Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Atlantis. Do you have this Ex-Revell Kit in your Tool Bank? River Rat Boat and Trailer

stavanzer

Found this while cruising the net. With Round2's 3'n'1 Kits seemingly doing so well, if you can find this in your haul of former Revell tools, it would be a great little bonus kit to add to the upcoming '57 Nomad or any other 1/25 scale Pick Ups you might have gotten. Maybe one of the old Revell Chevrolet Vans? 

Anyway, this is a simple looking, Fun kit. It would be great to see it return.

PXL_20211220_2327329172-vi.jpg

It would be fine molded in white, and any tires that fit would work.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Found this while cruising the net. With Round2's 3'n'1 Kits seemingly doing so well, if you can find this in your haul of former Revell tools, it would be a great little bonus kit to add to the upcoming '57 Nomad or any other 1/25 scale Pick Ups you might have gotten. Maybe one of the old Revell Chevrolet Vans? 

Anyway, this is a simple looking, Fun kit. It would be great to see it return.

PXL_20211220_2327329172-vi.jpg

It would be fine molded in white, and any tires that fit would work.

The above would be cool. I’ve never seen that one before. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, keyser said:

They found the sand buggy, so there's hope. I have all but the motor.

And the engine is all that I would like to get from that kit. I would use it and the original 3in1 boat kit from AMT to build a Mercury powered outboard runabout.

I really wish that Atlantis, or any other brand for that matter, tries to produce some new kits that grab the attention of the younger generations, rather than keep reissuing obsolete kits designed half a century ago, so the hobby can survive past the lifespan of the current generation modelers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrm said:

I really wish that Atlantis, or any other brand for that matter, tries to produce some new kits that grab the attention of the younger generations, rather than keep reissuing obsolete kits designed half a century ago, so the hobby can survive past the lifespan of the current generation modelers. 

I work with high school kids. No matter what is offered by model companies, the youth of today have little to no interest in building models. There are a few, but very few. If it’s not dealing with doing it on an iPhone, or snapped together with Legos, kids are basically have no interested in it. I even have a display case in our school (Spring Lake Park High School, Spring Lark Park, MN) with models on display, and a poster inviting students to join the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota). So, I continue working on encouraging kids to take interest in our hobby. But, with very few results. 

As far as I can see the hobby has very little of future. But that’s okay, the companies will keep getting my money as long as I’m alive. Plus, I have more money than most high school kids anyhow. 

Edited by unclescott58

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

I work with high school kids. No matter what is offered by model companies, the youth of today have little to no interest in building models. There are a few, but very few. If it’s not dealing with doing it on an iPhone, or snapped together with Legos, kids are basically have no interested in it. I even have a display case in our school (Spring Lake Park High School, Spring Lark Park, MN) with models on display, and a poster inviting students to join the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota). So, I continue working on encouraging kids to take interest in our hobby. But, with very few results. 

As far as I can see the hobby has very little of future. But that’s okay, the companies will keep getting my money as long as I’m alive. Plus, I have more money than most high school kids anyhow. 

Your last paragraph demonstrates a lot of what's wrong with the way of thinking of most current modelers IMO. 

I have two teenagers at home. And they are so different from one another, that you would think they grew up on different planets. The younger one is quiet and very passionate about his possessions. He still loves Legos and it's all about Star Wars and .....drum roll....."Racing Champions" - a series of cool cars. Some of them can blow your mind with their engineering, as small as they are. He follows what gets announced, when it will be released and pretty much everything else we follow on here about model kits. He's 13yo and has all of them, besides the fact that he doesn't work, has no means of personal transportation and they cost pretty much same as a model kit. What I notice is, that some of them are proudly displayed on a shelf and others are stored. The ones displayed are some cool cars that are popular with teenagers today, can be seen on spotter blogs, car an coffees and for the most part have never been made into plastic models. Here's a hint: there are no Mavericks and Dodge Darts amongst them and none are from 1958, '64 or seventy-something. The other things he's getting into and is really passionate about is Formula One racing. A big part of this interest is the Netflix series he watches with his brother "Drive to Survive". An absolute gem of a show. When was the last time a Formula kit was released? Meanwhile diecast companies are releasing each year's grid in numerous of scales and that hobby seems to be thriving. Have you been on a diecast forum lately? To take a peak at the interest on a global level? Because model making and the companies involved are global companies and don't exist just in a world between two oceans.

