Model Cars Magazine Forum

HPI Guy builds the New Supra!

stavanzer

39 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

I'd be willing to bet, that a lot of Model Builders will want this kit.

Round2 does their homework, on sales, and this kit is pretty sharp.

Just wish it had some wider tires. The ones in the (while the same as the original kit) look too small to my eyes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the popularity of the RadWood shows had some influence in this as well. I’m kinda thinking of getting one the next time Hobby Lobby has their 40% off on kits. Think for wheels, I’d be looking at the aftermarket wheels from the Japanese manufacturers, plenty of period and modern options out there!

37 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Think for wheels, I’d be looking at the aftermarket wheels from the Japanese manufacturers, plenty of period and modern options out there!

I've been considering doing that, too. Maybe some 16" BBS rims, something period correct. I just have a bit of a hard time putting B.F.G's on a then-contemporary Japanese car.

MPC really was kicking into high gear in the early/mid 80s; their EXP, Cavalier, C4, Camaro, Firebird, Fiero, Celica, Mustang, Daytona, Omni/Charger, and others were light years beyond most of their earlier kits.

Almost like this brief era of MPC was some kind of quasi-ERTL partnership, transitioning through the 69 Olds and Beretta, to the AMT Taurus and Probe.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:58 AM, tim boyd said:

Of course I am in no position to comment on the interests of car and model enthusiasts just about half my age, but my "car guy" gene tells me that a kit that builds (with relatively minor mods) something that looks this cool would pass the appeal test no matter what the age of the observer.  ( Or not...!)  TB   PS.  More pix here...

DSC 0206

That stands the test of time very nicely Tim. With a touch less rake it would still look very contemporary, like something I might see rolling into a 1:1 show. I don't think the 'vibrant' interior colouring is so far off either.

Enjoyed looking through your photos, it seems to be a really nicely detailed kit and I'll certainly look out for it over here. Wheels and tyres would be an easy upgrade with a Fujimi or Aoshima accessory set.

Tamiya also offered the narrow-body version:

IMG_1693.JPG.1bd23298478b954f94e6414e7abc6356.JPG

But as it's effectively the same as the Long Beach GP car (without the separate arch mouldings, lights etc) it still has no engine.

None of them have functioning indicators/turn signals like this one I've had for years, patiently waiting its turn:

DSCN7327.JPG.e732e80098c35058698391795c9bb34b.JPG

They'll look good on the shelf one day alongside 280ZXs and RX-7s.

Fujimi also offered a kit, but if it's anything like their other early-mid '80s offerings it won't be great. I traded the one I had years ago.

Will be interesting to see if Hasegawa have a go at it, for them it will be how many versions they can get out of the same moulding and I don't think it was widely used in racing?