Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found one. Thanks. Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe

LDO

I would definitely say that is fake box art. Fujimi only ever reboxed the Revell 300 SLR race car, and the Uhlenhaut Coupe was only done by Revell, at least according to Scalemates and most other sources I’ve searched. But good luck searching for one, I guess. As for the AMT and Tamiya kits, as someone already pointed out, they are a different car all together (300 SL Gullwing)… similar name and design, but not nearly the same. One is an SL, the other SLR.

Edited by PowerPlant
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 11:01 AM, PowerPlant said:

I would definitely say that is fake box art. Fujimi only ever reboxed the Revell 300 SLR race car, and the Uhlenhaut Coupe was only done by Revell, at least according to Scalemates and most other sources I’ve searched. But good luck searching for one, I guess. As for the AMT and Tamiya kits, as someone already pointed out, they are a different car all together (300 SL Gullwing)… similar name and design, but not nearly the same. One is an SL, the other SLR.

I've been looking at that on eBay, searched ScaleMates and see ZERO Fujimi 300 SLR Coupe listed.  Was wondering if that's a scam.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:50 AM, LDO said:

I think it may have been for the Japanese market only. I’ve seen Italeri aircraft reboxed as Tamiya for “JDM”. 

Here are a couple of links which show the Fujimi kit, with instructions and art from the sides and ends of the kit box. 

https://ferrari-f40.tistory.com/1686

https://ferrari-f40.tistory.com/172?category=505485

That is very interesting. Photos in the links you posted look convincingly real indeed. It could still be some crafty PS, or even an entire faux-box and instructions, but I don’t see why anyone would go through so much trouble. More likely, as you suggest, it may perhaps be some sort of rare Japanese market prototype kit or limited test run release that never made it into final production - much like the car itself? I have heard of some Japanese kits like that, but never seen one of these before. Does anyone know more about it? I am quite intrigued. Apologies about rambling in your wanted thread btw!

On 5/21/2022 at 10:22 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Split window roof, 58 hood and a 54 front and rear? Maybe just scribe the door lines for the gullwing door?

I agree.

I see three easily found Corvette kits in that illustration. Might be quicker to start from there.

Sounds good to me. Let me know what you want for it. 

I have an AMT 1963 in 1/25. I can check the fit of that. If it’s too small, I was thinking of the Monogram 1/24 1965 Corvette, and grafting in a split window. 

On 5/22/2022 at 12:22 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Split window roof, 58 hood and a 54 front and rear? Maybe just scribe the door lines for the gullwing door?

Was thinking the same thing. The Kaucher design has more Vette in it than Mercedes. Only thing I see are the "hints" from the Gullwing designed Merc.. 

• LDO changed the title to Found one. Thanks. Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe