Model Cars Magazine Forum

New JPS Lotus 72 F1 Kit

Airfix/Hornby under the Pocher name will be releasng a 1/8th scale Lotus 72 John Player Special Formula 1 Racing Car Kit this year.

I think it may be one that Emerson Fittipaldi may have driven.

One for F1 enthusiasts to look out for, especially super detailing modellers.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 4:41 AM, Dave Van said:

Gotta be the old Entex kit. Can't see a all new tool of that car. Wonder what the $$$$ will be?

Could be a Tamiya. They did a 1/12 version too.

I've got the 1/20 version of the kit along with an old Tomy "Pocket Cars" diecast and an empty box of Player cigarettes to display with it when it's completed. 

Very "non-PC" I know, but when my dad smoked, he happened to have that brand once and I thought it was cool to go with the kit, so I kept the box. Been together since the 80s. 

51 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Could be a Tamiya. They did a 1/12 version too.

I've got the 1/20 version of the kit along with an old Tomy "Pocket Cars" diecast and an empty box of Player cigarettes to display with it when it's completed. 

Very "non-PC" I know, but when my dad smoked, he happened to have that brand once and I thought it was cool to go with the kit, so I kept the box. Been together since the 80s. 

This kit is listed as 1/8 scale.....Tamiya never did a F1 in 1/18. Entex did the Lotus and a McLaren F1 kit in 1/8 scale. 

24 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

This kit is listed as 1/8 scale.....Tamiya never did a F1 in 1/18. Entex did the Lotus and a McLaren F1 kit in 1/8 scale. 

On 6/28/2022 at 4:41 AM, Dave Van said:

Gotta be the old Entex kit. Can't see a all new tool of that car. Wonder what the $$$$ will be?

Hornby hasn't issued anyone else's kits (much less all plastic) in 1/8  either. I would imagine it will be a diecast pre-paint just like all of their previous releases. The mock up shown is not the Grip kit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I referring to the Entex 1/12 kit that rrb124 was talking about. 

On 6/28/2022 at 3:52 AM, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Looking forward to it. In 1979 I built a very large scale model of this car by maybe Entex? Wish I could remember the exact scale. Had to be at least 1/12. When this kit comes out, it will jog my memory. Wonderful kit. Even came with clear fuel lines for the injectors.

• 5 months later...

It’s probably THE iconic F1 car of the era of people who are interested in a kit of that scale and price. I know I am,  just once… A lot of British kids my age had a Corgi 1/32 diecast, and hankered after the bigger 1/18 version. Ferrari 312 and James Hunt and Senna’s Mclarens to follow if this works?

best,

M.

Oh, even 'cross the pond over here, I can appreciate what an icon the 72 is, and that livery just kills (literally, if you consider the sponsor 🙂).  It'd be mean in pea soup green, but that black and gold is flat intimidating in a way I can't recall other F1s matching - certainly my favorite.

Just a little surprised Pocher's going where ground has already been broken in this scale.  Having the plastic, I can't quite justify this subject choice in multimedia after gleefully snapping up the Lamborghinis.  But I do hope the appeal is just as you say and they sell a few tons' worth.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

This one had quite the effect on 10 year old me...

m3-dalek-side.jpg

Or this from the 1975 Weetabix giveaway trading card set:

jps%20dalek-Th.jpg

Universally known in the playground as the John Player Special Dalek, even if we didn't know what JPS were... (actually, we did, but no one cared that we did in those days....)

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
  • Like 1