Now take my older son. He loves cars and all his buddies love cars too. They go to every cars and coffe show and yes, they are on their phones all the time. And they watch countless videos on youtube or tictoc or whatever. Half of them are about cars. They love hotwheels and would spend literally days driving between all the Targets and Walmarts they can think of, in search of some rare hotwheels cars that they saw on video that just got released. You wanna guess what they are? Drift cars, Nissan GTR's, Porsches, AMGs and Miatas. 

There is a car show every Friday, literally in the parking lot behind my back yard. In the afternoon. They don't care about it. Do you know why? Because it's two rows of C4 and C5 Corvette waxers in their '50s and '60s  , a sea of Tri-five Chevies and a bunch of clapped out muscle cars with Elvis Presley as a background music. And the crowd is all retirement age. In other words the teenagers can not relate. 

My kids will wake up at 6am on a Saturday with their friends to drive an hour to get to a cars and coffee. And then they will come home and talk all day about what newest Ferrari or lambo they saw, the details on some cool tuned BMW, the burn out show at the end that the JDM crowd puts on or the LS swapped Miatas. I hear them talk about how cool the 55 Chevy ice cream truck was or how "fire" the newest twin turboed Corvette that showed up was. They appreciate a well done '50 Merc or a pro built '69 Camaro. But they mainly care about two categories. What's cool that they can afford and realistically own and what is the latest dream otherworldly hypercar for $3 Million. 

My kid used to build models with me. He used to take the drive from Aspen Colorado, all the way to Kansas City for the Heartland Nationals. He won wards in the Junior class and a couple of his models even made it on the pages of the Contest Annuals. That was when his teeth were falling out. Nowadays he still builds models. The Bandai Star Wars figures. But he doesn't care coming with me to the shows. And literally what he says is: "I don't care to go because it's always the same thing - bunch of old guys and only ugly old American cars and hot rods." I don't personally share his feelings and in a way it hurts me that he feels this way, but that is the reality of how he and his friends feel. He did come to the last show I went to. And he really appreciated the craftsmanship on some models. And he even bought himself a model with his own money. An old Japanese kit of a square Mercedes Benz 190E with ground effects and custom wheels. Because a couple of his buddies drive similar ones and because it's something he finds cool and he knows he can actually afford to own and drive. 

The interest is there. The young generation with the potential to cary the torch of the hobby does exist. The problem is that the current modelers crowd, for the most part, is stubborn, selfish and unwilling to move out of the proverbial past. And the industry is caught between a rock and a hard place, because they do realize they need to look to the future, but meanwhile are catering to the money flow from a generation that is on its way out. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mrm said:

The problem is that the current modelers crowd, for the most part, is stubborn, selfish and unwilling to move out of the proverbial past

You have it wrong, my friend. I agree 100% with the rest of your rant, and applaud what you have to say. You make some good points. My 26 yr old son paints fantasy miniatures for D&D, and dabbles in building the occasional model, so I see where many young folks are today. But, I'm almost 60. All of the AMT Trophy Series Kit are of cars that existed before I was born. By the criteria you espouse for your sons interest, I should only Like 1978-1985 cars. I don't really like those much. My favorite kits? The AMT Trophy Kits. But, I built Tuners for a while too. Those kits are seldom seen today. Too Old? Outta Style? I don't know. I just know they don't seem to generate interest or sales........

Round2's whole Business Model is catering to those Stubborn, Selfish Modelers you look down on. Yet, oddly enough, that same company is tooling up to Brand New Kits of Brand New Cars! The New Ford Bronco, & The Brand New Dodge Charger. So, I guess there is no point in what Round2 is doing......?

