Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ramchargers Dragster Reissue - Rebuild Complete!

jlucky

With the release of the Ramchargers which included an expanded decal sheet, I thought it would be a good opportunity to do a cleaner rebuild. I wanted the build to be closer to the 1965 version of the car as that is closer to the wheelbase of the kit. So I got rid of the old glue-bomb version and started this Ramchargers project. All was going well until I realized that the rear body panels were wrong. Even Round 2 was unaware that they had packed the John Milner tail section in this kit rather than the original rear section. By the time I noticed the problem the body had been glued to the chassis so it required some delicate de-gluing to remove the wrong panels and replace them with the original I had in another version of the kit. The motor consists of a few resin parts, nothing dramatic, a bit of fundamental wiring nothing overly fancy. I actually got tired of problem solving and chose not to add fuel lines. Finally all the chrome was touched up with my Molotow pen and some weathering was added to the headers.

So there we go. The Ramchargers now takes its place in my “History of Dragsters” display…see last photo.

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

Nicely done! So the tail body section came from the older issue. Was that the 60`s issue or a later version? I have a 90`s issue in my stash. Thanks.

It came from the 90's reissue. That's safe to build.

On 8/24/2022 at 12:41 PM, jlucky said:

With the release of the Ramchargers which included an expanded decal sheet, I thought it would be a good opportunity to do a cleaner rebuild. I wanted the build to be closer to the 1965 version of the car as that is closer to the wheelbase of the kit. So I got rid of the old glue-bomb version and started this Ramchargers project. All was going well until I realized that the rear body panels were wrong. Even Round 2 was unaware that they had packed the John Milner tail section in this kit rather than the original rear section. By the time I noticed the problem the body had been glued to the chassis so it required some delicate de-gluing to remove the wrong panels and replace them with the original I had in another version of the kit. The motor consists of a few resin parts, nothing dramatic, a bit of fundamental wiring nothing overly fancy. I actually got tired of problem solving and chose not to add fuel lines. Finally all the chrome was touched up with my Molotow pen and some weathering was added to the headers.

So there we go. The Ramchargers now takes its place in my “History of Dragsters” display…see last photo.

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

Jerry. your "history of rail dragsters" collection is an incredible body of work.  Tremendous kudos from thsi corner on your achievement!   TIM 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, tim boyd said:

Jerry. your "history of rail dragsters" collection is an incredible body of work.  Tremendous kudos from thsi corner on your achievement!   TIM 

Well I'm currently blushing and flattered....at your compliments, Tim. Big encouragement to keep on, keeping on. By the way I refer to your book on Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits constantly. Wonderful reference thanks for putting it together.

Jerry