Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Dan Gurney Lotus Racer

9 hours ago, keyser said:

I know how to use Google. Where do you think I got the pictures from that I posted in the 3rd posting here? And I’ve seen the video you put a link to. It does not tell me any more than I already  know. I know the body is white with blue stripes. It does not answer the other questions I have about the car. Man, I get tired of some of the rudeness here. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Confused 1

Sorry I wasted my time.
You ask questions over and over. At least you looked for once. 
I’ve no clue what you’ve looked at. 
One of the links among tons of others in search shows each chassis, races won, etc. Gurney wadded 29/2 up, switched to /1 so murky a bit. /3 gone in 64  Tons more pictures out there  

I’m tired of the lack of common sense and unappreciative responses. You complained of no responses, but when I and others did, frustrated you seem incapable of finding details, you say I’m rude and you know how to Google.
 I’ll still help anyway, others may find it helpful. 

Edited by keyser

6 hours ago, keyser said:

For the rest of you, sorry my time machine down to go back and get color  

10A021C6-3522-46F5-857C-EA3F65EF2632.jpeg

345E0230-C140-4A3B-9E49-3A9DC3B870DB.jpeg

Great photos. And I’ve seen them in my search. But, they still do not tell me what color things are. And that is what I’m trying to find. 

Edited by unclescott58

7 hours ago, keyser said:

For the rest of you, sorry my time machine down to go back and get color  

10A021C6-3522-46F5-857C-EA3F65EF2632.jpeg

345E0230-C140-4A3B-9E49-3A9DC3B870DB.jpeg

By the way, looking at the top photo, I’m not sure that’s even one of the cars Gurney drove at the Indy track that year. The tail piece is painted a dark color in the photo. Is the car Gurney maybe sitting in Jim Clark’s car in that photo? Clark’s car was painted in British Racing Green. Both of Gurney’s ‘63 Indy cars, the one he wrecked in practice, and the one he drove on race day, were painted White. So I’m a little suspect of that first B/W photo above. 

Edited by unclescott58

15 hours ago, keyser said:

Sorry I wasted my time.
You ask questions over and over. At least you looked for once. 
I’ve no clue what you’ve looked at. 
One of the links among tons of others in search shows each chassis, races won, etc. Gurney wadded 29/2 up, switched to /1 so murky a bit. /3 gone in 64  Tons more pictures out there  

I’m tired of the lack of common sense and unappreciative responses. You complained of no responses, but when I and others did, frustrated you seem incapable of finding details, you say I’m rude and you know how to Google.
 I’ll still help anyway, others may find it helpful. 

I really don’t want get into an argument, but the more I think about what you’ve said above about me and my other posts here, the more angry I am. Go back and reread my posts here. You seem to be assuming I’ve said more here than I have. Where did I ever express frustration in comments other’s were leaving here, until the posts you started leaving accusing me of not Googling things? I thought the comments others left here were just fine, I expressed concern at one point that no responses were coming through, and questioned if there was little interest by others in the kit. If there is, that’s okay. If not, that’s okay too. Other than that, I do not think I made any complaints, or expressed any frustration in any of the responses given here. I only asked if others had more information on Dan Gurney’s ‘63 Indy car than I did. You seemed to have decided that means I do not know how to use Google and I am frustrated with the responses here. I do know how to use Google. And I am not frustrated with others responses and comments here. Heck, even the info you have given here is good. It just has not answered the questions I have about Dan Gurney’s ‘63 Indy car the AMT model kit is based on. 

Edited by unclescott58

Hello @unclescott58, FWIW, maybe this will be helpful?

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/cars/indy/lotus29.htm

Also, this 2-page build thread may show some interesting stuff, including what appears to be an aftermarket nose, and some other changes, too:

https://mb2501.proboards.com/thread/6148/1963-lotus-ford-dan-gurney

FULL DISCLOSURE: I skimmed both of these links; did not read either in detail. Also, am not familiar with the kit in any way, though I'm very excited to get my hands on one. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stef said:

Hello @unclescott58, FWIW, maybe this will be helpful?

