Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford`s 429 Blue Crescent Engine

Yup. Blue Crescent is another name for the Boss 429.  This engine has appeared in a number of kits over the years, some of them rather poor. The JoHan Ford Pro/Stocks and Funny Cars have a good looking one. The Monogram Boss 429 Mustang has a nice one in 1/24 scale, and has the nicest set of valve covers. 

• Like 2

The Johan Boss 429 engines are the best in 1/25 scale, none of the AMT versions I've seen much to speak about. If you don't care about a stock intake or transmission you can find them in the Mustang and Pinto funny cars. The whole engine can be found in the 72 Torino stock car kits. The Revell 70 Torino kits with their SCJ motor could supply some of the missing stock looking parts though they wouldn't be identical to the Boss parts.

Oldmopars after looking at your pictures I`m starting to think the AMT Galaxies 429 block  might be a good option in the absents of a Jo-Han 429 block.

Once painted up, an air cleaner thrown on top and it dropped into an engine compartment I think it will do a good job of representing Ford`s Boss 429.

Thanks

On 11/28/2021 at 10:23 AM, Oldmopars said:

Here is what comes in the AMT Galaxies and other kits. 

BADE32AA-F3B8-4155-AF87-2AFF0F16EF8F.jpeg

As an FYI, for a stock Boss 429 the cross over tube for the upper radiator hose would not be there. That was something used on racing engines. See first pic for reference.

The AMT instructions are pretty poor in my opinion. They show the distributor where the stock radiator hose connects and the coil where the distributor should be. See pic 2 for a stock locations 

nascar_ford_boss_429_engine_by_partywave.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi8wNTk0OTQ4ZS0yMGM2LTQxMDMtOThiNC1hODE4ODZlOTQ1ODkvZDI5azBsNS04Njc1NzM1YS04NjJkLTRjZDMtYTUxNi1kNzM1MmNiNzI5YWMuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEwMjQiLCJoZWlnaHQiOiI8PTc3MCJ9XV19.ba24ps4Xac6gSyQkcVQxMC8hK7J3ZEq8zoltXSl0kW4

005-113-0603-01-z-ford-boss-429-block.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 69NovaYenko said:

Oldmopars after looking at your pictures I`m starting to think the AMT Galaxies 429 block  might be a good option in the absents of a Jo-Han 429 block.

Once painted up, an air cleaner thrown on top and it dropped into an engine compartment I think it will do a good job of representing Ford`s Boss 429.

Thanks

That’s what I felt. Here is mine in the 1965 Lincoln frame. I am using a stock MEL air cleaner from the Lincoln kit. I may give it a bit of dull coat to tone down the chrome  

C90A3239-F0BB-4BE2-81DB-6C9FFD9C2E21.jpeg

Edited by Oldmopars