Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Pontiac Tempest dune-buggy drawing fron 1970

W Humble

Back in the days of 'water-pumper' dune racers, I drew up this idea for one based on the early Tempest drive train, minus the 'rope shaft' driveshaft, which allowed it to place the engine really close to the transaxle for traction, etc.  I did this while a GI artist at Ft. Sam Houston TX, when the duty sgt. wasn't looking.  Not detailed, just a concept.  Try and find a Tempest four (much less transaxle) in any scale!  I made a version of the '61 Tempest Monte Carlo roadster (shortened wheelbase, GMC blown four, etc.) like PMD sent out on the show circuit, also revamped in '62.  It apparently was in a museum in San Antone later, and if you google for it, you get something that has a convertible top, which the original did not, I think.  Anyhow, I was impressed.  Wick Humble  MA, Art 1974 CSU Chico CA

Oh never mind: it's PDF, I guess!  HELP?

Mike,

Thanks; my laptop hides photo files from me; I hope I can find 'default viewing program' in W -10.  I scanned the artwork in, but moving it from the 'downloads' bin is always a merry chase.  OC, I'm 76 years old and would rather spend my time working on my 1960-65 stash of kits!

Thanks, MeatMan, Casey, et al!  A long fascination with IRS cars, and domestically, the PMD Tempest has inflicted me for a long time; my fave is the Datsun 240Z, which I have owned since July 1970 (various ones) has a nice design.  OC the swing-axle derived from the gen 1 Corvair wasn't quite 'it', but for the money, DeLorean did his best.  In 1976, I wrote the history of the Tempest first iteration, and I now have a restored '62 ragtop.  I also wrote HOW TO RESTORE YOUR DATSUN Z-CAR (CA Bill's Automotive Handbooks, 1991 -- and we hope the revised edtion in '22!)  NISSAN USA bought back my '70 in '95 for a display car.

When I switched to writing, most of my art skills declined, but in '70 I was a SP5 in the US Army stationed at Ft. Sam Houston TX as an illustrator for the Medical Corps at the Medical Field Service School; got a MA in '73 on the GI Bill, later taught.  The Tempest was/is a sorta quirky little ride, and the dune buggy I proposed might well have worked recreationally, for good weight distribution and suspension (the V-W front assy isn't noted in the pic) plus very good power; 166-bhp with the 4-bbl option in '63.  The '63, btw, had a much improved suspension.  

I have an AMT '63 LeMans convert kit that I built 'back when' as a 421-cid 'Powershift' or 'Super-Duty' factory race car (about 12-13 built by PMD before GM decreed no factory racing support!) with the Royal Pontiac decals -- and engine -- from the 62-3 Bonneville kit. and a '61 AMT 4-dr sedan kit converted into the shortened 'Monte Carlo' roadster show car -- my version, anyway.  I'd like to have a kit to build a replica of my '62 convert, but prices...!!!  'Little Indians' chapter of POCI is a source for all Tempest research; they have my articles on archive files, and a lot more published stuff.  Wick

This is my first try to contribute pics, I have a lot more that might be of interest, some scanned.  Should I?

• 4 months later...

very cool!

in 1978 i bought a tempest convert with the 4 and a manual transmission

the price? 35.00

drug it home, kept the trans, associated rear axle parts, bellhousing etc has aspirations of a rear-engined bird cage wonder... NEVER happened.....

I parted out a (1;1) LeMans this winter -- complete rust-bucket/parts car -- and sold the rolling chassis to a guy who wants to do something equally silly with it.  It's the swing-axles that limit the Tempest IRS so much; inherited from Corvair, which didn't get the real IRS with double-u-jointed half-shafts until '65, when the Tempest had converted to the A-body iteration (GTO, etc.)  DeLorean like M-B IRS, wanted to give all Pontiacs one c. 1959-60, or so the story goes; GM said NO!

I wrote the Tempest development history in 1978 for SPECIAL INTEREST AUTOS Magazine, part of Hemmings Motor News.  The 'Little Indians' Tempest club has it in their archive.  Also did one on the 1961-63 racing career, incl. the 'Super Duty' 421 Tempest racers, etc.  Alway a fascination!!  I did a little snooping around for a buildable '62 ragtop (or coupe) 1;25 kit, but no buy.  My '61 Monte Carlo Tempest 'dream car' build has a authentic '62 four-banger as built by M/T, tho.

Have a restored 1962 LeMans convertible, but can't sell it for $35.00; more like $15K, but it's prob the lowest priced restored US ragtop on the market!  Wick

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sure hope I haven't duplicated from another topic; here are three tho one isn't a car!  The drawing with the custom '63 Galaxie is by my HS pal, Tom Johnson, who got on probation and 'had to join the army not long afterwards!  We later drag-raced his H-D Sportster and won a Street Eliminator locally.  The Comet/Dodge was a semi-fantasy from '64?  Have lots more! Wick

B29 sagdrag jwh 89.jpg

tj jwh 63 galaxie .jpg

Comet Dodge match race 65.jpg

• 5 months later...

Just turned 78, and your praise is music to my ears! Thank you!  Wish I had time for more!!

I have mentioned it in other places, but I have (besides my 1990 book 'How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car', still in print) three novels set in 1959, 62 and '64 about a group of teenage friends on Kindle (eBook and paperback) called "A Place on Mars" -- not about sci-fi, but adventures in a small western town.  "The Flood", "The Wildfire", and "The Explosion" -- soon to be joined by "The Hunt" and tentatively "The Scandal".  Lots of cars -- even AMT 3-in-1 kit references -- danger, comraderie, and feel-good endings.  Below is the cover art I did for number III, the aftermath of the explosion of a Titan I nuclear missile -- which happened in our town!

Wickimage.png.8e7176227f929764b3f721a7fa7802be.png