Model Cars Magazine Forum

David Pearson 1969 Talladega

bogger44

Fresh off the bench, wrestled another of these Polar Lights kits into submission.  The first order of attack was pulling the nose down to where it should be, then lots of trimming of various parts to get it all fitting together.  Exhaust dump ends are aluminum tubing.  Filed the rear window down until it sat flush with the body.  The decals were toast and a bear to lay down (and very time consuming), lots of micro sol/set and a hair dryer being used.  Got them on the best I could, a few cracked up and some silvered unfortunately.  Paint is Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue, a little too dark but close enough for me.  Gold is Tamiya TS-21, same goes for the wheels but with a coat of Tamiya Smoke on them.   Tires and wheels are upgraded PPP pieces.  Looking at it now, I wish I would have lowered the rear a bit.  I'm glad I finally brought this one to the bench and hammered it out as David will always be one of my all-time favorite drivers.  Thanks for looking and any comments/questions.

2v2eeMUaWxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeM9pWxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeM96CxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeMUmkxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeMUgVxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeMUCTxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeMUAnxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eeMUkTxAKN8F.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys!  Yes these kits sure aren't the best designed, but they sure are a great subject.  I've got two more in the stash to tackle.

23 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Nice  neat and clean build!!!!! How did you fix the nose??? The cut at 2:00 on the wheel well up to A pillar area???

I think the stance is perfect for a super speedway car......nose DOWN!! 

Thanks Dave!  You're right about the super speedway stance, I'm good with it!  

To adjust the front clip, first I made a cut on the rear portion of the inner fender aprons as a stress reliever (just ahead of the firewall, you can still see it in the pic).  Then I heated up some water in a pot, not to boiling though, and dunked the front into the water for 15-20 seconds, then pulled it out and gently pulled down on it.  I took it slow and repeated the process a few times until it was good to my eye.

Edited by bogger44
added text

Lots of people poor mouth these kits, but I like them and think you did an excellent job on your build. I didn't notice anything wrong with the decals, but if you haven't cleared them, Mike is coming out with a Pearson sheet for his 68 and up HM cars.

• Like 1

Great looking car. I got to meet DP in the pits at Michigan yrs ago, I have a HotPass somewhere that he signed for me. Just a note: the decals on your hood, if you paint it gloss then apply the decals and spray flat clear over everything they won't silver. That's an old amour builder trip. Very nice model... 

Great looking build and your lowered nose adjustment looks just right! 

My warning to other modeler's intending on using your technique for lowering the front end; I attempted the same approach when starting my build of this kit a few years ago and found the plastic at the A-pillars got soft really, really fast and my roof collapsed on me! Body into the junk box and replacement kit acquired... watch those A-pillars!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys!  Yeah these kits do have a bad rap, but with patience can be built into respectable models.  

On 1/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, Shark said:

Lots of people poor mouth these kits, but I like them and think you did an excellent job on your build. I didn't notice anything wrong with the decals, but if you haven't cleared them, Mike is coming out with a Pearson sheet for his 68 and up HM cars.

I wish I would have checked his site before I started, I would have waited until he releases those decals.  My usual luck hahaha.  I didn't clear over them so I probably could get them removed if I feel like it someday.

On 1/28/2023 at 6:14 AM, James2 said:

Great looking car. I got to meet DP in the pits at Michigan yrs ago, I have a HotPass somewhere that he signed for me. Just a note: the decals on your hood, if you paint it gloss then apply the decals and spray flat clear over everything they won't silver. That's an old amour builder trip. Very nice model... 

That's awesome you met him.  Yeah I totally forgot that trick of using gloss paint instead of flat, thanks for the reminder. 👍