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/cars/indy/lotus29.htm

Also, this 2-page build thread may show some interesting stuff, including what appears to be an aftermarket nose, and some other changes, too:

https://mb2501.proboards.com/thread/6148/1963-lotus-ford-dan-gurney

FULL DISCLOSURE: I skimmed both of these links; did not read either in detail. Also, am not familiar with the kit in any way, though I'm very excited to get my hands on one. Hope this helps.

Two very helpful sites. The first one I was familiar with. The second one I was not. I like them both. But, I do question both modelers choosing red for the seats, instrument panel, and steering wheel. It does not match up with the color photos I’m seeing of Gurney’s car at the Indy track in ‘63. Maybe they reflect changes made to the car later. As we know that Gurney’s car was later painted to represent Clark’s car in the Indianapolis 500 museum, and recently restored to again represent Gurney’s car. Still nice models, and helpful resources for anyones build. Thank you Stef. 

The more I look at the photo below, the more question it’s reliably as a resource for modeling Dan Gurney’s ‘63 Lotus Indy car. Not only do I question the color. Though again tough to determine in a black and white photo. I’m looking at the exhaust pipes, and they look nothing like the pipes run on Dan Gurney’s or Jim Clark’s Lotus at Indianapolis that year. 

FFF913F5-1955-47A8-B61A-F83E9992FB61.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58

That picture shows an earlier test version of the car. As is often the case with racing cars, things get changed all the time from race to race, and even from practice to race.

My speculation is that the re-painted car that Dan drove in the race would have had a red seat and steering wheel, since it was originally a green (Clark) car. Dan's original car probably had a black interior.  So you can decide which car you want to represent with your build.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

...Thank you Stef. 

My pleasure, @unclescott58. I too noticed the exhaust headers, but didn't know what to make of that. I know nothing about this era of racing, outside of what I saw in FORD v FERRARI, ha ha.

And as for the red seats, I did see at least one shot of both white and green cars, with red seats:

https://www.indycals.net/decals/indy/63lotus29.html

Aside from that, I've not found many colour photos of the real Gurney car; I'm unsure what colour seat it's supposed to have.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stef said:

My pleasure, @unclescott58. I too noticed the exhaust headers, but didn't know what to make of that. I know nothing about this era of racing, outside of what I saw in FORD v FERRARI, ha ha.

And as for the red seats, I did see at least one shot of both white and green cars, with red seats:

https://www.indycals.net/decals/indy/63lotus29.html

Aside from that, I've not found many colour photos of the real Gurney car; I'm unsure what colour seat it's supposed to have.

Another site I’ve been to in the past. And another good one worth sharing with others here. Still questioning the red seats. But, that’s okay. I’ve thought about buying their decals. The price seems right. And from what I’ve seen their quality is good too. 

48 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Another site I’ve been to in the past… Still questioning the red seats.

Lol. Since we offer nothing new evidently, try one of these. Let us know. I’m rooting’ for Stewie 🤣🤣https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgelyonseriepa

Mr Lyons restored it. 

9CD63C76-9C53-4595-B30A-1EAAC37BBE20.jpeg

1F98FD8B-CA58-4B35-B93A-30D239EF8189.jpeg

Edited by keyser

12 hours ago, keyser said:

Lol. Since we offer nothing new evidently, try one of these. Let us know. I’m rooting’ for Stewie 🤣🤣https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgelyonseriepa

Mr Lyons restored it. 

9CD63C76-9C53-4595-B30A-1EAAC37BBE20.jpeg

1F98FD8B-CA58-4B35-B93A-30D239EF8189.jpeg

Okay now I’m confused. Why am I recommend to go to this site? Your right I’ve never seen this guys site before. I see he’s restoring a Watson roadster. A cool Indy car. The type that won Indy in 1963.

