KNOW are there, but really shouldn't SEE at 1/25 actual size. Engine block texture and vinyl top surfaces are two that seem to almost always get over-exaggerated, for example.

I went on line and discovered mohair could be very velvety in texture, but possibly with a slightly longer knap than regular velvet (upholstery versus clothing). I am planning some custom projects using 1939 Ford tudor sedans as well as the 49 and 50 Fords. I not only want period performance engines, but also very luxurious interiors in both leather and cloth- hence the interest in mohair. Betsy is a fabric guru and I have several scraps of fabric including ultrasuede and velvet- worth a try. The seat that comes in Revell's 1932 Ford 3 window coupe is the look I want to incorporate in the other builds. I also have a maroon leather glove stowed away I may actually break down and use!

I think it was Model Master that used to offer an interior fabric spray paint. The two colors I recall were a darker beige color and also in a gray. The hard part would be finding it. I used to get it at Hobby Lobby and since they don't thro anything away there may be a store that still has some old stock. There is always E Bay or maybe even some online model suppliers might still have some. The finish does look very much like a cloth interior.  

I have a few cans in different colors of Krylon "Make it Suede". These can be painted to your desired color, and are essentially the same stuff that was sold under MM and Scale Motorsports, but could be had in larger quantities. Not sure if they still make it, but check to see. There is some control over the texture depending on how far back you hold the can when spraying. I have used it for rubberized floor board, the fabric roof inserts on hot rods and more. I can see it also being used for Bedliner, undercoating, you name it. 

Gold Paint & Varnish Advertising for sale | eBay

On 9/30/2021 at 12:58 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I have a few cans in different colors of Krylon "Make it Suede". These can be painted to your desired color, and are essentially the same stuff that was sold under MM and Scale Motorsports, but could be had in larger quantities. Not sure if they still make it, but check to see. There is some control over the texture depending on how far back you hold the can when spraying. I have used it for rubberized floor board, the fabric roof inserts on hot rods and more. I can see it also being used for Bedliner, undercoating, you name it. 

Gold Paint & Varnish Advertising for sale | eBay

Hi Mark!

They don't make it anymore, alas... But Home-Depot used to carry Ralph Lauren (!) Paints, and many were used for special effects or so called "faux-finis". I remember having a demo can (about a pint) made, and it had a definite suede look to it, in scale. But I don't know if they still offer it. Not in Canada anymore, for certain...

CT 

Just looked, and it is a bit pricey, but Scale Motorsports still offers Faux Fabrix

https://scalemotorsport.com/collections/accessories/products/faux-fabrix-textured-spray-paint

You might also be able to get a similar result from a "chalk board" spray paint for less. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

I bought this felt material at Hobby Lobby. The best way I can describe it is in powdered form but I don’t remember what it was called. I remember painting a base color then using 1/1 combo of Elmers glue and water, brushing it on then dumping the felt onto the seat. Tamp it down VERY lightly all around, let dry, then tap out the excess.

572243E1-1ED4-4DAE-9AA3-AF12000E44F3.jpeg

88DC4DA3-D4CB-4558-A19E-ADC25573A3CC.jpeg