Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting a new build while waiting on parts for the Brock 360.  I built the original about 40 years ago and still have it (minus the exhaust stack).  I need a break from trucks so this should scratch that itch.  I got the new kit and decided to add some PE so I got the CTM details.  I'm using replacement tracks and will add a ROPS from Jamie.  My biggest concern is the grill, guess I need to take my time and keep my fingers crossed.

P1030372.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I have one of those to build also.  Biggest complaint over the years has been the tracks.  Way to clunky.  One of these days I just may get it out and do something with it. 

The aftermarket tracks seem pretty good, 3D printed and they look much better than those in the kit.  I'm sure once you get going you'll do your normal excellent work.

4 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Warren I’m glad to see you starting your dozer. My remaining aftermarket parts are arriving next Tuesday so I can finish mine. I’ll take lots of pictures on how I do my grill and post them for you. 

Thanks, I've been working various parts this afternoon, CTM instructions are a little shaky......some of these PE parts are SMALL!!!!!

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

I've toyed around with picking one of these up, but the lack of Caterpillar logos really annoys me.  I'll be watching this build with interest.

You can get the original decals from Jerry @ Modeltruckin'.  I think I have a couple sets I bought a couple of years ago, I should probably hunt them down sooner than later!

Other PE work, the floor of the cab.  I ground off the molded on diamond plate prior to mounting the PE.  I also got the battery box done.  The CTM instructions seem to indicate that the radiator screen should go on the inside but I put it on the outside as it will probably be seen thru the grill.

P1030374.jpg

P1030375.jpg

P1030378.jpg

• Like 2

Another lesson learned the hard way.  I got the frame together and the radiator in.  I then checked the fit of the nose (with the grill) and found out the frame is 1/16" wider.  I want the nose to fit flush with the sides so carefully removed the radiator, shaved it down and re-installed.  The nose now will sit flush with the sides.  If I build another one, I'll check the fit first!  (If I remember.  It's been about 40 years since the first one so not likely I'll be around in another 40!)

P1030379.jpg

The tractor body is coming along, got the floor and fuel/hydro tanks installed.  At some point very soon, I'll need to start painting.  As for the grill, I decided I wanted the PE grill to sit flush with the surroundings as I've seen in photos of the real thing.  That meant precision removal of the center section.  I taped the PE grill over the nose and scored around the perimeter with a new #11 blade.  I removed the PE and used very fine toothed saws to remove the inner section.  I then used 0.30 square stock as a backer.  I'm generally pleased with the result, I have to add the bolt head detail.  It isn't quite perfect, but I'm satisfied.

P1030380.jpg

P1030381.jpg

Started working on the tracks, these are aftermarket.  I started by painting them yellow, holding an arc as if they were going around the sprocket.  I did this to get paint into the joints.  I use Polyscale, the tracks are 3D printed and don't need primer as the Pollyscale sticks to 3D prints and resin as good as any primer I've used.  Next, I laid the tracks face up and flat and sprayed them with Testors chrome in a rattle can.  A quick touch up on the backs with more yellow and I ran some steel wool over the chrome to "scratch it up".  When the tracks are on the sprocket, you'll see the yellow paint between the grousers.  The look I'm going for is a newer (or newly repainted) unit with some light use.

P1030382.jpg

P1030384.jpg

9 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Tracks look good Warren they will have that newly painted affect when you have them on. What yellow paint are you using?

I'm using my own blend of Pollyscale yellows.  Looks like the older Cats I saw when growing up.  Pics have a little green tint that isn't there.

Looking great so far. I weathered mine to hid most of the lack of detail, especially the front grill. Wish we had more access to PE and decals in the UK as this kit really lacks it. Also the tracks has some of the mouldings missing so not all of them clicked in.20210102_150140.thumb.jpg.a7b702365446bbe74c45779e44c72286.jpg20210102_150151.thumb.jpg.216e1cdfd24aa8e502922776766d1a5b.jpg20210102_150216.thumb.jpg.3b3db2e44b0bb4337240e41647b2e1ba.jpg