Edited by unclescott58

This back and forth dialog between you two should be via PM. It looks like the dreaded "abusive behavior" from where i am sitting.

unclescott58 - while you are focusing on the colors, this thread has morphed into an all around thread for this kit and many of the photos that were shared do show good detail of things such as the suspension.

keyser - your posts are hard to follow. You post useful information and then they drift off to some other place. From my perspective it feels like you are trolling with them.

Everyone back on topic, no further comments on this please.

• Thanks 1

Hi Scott, are you on Facebook? There is a Dan Gurney group. I’m a member of the group. I did a search for your car but didn’t find anything useful for you. If you aren’t a member I would be willing to post a question for you. Not sure if I can post there and not sure if anyone will answer but I’m willing to try. Let me know.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:41 PM, TarheelRick said:

Just happened to pick up one of these at the show and swap meet last Saturday.  Haven't opened mine yet but looking at the earlier post it appears this kit comes with two-piece tires.  If so, what glue is recommended for them.

Your best bet is to pitch those tires into the circular file because they're 100 percent incorrect for this car and replace them a set of correct ones from Indycals.

Indycals also used to offer an upgrade kit that included the tires, a more accurate resin nose and a vacuum-formed windscreen to replace the kit's way-too-thick one, but I don't think it's currently in production. 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:59 PM, unclescott58 said:

I just got this in the mail today. Here’s a little peak of what’s in the box. Not a lot. But, considering the size of the car, I expected that. Over all I like what I’m seeing. But one thing. The instructions. 

Unlike most instructions from Round 2. Including ones that look close to the originals in several recent reissues. There are no painting instructions on this instruction sheet. I know the body should be white. I’m guessing since it’s power by a small block Ford engine from 1963, that maybe was painted black? Or since it’s an aluminum engine, aluminum? What about other things. Looking at the box art, it looks like the seat may also be black? Yet, in the back over my mind, I thought that the real cars seat to be blue? I’m not sure on that. What about the fuel tanks? Aluminum? Steel? Again black? What do I paint them? How about the non chrome plated suspension parts? Were they aluminum or steel? Or something else? 

A minor point maybe. But, on trying to build the car as accurate as I can, it would be nice to know what color to paint parts. Off to the internet to see what I can find on the real car. 

A77321EE-65DE-47C1-AE4B-6B8B59D06D24.jpeg

011BFD90-DDD1-4986-ABB5-F1F1A4800F28.jpeg

I love these builds. Cool subject. My buddy Mike is into these. If you need information there is a classic indycar site on Facebook that has most of the cars in detail. I’m not a fan of Facebook but I used my wife’s account and could not get off the darn thing. So many cool cars ! I built the mpc lotus turbine of Joe Lenords car. If your decals are bad indycals has pretty much every decal for just about every indycar. I bought tires and decals from them. Have fun, I’m a fan of these kits and it’s going to be a blast!!! 

1 hour ago, Brudda said:

I love these builds. Cool subject. My buddy Mike is into these. If you need information there is a classic indycar site on Facebook that has most of the cars in detail. I’m not a fan of Facebook but I used my wife’s account and could not get off the darn thing. So many cool cars ! I built the mpc lotus turbine of Joe Lenords car. If your decals are bad indycals has pretty much every decal for just about every indycar. I bought tires and decals from them. Have fun, I’m a fan of these kits and it’s going to be a blast!!! 

Thank you for the info. By the way, if you see the thread I started on the 1/32 scale MPC 917, you’ll see my thoughts on Indycals decals. They are some of the nicest decals I’ve ever used. So far, I’m impressed with their stuff. 

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you for the info. By the way, if you see the thread I started on the 1/32 scale MPC 917, you’ll see my thoughts on Indycals decals. They are some of the nicest decals I’ve ever used. So far, I’m impressed with their stuff. 

Unclescott58, I saw your 917 project. That’s cool. Indycals has resin tires also. My turbine car really needed them. The old mpc tires were not in the best shape. Enjoy your build. Here is a pic of my mpc turbine. Indycal decals and their resin tires. 

C357D697-4E6D-4498-BF8E-F96DBB6C0FBF.jpeg

• Like 1