Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2022. GMC Astro Cabover

Another year, another BRBO! A bit of research and watching some build videos on this kit shows it has some issues I'll have to deal with, mainly the cab sitting too high, but overall seems to be a very good kit. Not sure what look I'm going for yet, probably the ATL box stock to go with the Fruehauf trailer I built last year, but you never know! Just some clean up and sub assembly happening at the moment. I'm looking forward to problem solving the cab's height issue, I love stuff like that, Lol.

DSC02029.JPG

DSC02028.JPG

16 minutes ago, Warren D said:

Good start, I always de-chrome the engine parts.  Not sure why they chrome certain parts, maybe a carry over from the car kits.

It is odd. Chrome exhaust manifolds would look fancy on any engine but they wouldn't stay chrome for long, haha. The primer I use sticks well to chrome so I don't bother removing it, only the parting lines and any flash. I do scrape the chrome off where glue needs to be though.

17 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Chrome engine parts on semi's is rather odd. But, I like using them anyways just for the artisticness of it.

I do like a bit of chrome and I love the artwork on the box showing the engine. I might paint it up to look the same, except for chrome exhaust manifolds, that's just ridiculous, Lol.

Test fitting the cab after modifying the cab mounts and hinges to get the cab sitting a little lower. Still looks a bit high, the bumper is quite a way off the ground, but I can't lower it anymore without the front of the cab interfering with the front of the chassis or affecting clearance between the interior and engine, it's as low as it can go. I cut a couple of mm off the cab mounts and the springs that sit on them and also tucked the hinges up a little further in the cab. The gear shifter plate fits perfectly in the hole in the floor but I needed like six hands doing all this!

DSC02049.JPG

DSC02058.JPG

DSC02043.JPG

DSC02048.JPG

DSC02077.JPG

The cab still looked a little high to me so I managed to lower it a bit more. I had to cut the top front of the frame, just under the hinge brackets, for the cab to clear it when tilting it forward. Easy fix and I've seen some frames with those notches already there for exactly that reason. The only other mod I had to do was lower the fuel filter on top the engine about 2mm as it was hitting the cab floor.

DSC02079.JPG

DSC02088.JPG

DSC02090.JPG

I won't be using the round tanks on this. They are so clunky and ill fitting it's like AMT forgot to make tanks for it and threw in a set from a completely different kit, not to mention the ground clearance when they're fitted. This poor GMC wouldn't fare well at the slightest of railroad humps! I'll be using the square tanks on this, they fit and line up just fine to the locating points, these round ones don't fit anywhere.

DSC02107.JPG

DSC02110.JPG

DSC02103.JPG

I didn't like the simplified rear wheels, they look like barrels with tyres on. If the tyres covered them it wouldn't be an issue but the gap is too wide for my liking. I shaved down one of each wheel rim by about half so I can push the inner tyre closer to the outer one. The wheels look like they stick out a bit after that, but cutting a small amount off the wheel hub brings it in and actually looks a lot better as they looked like they were sticking out too far to begin with.

DSC02121.JPG

DSC02137.JPG

Sanded down the rest of the inner rims, now the tyres hide the barrels and look much nicer. The wheels stick out after bringing the inner tyres in, so I cut a small amount off each hub, the part where the axle pin go's in, to bring them in closer to the backplates.

DSC02171.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

The engine has a fair bit of tilt to it. Looking at pictures of the real truck it looks like the engine sits level. Cutting off the engine mount and the plate on the front of the engine sump brought it down enough but then the cross member that sits over the gearbox was stopping the front from going down any further. I shaved a little off the back of the box and the crossmember until the rear sat high enough and brought the front down.

DSC02201.JPG

DSC02177.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

... I then had to drop the rad as it now sat too high, and found it hit the floor of the cab after lowering it. Easy fix, just trim a couple mm off the lower sides where it sits in-between the frame. Fixing the cab height left little room under there but you get it all back if you do this fix.

DSC02189.JPG

1 hour ago, Warren D said:

I'll be taking note of your mods for when I get to mine.

Sure man, hope this thread helps. I'm not very good at explaining the mods I do, I tend to get very long winded, though I try not to. If you need pics of an area I forgot to show just ask and I'll get the camera out.👍

The wiper blades that come with kit look terrible so thought I'd try making my own. After I did the wipers I tried my hand at making a functioning cab jack, lol. It might not work cos there's other bits I would need to make to attach it to the cab, but I'm having fun making these little mods and it's all practice.

DSC02220.JPG

DSC02221.JPG

DSC02224.JPG