Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pretty fair and well thought-out look at the complex, interconnected issues of EVs

A good start would be to stop cutting down all the trees to build strip malls or apartment buildings.  It seems a shopping center has to be built every few miles now because people are inconvenienced if they have to drive into town.  

The trees are very important to earth, climate and pollution yet they are cut down everyday and people preach electric cars will solve the problem.  Lol give me a break 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

A good start would be to stop cutting down all the trees to build strip malls or apartment buildings.  It seems a shopping center has to be built every few miles now because people are inconvenienced if they have to drive into town.  

The trees are very important to earth, climate and pollution yet they are cut down everyday and people preach electric cars will solve the problem.  Lol give me a break 

I live in Charlotte NC. They have proposed an ordinance that would require you to get a permit ($1,000) to remove a tree. Even if you replace it, you need a permit. All in the quest to improve the air quality. Meanwhile, to your point, there is a 40 acre tract near our house that has been targeted for development and they have cleared numerous trees and have many more to go, all in the name of progress! And what is going up in this development? A new elementary school and 375 housing units! Between the increased vehicle count from the housing units and the hundreds of cars spending time idling and in traffic while the school buses run 80% empty, not to mention the increased traffic, the pollution is only going to be worse! You have to love a politician's logic- "we need more schools because of the over development of the area" !

18 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I live in Charlotte NC. They have proposed an ordinance that would require you to get a permit ($1,000) to remove a tree. Even if you replace it, you need a permit. All in the quest to improve the air quality. Meanwhile, to your point, there is a 40 acre tract near our house that has been targeted for development and they have cleared numerous trees and have many more to go, all in the name of progress! And what is going up in this development? A new elementary school and 375 housing units! Between the increased vehicle count from the housing units and the hundreds of cars spending time idling and in traffic while the school buses run 80% empty, not to mention the increased traffic, the pollution is only going to be worse! You have to love a politician's logic- "we need more schools because of the over development of the area" !

I agree 100%

Well balanced, well spoken and clearly explained. Like I've said all along, EVs are good technology and offer benefits to some drivers, but they are not and should not be forced as the ultimate solution for everyone. Problems with the propagandists agenda will rear it's ugly head soon enough. 

I wrote this for another thread but I think it fits here too:

A little something else for the forward-thinking modernists to think about...

The proponents plan is to shut down ALL oil and fuel production, including coal, natural gas, propane, diesel, crude oil which includes heating and lubricating oil.

Forget having your BBQs, cookouts, heating your home and water effectively. Unless you stock up on large supplies cord wood - before they outlaw harvesting trees. Can't purchase Charcoal Briquettes, either. Too much pollution. 

Without any motor oil, how are all those machines - electric or otherwise, going to keep from going up in smoke? And coolant/antifreeze used is not made from water, it's a synthetic. Also, without oil there is no asphalt, without asphalt those electric cars will have rough roads ahead. Without vinyl, nylon and polyester, there won't be much left for those cushy seats and carpets that those EVs need. Oh, and leather is not an affordable alternative. Anyone ever try to upholster everything in cowhide? $$$. And those pesky bovine have one major sin - they pollute horrendously and also contribute too much to global warming, can't count on having them for future generations. 

Wanna live in a tiki hut? House construction contains Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC used in plastic piping, Bitumen used in waterproofing. Fly ash used in concrete. Open and closed-cell foam for insulation.

Better get used to having wood or cast iron cell phones, with no provisions for the high tech internals. Polymers are used in fiber optic cables. 

And readers take this one to heart: no more enamel, lacquer and hardened paints. No more paint thinners. No more solvents for your plastic kits. In fact no more plastic at all! Plastic doesn't grow on trees, it comes from what? You guessed it - petroleum.

But at least we can have lighting at our benches - between blackouts. 

But I'm sure none of this schpiel will have any effect on those set on the next way of the future. 

Or will it be the past? Living as our ancestors did, without all the modern conveniences we now take for granted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Well balanced, well spoken and clearly explained. Like I've said all along, EVs are good technology and offer benefits to some drivers, but they are not and should not be forced as the ultimate solution for everyone. Problems with the propagandists agenda will rear it's ugly head soon enough. 

I wrote this for another thread but I think it fits here too:

A little something else for the forward-thinking modernists to think about...

The proponents plan is to shut down ALL oil and fuel production, including coal, natural gas, propane, diesel, crude oil which includes heating and lubricating oil.

Forget having your BBQs, cookouts, heating your home and water effectively. Unless you stock up on large supplies cord wood - before they outlaw harvesting trees. Can't purchase Charcoal Briquettes, either. Too much pollution. 

Without any motor oil, how are all those machines - electric or otherwise, going to keep from going up in smoke? And coolant/antifreeze used is not made from water, it's a synthetic. Also, without oil there is no asphalt, without asphalt those electric cars will have rough roads ahead. Without vinyl, nylon and polyester, there won't be much left for those cushy seats and carpets that those EVs need. Oh, and leather is not an affordable alternative. Anyone ever try to upholster everything in cowhide? $$$. And those pesky bovine have one major sin - they pollute horrendously and also contribute too much to global warming, can't count on having them for future generations. 

Wanna live in a tiki hut? House construction contains Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC used in plastic piping, Bitumen used in waterproofing. Fly ash used in concrete. Open and closed-cell foam for insulation.

Better get used to having wood or cast iron cell phones, with no provisions for the high tech internals. Polymers are used in fiber optic cables. 

And readers take this one to heart: no more enamel, lacquer and hardened paints. No more paint thinners. No more solvents for your plastic kits. In fact no more plastic at all! Plastic doesn't grow on trees, it comes from what? You guessed it - petroleum.

But at least we can have lighting at our benches - between blackouts. 

But I'm sure none of this schpiel will have any effect on those set on the next way of the future. 

Or will it be the past? Living as our ancestors did, without all the modern conveniences we now take for granted. 

I cringe at what the world will be for my kids (ages 25 & 29) in 20-30 years. I may or may not be alive then, but they will have to deal with the political fall out and ramifications of "green energy".

Sorry don't buy in to all the gloom and doom. All of the well documented articles are not going to get the issues fixed.

The ultimate salvation will be the most powerful force in the universe "greed". I don't believe all those who make money off of oil are going to allow this to happen. They aren't going shrug their shoulders and say well we had a nice run.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Sorry don't buy in to all the gloom and doom. All of the well documented articles are not going to get the issues fixed.

The ultimate salvation will be the most powerful force in the universe "greed". I don't believe all those who make money off of oil are going to allow this to happen. They aren't going shrug their shoulders and say well we had a nice run.

This….^.  truer words have never been spoken….

On 11/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

They aren't going shrug their shoulders and say well we had a nice run.

Maybe not, but they can move to another country to supply the world's needs when they are regulated out of existence in this country. 

Just like every other business.