Modeling is changing. The Builders are changing. The world around the Builders is changing. So, what they like us changing. But, That doesn't mean your son, or other sons will never like or build these kits. It just means that they are not interested in them now.

Thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrm said:

Your last paragraph demonstrates a lot of what's wrong with the way of thinking of most current modelers IMO. 

I have two teenagers at home. And they are so different from one another, that you would think they grew up on different planets. The younger one is quiet and very passionate about his possessions. He still loves Legos and it's all about Star Wars and .....drum roll....."Racing Champions" - a series of cool cars. Some of them can blow your mind with their engineering, as small as they are. He follows what gets announced, when it will be released and pretty much everything else we follow on here about model kits. He's 13yo and has all of them, besides the fact that he doesn't work, has no means of personal transportation and they cost pretty much same as a model kit. What I notice is, that some of them are proudly displayed on a shelf and others are stored. The ones displayed are some cool cars that are popular with teenagers today, can be seen on spotter blogs, car an coffees and for the most part have never been made into plastic models. Here's a hint: there are no Mavericks and Dodge Darts amongst them and none are from 1958, '64 or seventy-something. The other things he's getting into and is really passionate about is Formula One racing. A big part of this interest is the Netflix series he watches with his brother "Drive to Survive". An absolute gem of a show. When was the last time a Formula kit was released? Meanwhile diecast companies are releasing each year's grid in numerous of scales and that hobby seems to be thriving. Have you been on a diecast forum lately? To take a peak at the interest on a global level? Because model making and the companies involved are global companies and don't exist just in a world between two oceans.

Now take my older son. He loves cars and all his buddies love cars too. They go to every cars and coffe show and yes, they are on their phones all the time. And they watch countless videos on youtube or tictoc or whatever. Half of them are about cars. They love hotwheels and would spend literally days driving between all the Targets and Walmarts they can think of, in search of some rare hotwheels cars that they saw on video that just got released. You wanna guess what they are? Drift cars, Nissan GTR's, Porsches, AMGs and Miatas. 

There is a car show every Friday, literally in the parking lot behind my back yard. In the afternoon. They don't care about it. Do you know why? Because it's two rows of C4 and C5 Corvette waxers in their '50s and '60s  , a sea of Tri-five Chevies and a bunch of clapped out muscle cars with Elvis Presley as a background music. And the crowd is all retirement age. In other words the teenagers can not relate. 

My kids will wake up at 6am on a Saturday with their friends to drive an hour to get to a cars and coffee. And then they will come home and talk all day about what newest Ferrari or lambo they saw, the details on some cool tuned BMW, the burn out show at the end that the JDM crowd puts on or the LS swapped Miatas. I hear them talk about how cool the 55 Chevy ice cream truck was or how "fire" the newest twin turboed Corvette that showed up was. They appreciate a well done '50 Merc or a pro built '69 Camaro. But they mainly care about two categories. What's cool that they can afford and realistically own and what is the latest dream otherworldly hypercar for $3 Million. 

My kid used to build models with me. He used to take the drive from Aspen Colorado, all the way to Kansas City for the Heartland Nationals. He won wards in the Junior class and a couple of his models even made it on the pages of the Contest Annuals. That was when his teeth were falling out. Nowadays he still builds models. The Bandai Star Wars figures. But he doesn't care coming with me to the shows. And literally what he says is: "I don't care to go because it's always the same thing - bunch of old guys and only ugly old American cars and hot rods." I don't personally share his feelings and in a way it hurts me that he feels this way, but that is the reality of how he and his friends feel. He did come to the last show I went to. And he really appreciated the craftsmanship on some models. And he even bought himself a model with his own money. An old Japanese kit of a square Mercedes Benz 190E with ground effects and custom wheels. Because a couple of his buddies drive similar ones and because it's something he finds cool and he knows he can actually afford to own and drive. 

