Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Reverse Wheels?

AMT '36 Ford most recent issue has some 15 inch beauties.

The "new tool" AMT Ala Kart (NOT the original issue double kit...which has some decent if simplified 15 inchers, but is pretty pricey when you can find one) has a nice set of 14 inchers too (though sadly, the engine and gearbox in the "new tool" kit are badly underscale, undermining its value as a parts source).

AMT 1/25 Ala-Kart - Designed and Built by George Barris ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  • Like 1

AMT '57 Chevy has two, for the rear.  Avoid the Round 2 molded in blue version, as that one has all of the optional parts deleted.  Pre-1969 issues won't have them either.

There is a Round 2 AMT wheel pack (no tires included) that includes a set also.

The AMT '62 Pontiac has a decent set. But, they're pretty shallow IMO. These are from the AMT '36 Ford.

20190815_101715-1.jpg.e75a6e0edb635ea4db95c2c97e906593.jpg

To me, they're the best looking from a kit. I also really like the Pegasus chrome reverse wheels. But, I usually change the tires. 

20200225_154511-1.jpg.4a35cd9003048b2b7b4afb901bc591b0.jpg

There's also a nice set in the Monogram Pro Modeler '60 Corvette. But, they're a little tough to find.

20190723_154756-1.jpg.317ca3a9f065c5df53ab7f7d054a93bf.jpg 

The Revell '49 Mercury has a set. But, they're a bit oversized. I don't have a photo of those. 

AMT 59 ElCamino has a great unchromed set.

Johan 64 Dodge Super Stock had a nice chromed set. Other Johans maybe did too.

AMT 57 Thunderbird has chromed open wheel detail on the inside wheel backs, AFAIK you'll have to source the rings.

Also check 56 & 57 Fords for some simple open wheels.

MPC 70s Camaros had chromed racing open wheels for the racing option.

Revell (now Atlantis) tri-five Chevies had open wheels behind the hubcaps. 

Don't forget the wheels in Monogram's Orange Crate, Predicta and Blue Beetle, although they're 1/24th and may be too big.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

My go-to chromed rims for years were the ones in the old AMT '57 Chevy Bel Air ("Pepper Shaker") kits, although you only got two per kit (top of photo).

The set of four (below) are the new kids in town for AMT. They were first supplied in the AMT 824 '36 Ford kit in 2013 and then later included in the AMT PP021 Custom & Competition: Custom Caps 'n Wheel parts pack in 2018.

(The AMT 723 and 1192 '65 Ford Galaxie 500XL kits contain unplated versions of these new open wheels.)

DSC04382.JPG

AMT 824 '36 Ford 2013.jpg

AMT PP021 Custom Caps 'n Wheels Parts Pack 2018.jpg

• Thanks 1

The o-l-d Revell '56 F-100 kit had some of the first, two piecers; maybe those continued in the repop versions?  I still have the 'wreckage' of that kit, painted AMT Lime Fire Green, and it will probably never get restored, I had so many problems!  Eventual tire-melt was a big one, too.  Watch out when you keep your models for a long time!  Building my retro kits saved from the day, I use a lot of chrome-reverse rims, put most of the aftermarket-style 'mags' in my never-never bin -- esp the 'Dukes' finned Western type!

Speaking of melting (who was?) I recall about 1958 when a pal completely melted a Hawk V-1 fuselage by using too much of the old 'hot' model cement! Looked like a missile by Sal Dali! 

12 minutes ago, W Humble said:

Speaking of melting (who was?) I recall about 1958 when a pal completely melted a Hawk V-1 fuselage by using too much of the old 'hot' model cement! Looked like a missile by Sal Dali! 

At about the same time, I "melted" the canopy of an Aurora F9F Panther so much it looked like the airplane had a chopped top! :lol: