Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping silver paint


Recommended Posts

The silver paint that was used on this glue bomb does not dissolve in Super Clean. What would be the next best stripper to use that won’t damage the clear plastic. I will be picking up some Novus polish later today to get rid of the small scuff marks.

Thanks.

 

049A848E-B67A-45CF-AB7A-F496B63289D1.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jchrisf said:

I've had luck with DOT 3 brake fluid when Super Clean wouldn't remove it.

And that won’t harm the clear plastic? I know it can make regular styrene brittle, and clear is already more brittle…?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

And that won’t harm the clear plastic? I know it can make regular styrene brittle, and clear is already more brittle…?

Good question.. I've never used it on clear before.  Honestly, I'd just sand and polish it out if it were me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Good question.. I've never used it on clear before.  Honestly, I'd just sand and polish it out if it were me.

Ok, I sanded the raised rim which I am re-painting anyways and scraped the inside corners as much as possible. My local HS only had Tamiya compound, so I am trying to polish out the scratches. Some are fairly deep.🤨  What would be the coarsest grit paper that could be used prior the polishing compound?

DC59385C-623A-464D-8C6E-F8B39AF7A76C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little time consuming but If you start with fine polishing cloth and work your way down to coarser grit you won’t damage the clear any more than it’s damaged now. Then you can work your way back up in grit to a satisfactory level. If the scratch is deep you could then go to sandpaper proceeding the same way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Ok, I sanded the raised rim which I am re-painting anyways and scraped the inside corners as much as possible. My local HS only had Tamiya compound, so I am trying to polish out the scratches. Some are fairly deep.🤨  What would be the coarsest grit paper that could be used prior the polishing compound?

DC59385C-623A-464D-8C6E-F8B39AF7A76C.jpeg

I'd probably start with 2,000 and go up to 6 or 8,000 then I use a Dremel with a buffing wheel and some Mequiar's Ultra-Cut and then polish.  The dremel makes it so much faster and smoother than I can do by hand

Edited by jchrisf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions Guys. I have been going to town on it with the coarse polishing compound and I think I’m getting there. I mounted a piece of foam gasket on an old electric toothbrush, and it seems to be working fairly well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dipping it in Future/Pledge Floor Care/whateverthehellitscallednow is better than spraying any kind of clear gloss. It will fill in any small scratches which might be left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...