Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Bronco with the turbo V6

cobraman

Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere and I missed it ?   I have been reading that there are engines are failing . From what I read it’s something to do with valve train parts from a third party supplier . Problems have occurred with as little as 3 miles but mostly at less than 3,000 miles . Anyone have more knowledge about this ? 

Colour me "not surprised".

It seems that it is harder and harder for companies (any company) to "Get Things Right The First Time" anymore. Projects with years of planning suffer from last minute glitches and simple mistakes that were never caught in QC.

I can guess why this happens more frequently now, but I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Edited by alexis

When the newest Jeep Wrangler came out, there were QC problems regarding welds on the frame. When the new F-150 came out, there were customers receiving their new trucks with surface rust all over the rear axles. 

It’s generally a good rule of thumb to avoid the first model year of a clean sheet design. Let them get all the kinks worked out, whether it be design defects or factory defects. Especially nowadays given how complex modern cars can be. 

All that I'd read was "Bronco", "Turbo", and "V6" and I smelled trouble. Must be that FœcalBoost or whatever it's called now. 

Any gasoline engine with an oxidiser --turbo or super charger-- isn't going to last as long as a naturally-aspirated equivalent. Even more better yet: put a frickin' V8 in there instead of fancy pants turbos and other wizardry. 

C.A.F.E. standards need to disappear.

4 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I can't imagine spending what 45 ,50 grand or more for a new ride and the engine going out in a couple thousand miles.

I wouldn't be happy.   That it's under warranty is a consolation, but I definitely would be upset and wary of the brand.  I've always waited until a year or two into a new design before considering buying a particular model.  I'm interested in the new 5th gen WL Grand Cherokee, but am in no rush to trade up from my '14 WK2 GC..  I'm looking forward to seeing the new straight 6 that is coming in a year or two..

17 hours ago, alexis said:

Colour me "not surprised".

It seems that it is harder and harder for companies (any company) to "Get Things Right The First Time" anymore. Projects with years of planning suffer from last minute glitches and simple mistakes that were never caught in QC.

I can guess why this happens more frequently now, but I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Here's the problem a large part of the problem: when you hire and promote your engineering and development staff for any reasons OTHER than ability, competence, and experience, you're doomed to fail eventually. All engineers are NOT created equal, and anyone who believes they are is a fool.

Then when you fail to implement brutal-beyond-real-world testing before you sign anything off for production, you're doomed to failure too.

One more thing that's simple common sense: vehicle designers and engineers should be required to work hands-on in the "lower" echelons of the industry, see how things break, what it takes to maintain them, and how body and mechanical repair procedures operate in reality, before they're green-lighted to design and develop ANYTHING new.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ACCURACY
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, alexis said:

Well, Bill, I agree with you, but I think it goes much deeper than what you mention.

There's a lot going on both here and globally that we are forbidden to address on this forum.

Suffice it to say...without, I believe, breaching any rules...that we're seeing Idiocracy, Atlas Shrugged, and 1984 beginning to play out simultaneously in reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

implement brutal beyond-real-world testing before you sign anything off for production

I read once that Mercedes used to run their cars on a test track before they committed to producing any of their models..... One part of the test course was a completely vertical banked curve that the car had to go up on and follow without the drivers hands on the wheel. I thought that pretty interesting.....

Do any of the major manufacturers still do those kinds of tests?

I'd assume there is extensive torture tests of new vehicles, esp. something like the Bronco that is supposed to be as rugged and capable off road as the Wrangler.

Speaking of Mercedes tests and durability, I love the old '80s-90s W126 S-class and '80s-90s W124 E-class...I had an '84 500SEL and my sister had a '91 300CE, they were built like tanks...even as old cars w/ 200k miles the S-class was tight and smooth..felt as solid as a bank vault.   

13 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

...Do any of the major manufacturers still do those kinds of tests?

All 3 US manufacturers still have testing facilities, Chrysler's being not too far from my place in AZ., and at least one other is in the same general area (I think).

But having a facility and testing pre-production vehicles to destruction to eliminate weak points are, however, two different things.

With a corporate culture that pushes rush-rush-rush, cost-cutting over quality, and individuals often reluctant to stick their heads up, you have another recipe for disaster.

Anybody recall GM's little ignition switch mess that resulted in a $10 BILLION class-action lawsuit?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/new-10b-gm-ignition-switch-class-action-lawsuit-filed/

Apparently the final settlement was much less, but the cost of recalls, wrongful death settlements, etc. isn't included below.

https://reverbpress.com/gm-ignition-switch-economic-settlement/

Things like this, and engines going boom in new vehicles aren't just oopsies.

They're indicative of management failure, period.

I work for a Ford dealer. We haven't had any engine related issues with our Broncos yet, but we've had a couple of roof-related issues. Hardtops delaminating, soft top not folding correctly.

We've probably delivered 50 of them so far. 

Unrelated, but I'd just like to say that the new Bronco has the ugliest engine bay ever created.

Look at this mess.

981213162_broncoengine.jpg.37710bd6ad3ed889ec5a40586446fddf.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I work for a Ford dealer. We haven't had any engine related issues with our Broncos yet, but we've had a couple of roof-related issues. Hardtops delaminating, soft top not folding correctly.

We've probably delivered 50 of them so far. 

Unrelated, but I'd just like to say that the new Bronco has the ugliest engine bay ever created.

Look at this mess.

Ick...needs a cover over that mess. 

I’d rather see the electrical components, hoses, wires, valve covers, and intake manifold rather than a chinsy plastic cover that I’d need to take off to work on the vehicle anyway.

Granted, that is a convoluted and unattractive sight under the hood. It seems most auto manufacturers these days are no stranger to having complicated solutions for simple problems.

Edited by Smoke Wagon

39 minutes ago, Mark said:

There is one...it just happens to be open for the picture...

According to what I'm finding on the interdweebs, that's not the case.

There are multiple threads about what Bronco owners who don't care for the scrap-parts-pile look (posted above) are doing about retrofitting covers from other stuff to tidy up the mess somewhat.

Here's one:   https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-engine-cover.23185/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Look at this mess.

That look isn't new:

5ceb8c2d5b22bb916770fc1ad4d22d4763a300df

😜 (and yes, the above is a fabulous engine, and nothing like so hard to work on as it might look, I'm reliably informed...)

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon