sflam123 Posted January 10, 2022 Share Posted January 10, 2022 I received my Green Elephant kit almost exactly 6 months ago. Building this kit has simultaneously been one of the most satisfying builds and one of the most frustrating. I put more effort in to getting as much as I could historically correct and adding that extra level of detail in to this one. The paint on the body is Tamiya TS52 Candy Lime Green over grey primer. The tins are painted with Tamiya TS 20 Metallic Green. Pro-Tech braided lines were used on the engine for fuel and oil lines, and Pro-Tech spark plugs wires were used in place of the plastic lines supplied with the kit. The engine injectors and injector hat are resin parts from LPH 1320 Model Parts, and are some of the most detailed parts I've ever found. Overall the kit built up pretty much like any Revell 1/16 kit. I know Atlantis made some modifications to adjust the stance, and I made additional modifications to lower the back end and get the nose down. The use of the LPH parts necessitated modifying the interior tin in the blower area, as I raised the blower cover 5mm (approx.). From what I can find, the real car always ran two parachutes, so I built up a new mount for the parachutes and "stole" a parachute pack from another 1/16 kit. A word of caution to anyone building this kit in the future. When I received the kit, the front windshield was in two pieces, although the box was pristine and sealed. I contacted Atlantis and they immediately sent out a new windshield. HOWEVER....the new windshield cracked when I glued it in place with Testors clear plastic glue. The curvature of the windshield does not match the curvature of the body and the windshield is very thin, so it fractures with very little stress. The decals were probably the most frustrating things I've ever dealt with. The completed model is actually a combination of two separate decal sheets, both from Atlantis. The first attempt at decaling the car was an unqualified failure! The hood and roof decals WOULD NOT lay flat (despite going through a half bottle of MicroScale MicroSol!) and bubbled up as they dried. Both the white side stripes also bubbled badly. After removing the bubbled decals, I again attempted to get the decals to lay down, (using the rest of the bottle of MicroSol) and a new technique. I heated the body up with a hair dryer as the decals soaked in water. I then slid the decal on the warm-up body and applied MicroSol and with a very wet cloth continued to smooth and apply pressure to get them to lay down. I still got a small wrinkle on the hood decal, but although I'm not happy, I'm not buying another set of decals! I have been building models for just over 60 years, and at almost 68 years of age, this is probably the best I can do on detailing and assembling a model. I hope you all like it. Questions and comments welcome! 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.