The interest is there. The young generation with the potential to cary the torch of the hobby does exist. The problem is that the current modelers crowd, for the most part, is stubborn, selfish and unwilling to move out of the proverbial past. And the industry is caught between a rock and a hard place, because they do realize they need to look to the future, but meanwhile are catering to the money flow from a generation that is on its way out. 

In general agree with what you have to say. But, who are buying the kits? According to companies offering them, it must us old fogies, because that’s who their aiming their kits mainly at.

One of my complaints, and something I don’t understand, is they tell us it cost so much to tool up a new kit. And there isn’t enough interest to justify the costs. Especially making kits of the newer stuff, that may interest the kids. Yet they put money into to tooling up models of both new and old cars in die cast form all the time. Mainly in 1/64th and 1/18th scales. I many times have wondered about that? Especially the 1/18th scale stuff. Are they not expensive to tool up too? There are so many die cast models out there that I would love to see also offered as plastic “build” kits. 

Back to the kids. I don’t see a lot of kids interested in cars, new or old, in way we were. I blame part of this on the over regulated, over reliable, look alike vehicles we drive today. These are great in getting one from point A-to-B. The best cars and trucks ever in some ways. But, for most part they are bland and boring. I know, some are not. And they much faster and more reliable than what we had 50 years ago. But, do they really bring out the passions like cars did in the past? I’m just not seeing it with most of the kids I work with. They in general could care less about cars. New or old. Plus, the interests with the youth in general are changing. I not only do I see few, to no kids joining car and model clubs I belong to. But, clubs and other like organizations in general. I fear for organizations like the Buick club I belong to. Or the Son’s of Norway that my parents were active in. The local Lions club is not getting younger people to join like they use to. Nor do I see the number of Boy Scouts that were around back in the day. Do I know why or what the answer to this is? No. I only hope if the old groups and/or clubs die off, the upcoming youth find and start organizations that meet their needs in the future. At this point, I’m not seeing it. And is that okay? Maybe so. I’m 64, and the future is no longer for me. It belongs to them. I can show them one way of getting there. But, I  can’t force or drag them to the way I think they should go. I can only lead by example. And I’m sure what ever path they choose it will be okay. It’s been that way for thousands of years, if not longer. 

How about we get back to old Revell River Rat boat tooling? I know if Revell or Atlantis brings back, especially the boat part of the kit, I’ll be buying. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

You have it wrong, my friend. I agree 100% with the rest of your rant, and applaud what you have to say. You make some good points. My 26 yr old son paints fantasy miniatures for D&D, and dabbles in building the occasional model, so I see where many young folks are today. But, I'm almost 60. All of the AMT Trophy Series Kit are of cars that existed before I was born. By the criteria you espouse for your sons interest, I should only Like 1978-1985 cars. I don't really like those much. My favorite kits? The AMT Trophy Kits. But, I built Tuners for a while too. Those kits are seldom seen today. Too Old? Outta Style? I don't know. I just know they don't seem to generate interest or sales........

Round2's whole Business Model is catering to those Stubborn, Selfish Modelers you look down on. Yet, oddly enough, that same company is tooling up to Brand New Kits of Brand New Cars! The New Ford Bronco, & The Brand New Dodge Charger. So, I guess there is no point in what Round2 is doing......?

Modeling is changing. The Builders are changing. The world around the Builders is changing. So, what they like us changing. But, That doesn't mean your son, or other sons will never like or build these kits. It just means that they are not interested in them now.

Thanks

There are few things apparently I failed to make come clear through "my rant". First off, I don't look down on anyone, which is silly to even insinuate, simply because I am part of that same group. At least according to my kids. And then, this is not about my kid or your kid. My kid used to build Ed Roth cars. He had a huge kick out of building the Boothill Express with me. When he was a kid. He made a C3 Corvette and he is in love with those darn death traps to this day. (And before you jump to conclusions again, I've owned six Corvettes, two of which C3s and loved each and every one of them. Which does not change the fact that the only crappier car I've owned was the C4 Corvette)The Benz he bought at the last show is from the '80s, which is about a quarter of a century before he was born, so I am not sure where do you get the notion that I think kids today should only like current cars. 

