Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Matador street machine: UPDATE!

kerc

The radical "nike" wheels would be interesting on this car (though I don't think I'd like them on anything else). If I were to use wheels as a design feature like that, however, I would definitely NOT paint them black. The unique design would get lost. If you paint the car red or orange, I'd go with white, yellow, or silver wheels.

And then...

IMG00365-20110130-2104.jpg

I'm starting to embarrass myself here. :(:lol:

These are the best! Whitewalls aren't bad anyways, but these are better. Those three spokes are better than those other ugly wheels, but they aren't matching with that engine so nicely. Anyways, I say that put these!

So far, I like the tri-spokes best, I am old school and have never been too crazy about low profile tires on these kind of older cars, I would probably try a few more choices before deciding on one of these. I am very much like you when it comes to rim and tire choices so, I feel what you're going through before your final choice.... ;)

i wish i could get my pics to load; i have two matadors, one stock, one "X"; the "X" has a cool split-level hood and coffin nose grille, but they kept the stock rear end... i couldn't see having a wild custom front with a plain butt, so i used a custom grille from something and inset it into the rear pan, then painted clear red over the chrome to simulate lens material. a pic of it might be stored in some of my old posts.

i wish AMT had provided a better depiction of the front suspension, but those were the '70's.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the three spokes. I feel your pain when it comes to choosing wheel/tire combos. I go through it with every single build I do. It makes or breaks a model or a real car.

Hello there Jose! I really like the subject here and the wheel choice will be hard to select! Im sure whatever you decide will be really cool tho' The Mercedes symbol style Tri-Fans are really nice too! Man what a cool subject O' I said that already! LOL!

Keep on wit the keepin on!!!

I got one of these too so I could build the one I had back when I was in school. Only thing is,it does not come with the window plug for the smaller opera windows like my 74 had. I know they are in the race car kit version. I hope I can find a set to trade for without having to buy an extra kit just for the window plugs.