Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wiring a Motor

26 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

M.A.D. (Morgan Automotive Detail) makes some of the absolute best pre-wired distributors available.

With separate wired caps, bases, and boot material, they come in all variations of cap and wire colors.

Beautiful stuff!

Steve

x2

• Like 1

I still mostly drill my own caps, and make distributor bodies from styrene or aluminum stock (photo below). Otherwise, I prefer the molded-hole resin units from R&M.

DSCN7749.JPG.fc8233ede9a973ef8292629671ea31a8.JPG

Photo below shows completed kit cap with fabbed body, and drilled and "spot-faced" holes in the head for plug wires.

DSCN7872.JPG.15ec9f762f2c758447c4e9a694a8d0ef.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Kris makes a really HEI distributor that I like to include as an upgrade in my "restored" GM models.

Firing order and cylinder ID diagrams like these are pretty easy to find on the internet if you want the routing to be accurate to the 1:1.

Firing Order 454 1970 Corvette - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum  Discussion

6 minutes ago, Rodent said:

...Firing order and cylinder ID diagrams like these are pretty easy to find on the internet if you want the routing to be accurate to the 1:1.

Most helpful to avoid the "hair part" or "spider" looking wiring as well. 

Getting your wires at least close to scale diameter for the application helps too.

Many otherwise nice engines are spoiled with wires the scale diameter of garden hose. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I still mostly drill my own caps, and make distributor bodies from styrene or aluminum stock (photo below). Otherwise, I prefer the molded-hole resin units from R&M.

DSCN7749.JPG.fc8233ede9a973ef8292629671ea31a8.JPG

Photo below shows completed kit cap with fabbed body, and drilled and "spot-faced" holes in the head for plug wires.

DSCN7872.JPG.15ec9f762f2c758447c4e9a694a8d0ef.JPG

What size wires are you using? I find the kit distributors too small to drill for the 30awg wires I use. I usually cut the cap off and make a new one from styrene tubing so I can get the wires in, then glue it onto the shaft/body. It works, but doesn't look as good.

6 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

What size wires are you using? I find the kit distributors too small to drill for the 30awg wires I use. I usually cut the cap off and make a new one from styrene tubing so I can get the wires in, then glue it onto the shaft/body. It works, but doesn't look as good.

I don't know what nominal AWG it is, but the stuff in the photo mics out to .019", and looks good for late-model OEM or performance wire. 

For early OEM wires, I'll use something like .013".

Not every kit cap can be drilled, of course. Some are just too small, not scaled correctly, or are too tapered or blobular.

There is a very recent thread in the FAQ forum about scale spark plug wires. There were also many similar threads here in thee past (and I posted links to them in that thread).  Like Bill  said, using properly scaled diameter wires makes or breaks the realism of your model.  Sometimes it pays to spend more money for smaller (properly sized) wire than being thrifty, and having garden-hose-sized wires in your model.  But it all depends what you find acceptable on your models.

v