Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. 2022 CF Freightliner Pusher

It is not perfect by no means, but it is coming along. With very limited reference pictures, I can’t make an exact replica of the reference truck, so I am attempting to create a truck that CF could have had. This truck will have a different number. I tried to make the interior as base looking as possible, I removed most of the gauges. It took every stick of butter that we had, but I was able to squeeze in a VT 903 Cummins (which I understand that CF liked) backed by a 5 speed Spicer.

5B2C1711-C51C-47F1-A123-BC66C54404D7.jpeg.897e11cbb58494e3dd9bd6bc5051216f.jpeg
D92DE559-0DEB-46FA-A485-54F29A868E48.thumb.jpeg.090cf169bbc231d3dd96f75a28247e9c.jpeg

34EB0B30-EFED-45A8-84C0-E68FCE807BB5.thumb.jpeg.adaf20e7246c182744ed5288215fc6ea.jpeg

Great work on the Freightliner modifications. IMO, the cab looks so much better with the older rounded fenders and without the "built in step package". Another note, pre '68 cabs had the upper windshield wiper location, so somebody to the liberty of adding on the newer box Freightliner emblem to that pusher.

6 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Great work on the Freightliner modifications. IMO, the cab looks so much better with the older rounded fenders and without the "built in step package". Another note, pre '68 cabs had the upper windshield wiper location, so somebody to the liberty of adding on the newer box Freightliner emblem to that pusher.

Thanks Tommy, I didn’t catch that detail until I went to put the front numbers on. Also, the earlier cab, at least the one in reference, is a low mount cab and doesn’t have the right front vent, and less metal under the headlights l. Since this was a Johnny Cash type truck anyway, and I wanted to make sure that I had room for the 903, I left it a high cab. Hopefully it will make a decent representation when it is finished though.

7 hours ago, slusher said:

interior looks basic Brian what you aiming for.  What was the truck used. For…

Thanks Carl. These trucks were used by CF to help push trucks over Donner pass in the snow. I’m not sure how well they worked, but Roadway and other companies had them as well.

1 hour ago, wayne00 said:

Great progress!

Wondering if you could give a quick rundown on the single headlight conversion?

Rog😁

Thanks! I didn’t take any pictures during the process. It probably isn’t the best way, but this is how I did it. 
First: I sanded of the passenger side headlight mount and filled in the recessed area. Using reference pictures of the real truck and the passenger front lower vent for a reference point on both the real truck and the model. I drew the circle for where the headlight was to be. When I was satisfied with where the headlight would be, I drilled the center. I then measured the location of the center in reference to the grille location and the bottom of the cab. Using that measurement, I drilled the other side to match. I then cut two very short sections of 3/8” styrene pipe (Evergreen #232) for headlight buckets. I then drilled the passenger side out slowly, one bit size at a time, so that the pipe would fit recessed on the grille side slightly. I then sanded and filled the driver’s side and drilled it as well. I then glued the pipe in from the back slightly recessing the grille side of the buckets. I have some bezels from the parts box that fit nicely into the buckets made from the pipe. I pretty happy with how it turned out. I used super glue and styrene as filler.

47 minutes ago, Dutzie said:

Love the interior. Is that fabric? What did you use?

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Brian, that was an experiment as with most of my projects. It is seat repair tape. It has a vinyl texture, it is very flexible and conforms very well although it has more of a canvas look in scale. I was looking for an alternative to the diamond tuck interior and wanted to give this a try. It looks better in person than it does on camera.

15 minutes ago, TruckerAL said:

You're moving right along. This is one of the best looking c.f. builds I've seen to date I think. Where did you get the engine? Gary, or the 4270 kit?

Thanks Alex! The engine is a Johnny Cash combo just like the rest of the build. It originated in a 4200 glue bomb that I got in a trade here on the forum. I was missing the exhaust manifolds and someone on the forum sent me the manifolds and turbo setup for it. 

2 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Great work so far 

Air starter..first time I've heard of those, but seems their very popular. Watched a video of an enormous Mack with an air start..wow.  learn something new every day lol

They will make you jump out of your skin if you are standing beside it and are not expecting the noise. There is a company here that has an old Western Star dump truck that they have ran for years. When they first got it, the driver used to cut the truck off at stop lights and hit the air starter just to scare people.