Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to the thread about Volvo's real-world numbers regarding the payback curves of EVs?

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'm starting to think this isn't the right place for some of you.

Herein lies the rub. Thinking or assuming what choices another person has available are not within the purview of someone else, even a moderator.

4 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I think I figured it out. It's like Minority Report. Locked to prevent future crimes. :D

That pretty much describes a petty tyranny. Acting to prevent any assumed violation occurs even if there is no legitimate evidence that anything will actually happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We all have choices. It’s in TOS. Not locked. 
User makes choice to follow or not. 
Break TOS? Your board, NBD. Not your board? Cya. 

If you think this is a petty tyranny and you live where you do, ya gotta write a book. 🤣💀
And anyone (not just Joe) who has been here a bit knows exactly where some stuff goes. Always. 

People attack mods, manufacturers, authors, or just others. It’s uncalled for. Friggin “I know you are, but what am I?” puerile b.s.  

• Like 4

Bill, it seems that the consensus is that we're not intellectually mature enough to discuss anything more complex than the pros and cons of accessory items included in 60+ year old model kits without devolving into a flame war.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will chime in here real quick. Some of you have been here long enough to know which topics can easily veer into politics or religion. You also know that isn't allowed. When a topic is borderline we let it go a bit to which direction it will head. All it takes is one person testing the limits to completely derail a topic. We now just hide the topics if it becomes to far gone. By the way, it is for us mods to decide what is to far gone (or political, or religious), not the regular posters, lurkers or pot stirrers. At some point all the general discussion will probably go away and we will stick with the model related topics. Much easier for everyone, especially the mods.

Just a reminder, it is also against forum rules to continually bash the moderators and their decisions. Going forward, that rule will now be more strictly enforced.

We are tired of the same old argument, of how your views are oppressed and how we are contributing to the downfall of our society, or free speech, or whatever phrase you want to latch on to. This is a model building site, NOT a general discussion board.

• Like 1

@Ace-Garageguy

Bill, a few of us here love that discussion, obvs. But the Peter Griffins kill the fun. Karen’s too. I’d like to have a cigar with more than a few here, and many of my closest friends are on another car board. Sadly, no scotch or cigars, and wrong venue. 
You and I, others can discuss offline/pm and will listen and comment. Even if fos. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣 That’s not the case in the peanut gallery. 
Best intentions don’t help. 
This was a pre-grid warm up lap that left this innocent hanging. Like a thread derail. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻

CA27B3A3-E4C0-4207-B7CC-554F681B47B9.jpeg.3b2d3ca98536b91efe47a21709a37457.jpeg

Edited by keyser
Pic crop

6 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I don't agree with the premise that those two subjects should be off limits in a sub-forum which is supposed to be where off-topic (non-modeling-related) subjects are discussed. 

There is no premise. This is not Logic, Argumentaion and Debate 103 at University. You are capable of reading and understanding the rules, then deciding if you wish to participate while staying within those limits. Nobody is entitled to free speech on a private forum. Your civil rights aren't being violated, and you aren't being censored by evil tyrants.

Yes, it probably IS you. Sometimes we have to put on our big boy pants and self reflect, understanding that we can be wrong at times, and that our own personal selfish wants, desires, and preferences do not align with the forum membership as a whole.

I get plenty frustrated at times by things I read here, but then I realize I'm not special and move on with my life. You learn to ignore and avoid things which frustrate, irritate, and annoy you as a balanced adult, even though that usually comes at some cost. Such is life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm entitled to my opinion even if you, or anyone else, disagrees with it. As far as I know, opinions aren't against forum rules.

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Having them is OK. It's just expressing them that's verboten.  ;)

You guys really aren’t the derailers. More like a “turd butterfly effect”.  It ain’t personal imo. I’m firing up a Padron right now for your souls. My irreligious incense  😶🌫️

9B95445B-63DC-400B-AA59-848F83AF8604.jpeg.c1b62bcfe3e2868e702a76764b6accbf.jpeg

A0995E0D-2A8E-4236-BBAB-0E686973F8B1.jpeg.0f6cb1bef4413773d7bc9186294e848e.jpeg

I tell y'all what...to the best of my ability, I'll never bring up anything that could possibly be stretched to be of a political nature by the most creative interpretation of the term "political".

Guess I need to brush up on my dead-celeb-du-jour knowledge...but OMG OMG!!! What happens if somebody dead once expressed a political opinion on some website decades ago?

Well, that's right out. Looks like it's down to kitty pix and what I had for dinner yesterday.

Seems like even building model cars could be construed as supporting a particular position relative to some political idiocy or other, so that might be a shaky-ground topic under the right circumstances.

Some days you just can't win.   B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm entitled to my opinion even if you, or anyone else, disagrees with it. As far as I know, opinions aren't against forum rules.

It's not having, but rather publicly sharing those opinions publicly which may be against the forum rules. 

The rules are very clear here, and Xingu/Mike has always leaned toward allowing questionable discussions proceed, so it's pretty hard to make a case for being a victim here.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slappylimper said:

Wow. I was thinking of joining but I'm not sure I want to. People resorting to insults and unpleasant behaviour because they can't post political rants? Is this really what this forum is all about?

Nobody is tossing around insults or engaging in bad behavior in this thread. If this were the case, you'd be unable to post a comment because the thread would have been locked.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Ever heard the phrase "petty tyrant"? 

Straw-man much?

You know, maybe it explains it all that apparently you didn't mean ANY disrespect there, and obviously think those types of comments are high compliments. 

That pretty much describes a petty tyranny. Acting to prevent any assumed violation occurs even if there is no legitimate evidence that anything will actually happen.

Seriously, you folks think that thread moderation is tyranny. I just want to get straight. Not one but two of you used that word to describe the removal of a thread (not in any way about model cars, it should be noted). You agreed to terms-of-service. Seems simple enough, but apparently in the world where it's considered tyranny to have a TOS agreement you don't agree with 100% of the time, I guess I can see how you'd be stirred to your righteous cause. Fight the power!

If this is the biggest problem you have today, I hope you never have any actual important problems confront you in life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hmmm, I was just contemplating whether or not my decision to keep my distance from this board was the right decision or not. 

The moderators are right.

There are other places online that embrace differing opinions, no matter the topic.

I even came across a modeling group on Facebook for adults, where individuals are treated as such.

There’s not even any language police!

I was shocked!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Xingu locked this topic