Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need ideas for replacing Testors/Model Master gloss, semi-gloss and flat clears.

I'm running pretty low on these clears and was wondering what you guys are using to replace them.  

I work almost exclusively with enamels, if that matters.  

If possible, I'd like to stay with one mfr.  Does Revell offer anything other than a gloss clear?

For benign and easy to use clear coats, I use Tamiya acrylics. Safe over anything, and available in gloss, flat, and semi-gloss. If I want a sheen in between those choices, I mix them to get what I want. For example, if semi-gloss still has a bit too much texture, I mix it 1:1 with gloss, or mix it 1:1 with flat if I want a bit more texture but not dead flat. An added bonus with acrylics is they don't yellow over time, which most enamel clears will do.

Edited by Bainford
squirrel!

42 minutes ago, Bainford said:

For benign and easy to use clear coats, I use Tamiya acrylics. Safe over anything, and available in gloss, flat, and semi-gloss. If I want a sheen in between those choices, I mix them to get what I want. For example, if semi-gloss still has a bit too much texture, I mix it 1:1 with gloss, or mix it 1:1 with flat if I want a bit more texture but not dead flat. An added bonus with acrylics is they don't yellow over time, which most enamel clears will do.

Do you use the TS line over the enamel Trevor? I have a few cans of enamel with plans of using two or three of them. Plus, I have an old project that has enamel with no clear. It's over twenty years old. So, there's no way to do a similar test. 

Roger, I am one of probably a half-dozen or so car modellers on the planet that has never shot Tamiya TS clear over anything. There is no particular reason for this, I just always had something else around when I needed a clear.

38 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Roger, I am one of probably a half-dozen or so car modellers on the planet that has never shot Tamiya TS clear over anything. There is no particular reason for this, I just always had something else around when I needed a clear.

Which Tamiya clear do you use? I have very little experience with anything outside of the sprays.

30 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Which Tamiya clear do you use? I have very little experience with anything outside of the sprays.

I use the Tamiya acrylic clears for most of my clearing. It's a decent clear without the glaring, unrealistic shine that some clears seem to have, and it is safe over everything, and is non-yellowing. I will sometimes use Alclad clears, mostly because I just happen to have some on hand and the results look good, but they are lacquer, so may react with enamels.

However, having said that, I don't use clear coats on many builds if the paint is a solid colour, and most of my builds are solid colours. On metallics I always use a clear.

7 hours ago, kurth said:

Are you looking for a spray can, or bottle?

The Testors / Model Master sprays I'd been using were usually decanted before use, but I'd vastly prefer to have any future clears in bottles.   

Looks like Revell offers a gloss clear and a matte clear (I assume flat).  Anyone used them?

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Yes to both. I like them.

The simplest way to find out what acrylic clear gloss and flats are available is to use Google.

Google's a great resource, but in my mind firsthand knowledge from fellow hobbyists is better.  For example, finding out that acrylic clears work well on enamel paint kinda surprised me since I once tried using an acrylic candy paint over an enamel base and it didn't work out well.  Also, most of us knew or learned not to use a "real" lacquer over an enamel because it'll destroy the paint.  Based on past experiences, I assumed it would be best to stay with one kind of paint (enamel, acrylic, lacquer) as much as possible. 

Glad to hear you've had good experiences with the Revell clears.  The few bits of info I've found regarding their enamels indicate they're very well made.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Monty said:

The Testors / Model Master sprays I'd been using were usually decanted before use, but I'd vastly prefer to have any future clears in bottles.   

Looks like Revell offers a gloss clear and a matte clear (I assume flat).  Anyone used them?

Testors still offers the Glosscote Lacquer and Dullcote lacquer in bottles.  For semi gloss you can mix them to get the sheen you desire. 

Lots of other good suggestions in this thread, the Tamiya Acrylics, and Mr. Color offerings are even better choices.  Though for a good flat coat Testors Dullcote is great.