Model Cars Magazine Forum

7 Day Challenge: S&H Ford Torino

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Day Eight: 
Today was the day of the ancillaries. 

I got the side mirrors finished and ready to install. 

Did a black wash on the headlights to add some depth.

Got the rear trim panel painted and decalled.

Started adding the parking light/turn signal detail to the grille.

Painted the reversing lights onto the tail lights.

Painted the rear license plate frame and mounted the decal.
274879575_SH_Torino_22.jpg.04d6482ff0d46cb272b27eb4c3e157f5.jpg

The corner fillers are painted and installed. 
527538615_SH_Torino_23.jpg.db153052dd4ccfa1e3b682a7ed71e311.jpg

I also placed some of the script decals. I know that the paint is a bit orange peeled but it should still look good on the shelf.

1298167098_SH_Torino_24.jpg.310e236af4db6ea9c4428bd8d74eca19.jpg

That's all for today, I do feel like I'm in the home stretch with this one.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Really nice work David, I have enjoyed reading thru you build and great save on the paint that

could have went the other way easily. Your patience made a big difference.

I have been some behind on the build threads of people I like to follow..

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Really nice work David, I have enjoyed reading thru you build and great save on the paint that

could have went the other way easily. Your patience made a big difference.

I have been some behind on the build threads of people I like to follow..

Thank you Carl. For me, getting a decent paint job is still as much about luck as it is about skill or patience.

8 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

An interesting challenge. Coming along nicely.

Thank you Bob, I appreciate that.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Day Nine of Seven:
Finishing up the fiddly bits. 

The side mirrors have chrome inserts to simulate the glass mirror part- nice! 

I completed the rear tail light and trim piece and added a couple of coats of clear acrylic to the "Torino" badge on the gas filler door.

The turn signal details on the grille are finished and the badge decal has been added.

911549111_SH_Torino_25.jpg.53fa85483adceebcbdbbc7b0a3cf573e.jpg

This may not look like a lot of work but I have almost all of my entire two hour build session invested in placing these massive decals. Revell made them pretty easy to work with, but work it was, nonetheless.

15694162_SH_Torino_26.jpg.c382c17db4faa8aa5b5784c69a440b19.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and comments are appreciated.

David G.

23 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great!  The decal looks superb!  

Thanks Chaz, they were a bit tricky but not too bad.

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Decals look really nice..

Thank you Carl, except for a few small wrinkles, I'm happy with how well they went on.

David G.

18 hours ago, espo said:

Nice looking detailing of all the trim parts. 

Thank you David.

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Your close to the finish line on this one David…

I am indeed Carl, I am indeed.

David G.

Looks like one more day and it will be finished. 10 days is still a good time frame.  Issues with paint can always slow progress but you managed to overcome them.

You've done some nice clean work in a short period of time.  Be curious what total build time is. Hope you try another challenge again. I'm definitely going to do one myself.

21 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Looks like one more day and it will be finished. 10 days is still a good time frame.  Issues with paint can always slow progress but you managed to overcome them.

You've done some nice clean work in a short period of time.  Be curious what total build time is. Hope you try another challenge again. I'm definitely going to do one myself.

Hello Bob, thanks for your comment.

As you'll see in the next post, I didn't get it finished up on Day Ten but this is one of the quicker builds I've put together.  I do have a spreadsheet I use to keep track of all my builds: Start Date, Last Date Worked, Date Completed and Total Hours Worked. On the last post, I'll total up the hours and throw it in there.

I tend to think of my builds in hours and sessions rather than days but "7 Day Challenge" sounded better than "32.75 Hours Challenge". I can usually work between one and three hours per session. I'm planning to complete two two-hour sessions per day and finish with a total build time of less than thirty hours. That's the plan any way.

Thank you for the compliment, I'm rather pleased with the way this one is turning out.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Day Ten:
After a few days and some occasional chemical coaxing with Micro-Sol solution, the decals are nicely settled into place. I also darkened the panel lines around the doors and trunk with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color. 

Before going on to take care of the chrome trim around the windows and on the rocker panels, I decided that I wanted to spray a clear coat to help protect the decals and blend their sheen better with the rest of the body. I don't often use clear coat so I'm not well practiced with it. It didn't come out as well as I would have liked but it's not bad and I think I can smooth it out.

824387140_SH_Torino_27.jpg.c5df93af35fe4ea0586d4947ce96f32b.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Day Eleven of Seven:
After allowing the clear coat to cure for a few days I polished it out. There's still a bit of orange peel going on but I lack the courage to push it further and risk burning through the clear coat. We've all had that "just a little more becoming too much" experience. I can live with this.  

901201038_SH_Torino_28.jpg.3a97c81e0bf36f55c2687561c707dbeb.jpg

I even started throwing some foil at it and managed to get the rocker panels covered. I think I've worked out a method for applying this recent less-than-optimal version of Bare Metal Foil. I use a thinned PVA solution applied to the area with a small cotton bud right before laying the foil down. The PVA allows enough workability and any overage cleans up easily. And so far, it seems to stick well enough.

I sank about 2 hours into this session for the polishing and foil work.

1829258827_SH_Torino_29.jpg.26f220948fa7ca69cc449b0eaa79876c.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and as always, please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

1 hour ago, Zen said:

Looking good! What is PVA?

Thank you Zenon.

PVA is polyvinyl acetate, or white glue. Essentially Elmer's Glue of some form or another. I used Zap brand Canopy Glue in this case.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Welcome to Day Twelve of Seven.
In a three hour build day split into two sessions, I managed to get the foil work completed. The trim on the front wheel arcs are painted on with a Molotow pen. I'll also be using some Molotow to touch up a few areas where the foil didn't lay down as well as I would have liked.

1820183789_SH_Torino_30.jpg.18e3e2dd60f23c8b3267b8062653b611.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Day Thirteen of Seven:
I thought that this was going to be the finishing session but alas, it was not to be. It is at about 95% completion though. The glass has been installed. The windshield is temporarily secured with masking tape, just like in the real world. This is one of the two things that kept this from being the final session. All the other glass snapped securely into place like they were designed for a snap-kit.

The rear view mirror, grille, headlight pods and both bumpers are in place leaving only the sideview mirrors, front license plate and gumball machine to install.

1424297002_SH_Torino_31.jpg.00be9547a8f357b767bad005361e1484.jpg

The other little hang-up was the rear tail light trim piece not having enough of an arc to conform to the curve of the rear panel below the trunk lid. Upon gluing the part into place, the left side settled in and held fast while the right wanted to spring away from the body. Even after clamping it in place for about ten minutes, it still popped out when I released the clamps so I taped it down and let it cure over night.

84450315_SH_Torino_32.jpg.791e6f022384a92f6be897a543126ca9.jpg

That's all for this update, the next step is final assembly and completion. My next posting on this project will (hopefully) be in the Under Glass section.

Thanks to those of you who followed along, I always enjoy your comments.

David G.