The point I was trying to make is that even tho I would like to see every variation of every Ferrari from their 75 year history made in a model and that would love to see Revell release a new '32 Ford variation every other year, we should be more aware of the direction we are driving the hobby in. And it is not toward bright future for sure. The industry needs to open the scope of their demographic targeting and figure out how to appeal to more diverse crowd and attract fresh blood. Times have changed dramatically since I first started building models and that probably was couple decades after your generation. Clubs in general are becoming a thing of the past, same as brick and mortar hobby shops and printed publications. And the main reason is mainly technology and the lack of necessity for these things. Perhaps we should embrace those changes and look for ways to make them work to our benefit instead of fighting them, which pushes potential new members of the hobby away. I'm 46. I am not giving up my hobby over reception of my model at a contest. But someone who is just starting in the hobby may not feel this way. I am not going to quit the hobby because no one has released any of the last ten Ferrari cars, because I can still find new ways to build the same old Revell Deuce from 25 years ago. But many young kids may never pick a tube of glue because of it. And we can wax poetic about past trends all we want, but the facts remain the same. If I enter a perfectly built and fully detailed Ferrari F12 in factory stock class, I stand no chance against the requisite Camaros, Challengers and Chevelles built to the same standard, by default. If I we make a poll of what new tool Revell should make, I promise you the winner would be a variation of a car already made over and over again. The Chip Foose deal comes to mind. More and more people I used to see at the shows or used to look up to, for their skills or styles are no longer with us. And there is nobody coming to replace them. Again, I'm 46 and I'm considered one of the "young modelers". That is ridiculous and can't be good for the hobby. 

Edited by mrm
  • Like 2

You want to know the state of the hobby? It's simple! Just look at AMT about to tool up a 1/25 scale kit from a T.V. Show that has been off the air since March of 1967! Before I was born later that year! LOL! And the show only lasted One Season!! 

If that does not say 'We Are Catering To The Boomers" I don't know what does! LOL! 

We, Gen X, are lucky we did not have the modern day distractions and thus had to rely on physical activities, reading, Television and our own crazy imaginations! And the model companies catered to us at those times. Revell made all of these Adventure Kits with extra goodies and we ate them up! So maybe in about 10 more years, I am 54 now, they will start making more A Team Vans or something more obscure. 

As for kids today, I am not going to worry about it, as long as I had fun with my hobby, they can figure it out themselves! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrm said:

There are few things apparently I failed to make come clear through "my rant". First off, I don't look down on anyone, which is silly to even insinuate, simply because I am part of that same group. At least according to my kids. And then, this is not about my kid or your kid. My kid used to build Ed Roth cars. He had a huge kick out of building the Boothill Express with me. When he was a kid. He made a C3 Corvette and he is in love with those darn death traps to this day. (And before you jump to conclusions again, I've owned six Corvettes, two of which C3s and loved each and every one of them. Which does not change the fact that the only crappier car I've owned was the C4 Corvette)The Benz he bought at the last show is from the '80s, which is about a quarter of a century before he was born, so I am not sure where do you get the notion that I think kids today should only like current cars. 

