Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

I'm glad I found this one again, Mike!

That came out great. I'm especailly impressed with the GMC scripts.

Trips to the Berkshires keep getting put off/rescheduled, put off. Due notice will be given when I make it out there.

I'm open to car-pooling/room share for NNL next year if you'd like to go, too.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys. I can't believe I'm close to seeing the finish of this. Wheels are epoxied and planning the, hopefully, last JB Weld of a hinge back on today. The hubcap decals are ready and that might be worth a photo ... otherwise I'm trying to hold off till something substantial is done. :)

Charlie, the Berkshires haven't moved ... well, almost .. lost two trees Sunday in that wicked line of thunderstorms. With TWO completions (including this van) this year, NNL East is going to have to fit in the schedule! The wife may come to this one as we have two grandson's an hour south of Wayne. We will have to hook up there, finally. Now that I know your camera it should be easy finding you! :lol:

Oh, I know the Berkshires haven't moved....it's my travel and budget that continues to be the elusive target. I'm aiming for this fall. My friends and I are planning a trip out of greater Worcester for a day, possibly overnight just for a change of scenery.

I do know I won't be at Classic Plastic this year- my cousin is getting married, and I think it would be very poor form to not show up.

Keep an eye for any one of the following: Canon/Bell & Howell FD, a Pentax K1000 (rapidly becoming my favorite despite being a little touchy to load,) or a Pentax SF-10. I'll probably have the Sunpak, too.

Charlie Larkin

The hinges, the hinges. I know I should never have glued the pins so soon with all the work on the body to go ,,, and, true to form, one, then the second one on the left door came apart. I'm not sure I can get the bottom one back on without gluing the door shut as it's the middle cylinder that needs glue. If so, so be it.

The GMC logo got on and I replaced 3 of the scraggy decals.

RearDoor DSC 0824

New hubcaps are flatter than the ones I showed long ago but they work. Wheels are mounted, BTW!

Hubcap DSC 0822

At the alignment shop ...

Alighnment DSC 0810

Interior is shaping up ... just a steering wheel mount to go. CD player is in and that's all my daughter needs!

CD DSC 0814

CDs DSC 0812

and YES! .. it DID pass Massachusetts inspection!

Inspected DSC 0820

Edited by Foxer

ALL the CD's are Grateful Dead ... sharp eyes. My daughter inherited my love of the Dead .. :)

A-men!!!!!,we have a lot in common!!!,both have daughters who like cars and love the Dead!!!,honest honest My Baby Girl inherited my love of the Dead too,even to the point where she calls Jerry "Uncle Jerry" :wub: ......Only wish I could have taken her to one of their concerts.......You did good dad,you did good!!!

The interior is DONE! ... unless I think of something else .. :lol: The pillows are felt sewn and stuffed. The dog leash is yarn with a catch file shaped from some flattened soft plant wire. Dog's throwing sticks are just that ... sticks. I did just notice the dash needs a couple air vents.

Interior DSC 0832

Interior DSC 0836

Interior DSC 0840

Interior DSC 0834

Edited by Foxer

Never thought I'd say this, but seeing the completed interior is making me miss my '83 Mini Ram 8-passenger.

rotf

Foxer, looks great. haha. I may have missed it but I'm also curious if your daughter has seen this, or are you waiting 'til it's all done?

Foxer, looks great. haha. I may have missed it but I'm also curious if your daughter has seen this, or are you waiting 'til it's all done?

She lives close and see's it as it's done. I send her links to this page also when I post. She's VERY appreciative! :)

This build has been going on for two years next month! I have to thank everyone here that has encouraged and helped me .. especially those that have graciously sent me missing parts! :)

Specifically, there's Ryan Silva who sent me his first castings of his spectacular 8-lug wheels! Nick Winter sent a GMC dash with the correct GMC mirrors and I used that to form the correct left hand side of the dash. Someone also sent me the front amber side marker lights but I can't locate the original post in Wanted to give credit. This just goes to show how much everyone here HELPS each other in need! :)

It's looking like my next photos on it are going to be UNDER GLASS!! There's just the windows and doing final assembly on the body .. mirrors, antenna and bumpers. Of course, there's the broken off door hinges but they are not being touched till last!

See everyone UNDER GLASS!!! :)

Edited by Foxer

Have you considered making those pesky hinges out of brass or aluminum strip?

Not strip, but I started with aluminum tubes. All the trouble has been with glue sticking. Maybe using strip and wrapping the pins would have worked .. might have ended with a better glue surface and less of them!

Edited by Foxer

Okay after seeing all the photos of your issue with the hinges, can I ask you sir, what kind of glue are you using? and are your roughing up the surface area before gluing?

Been sanding the glue area with something like 150 grit and used J-B Weld epoxy in the end for glue.