The point I was trying to make is that even tho I would like to see every variation of every Ferrari from their 75 year history made in a model and that would love to see Revell release a new '32 Ford variation every other year, we should be more aware of the direction we are driving the hobby in. And it is not toward bright future for sure. The industry needs to open the scope of their demographic targeting and figure out how to appeal to more diverse crowd and attract fresh blood. Times have changed dramatically since I first started building models and that probably was couple decades after your generation. Clubs in general are becoming a thing of the past, same as brick and mortar hobby shops and printed publications. And the main reason is mainly technology and the lack of necessity for these things. Perhaps we should embrace those changes and look for ways to make them work to our benefit instead of fighting them, which pushes potential new members of the hobby away. I'm 46. I am not giving up my hobby over reception of my model at a contest. But someone who is just starting in the hobby may not feel this way. I am not going to quit the hobby because no one has released any of the last ten Ferrari cars, because I can still find new ways to build the same old Revell Deuce from 25 years ago. But many young kids may never pick a tube of glue because of it. And we can wax poetic about past trends all we want, but the facts remain the same. If I enter a perfectly built and fully detailed Ferrari F12 in factory stock class, I stand no chance against the requisite Camaros, Challengers and Chevelles built to the same standard, by default. If I we make a poll of what new tool Revell should make, I promise you the winner would be a variation of a car already made over and over again. The Chip Foose deal comes to mind. More and more people I used to see at the shows or used to look up to, for their skills or styles are no longer with us. And there is nobody coming to replace them. Again, I'm 46 and I'm considered one of the "young modelers". That is ridiculous and can't be good for the hobby. 

Again I agree with a lot of what your saying. But, I get the impression from what your saying, that we need to change something to get others to come into our hobby. What do we change? Most of us here, have no power over the direction things are going within the hobby. The only thing I can do to change things within the hobby is spend my money on things they put out. And I like what the model companies are putting out. I now have the money to buy those old kits they reissue, that I wanted in past when I did not the money. I am not going to buy models I am not interested in, just to encourage future model building. So, what is the answer? I think it’s really out of my hands. And to be honest, I don’t really care if goes on past me or not. It a leisure, recreational item. Not something that’s going to effect the well being of the world in long run. If this one dies, other things will replace it. 

By the way. What do you think about the River Rat boat? I can not remember if said anything about that or not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

You want to know the state of the hobby? It's simple! Just look at AMT about to tool up a 1/25 scale kit from a T.V. Show that has been off the air since March of 1967! Before I was born later that year! LOL! And the show only lasted One Season!! 

If that does not say 'We Are Catering To The Boomers" I don't know what does! LOL! 

We, Gen X, are lucky we did not have the modern day distractions and thus had to rely on physical activities, reading, Television and our own crazy imaginations! And the model companies catered to us at those times. Revell made all of these Adventure Kits with extra goodies and we ate them up! So maybe in about 10 more years, I am 54 now, they will start making more A Team Vans or something more obscure. 

As for kids today, I am not going to worry about it, as long as I had fun with my hobby, they can figure it out themselves! 

Amen. Your last line especially says it all. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh! By the way, the be spending my hard earned “baby-boomer” bucks on the new 1/25 scale Green Hornet Black Beauty when Round 2 releases it. Too bad for those future model builders who have no interest it. 

10 hours ago, mrm said:

Well said! you are on point with everything you said and is on point,  even though I am a few years younger than you, I am just like your teens, I could not care any less about 50's 0r 60's or Vettes. 

I am very ecstatic that Round2 is spending some money tooling up two new modern subjects.  

I just want what the same thing that current demographic that is getting catered too,  kits of the cars I grew with up, 80's and 90's , its the same thing they are getting, cars they grew up with.

Edited by martinfan5
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, unclescott58 said:

Back to the Revell boat?

Yes, the boat, and all the other goodies from Revell. 

All of those accessories are made on trees separate from the host kit. They could be made and sold as Parts Pack type kits and sold that way.

I am pretty sure those molds exists considering the recent re-use of the Snow Mobile in the Jeep Pick Up. Now the question is, will Revell Germany want to use them? 

11 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Yes, the boat, and all the other goodies from Revell. 

All of those accessories are made on trees separate from the host kit. They could be made and sold as Parts Pack type kits and sold that way.

I am pretty sure those molds exists considering the recent re-use of the Snow Mobile in the Jeep Pick Up. Now the question is, will Revell Germany want to use them? 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see them included with one of the recent vw campers at some point. They have their 75th anniversary coming up so there is nearly bound to be a special set of them released (if revell have any sense)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...