Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Henry.... Thank you

Clint... Thank you. I couldn't agree with you more about the comraderie and friendship that goes on here on this forum. There are so many talented builders that are willing to share how they do things and then there are the others that go out of their way to help others with information needed. For that reason I just love this message board.

Alan... Thank you for the kind words.

Larry... Thank you.

Dave... Thanks man. Oh yea I will be soldering it together and then figuring out how to bolt it to the body...haha

Darryl... Thank you. I am plugging away and hoping to see more light at the end of the tunnel.

So I have a teaser update with the Escape Hatch Hinge for all of you. I started working on it a little while this morning and I have most of the parts ready for Soldering. Here is where it sits and I will be showing you more when I get it done.

Here are the starting pieces, I used a couple sets of brass hinges from Micro Marks (if you want to know the part number I can let you know don't know it off the top of my head), .020" dia. brass wire from K&S:

DP-Army-Vega4285-1_zpsc18cdfcf.jpg

Here I have marked the hinge where I want to cut pieces off to make a continuous piano hinge:

DP-Army-Vega4291-1_zps111b8680.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4292-1_zpsfd6af201.jpg

Here is the hinge pieced together after I used my dremel to cut them down, I will need to sand the hinge pieces a little to get them to sit next to each other like I want:

DP-Army-Vega4295-1_zps60ff7901.jpg

Here is the hinge with the hatch laying on top of it:

DP-Army-Vega4300-1_zps11d1a357.jpg

Looks great Chris. You're going to run into an issue with the thickness of the roof hatch and will need to figure out how to recess the hinge by thinning out the material on the body and hatch itself. If the hatch were to flip inside the body, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm confident you'll get this done.

Dave... Thanks bud for having faith in me.

Mike... Thank you. I have more screen prints to do from that you tube video I want to get more reference photos from.

Brad... Thank you. You know I was thinking about what do to with the thickness of the body and hatch and how I will recess the hinge into both those panels. I do have an idea though ;)

So I was able to get the hinges soldered up and pretty happy with them so far:

DP-Army-Vega4304-1_zps409e1a4b.jpg

Here is the back side of the hinge:

DP-Army-Vega4306-1_zps393ccbc9.jpg

Here is the hinge after I sanded down the solder joints:

DP-Army-Vega4318-1_zps3f029524.jpg

Here are the pieces of the hinges:

DP-Army-Vega4321-1_zps3ecad7d6.jpg

Here is the hinge positioned in a couple positions to show is movable:

DP-Army-Vega4325-1_zpsf40bfe3e.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4324-1_zpsb2899667.jpg

Chris....Looking great!

Hey guys I dont think all this is that hard...it only took me 2 minutes to look at the pictures of him doing it....isnt this all being done in real time? after all its on the internet it has to be true!

But really great work Chris and what it only took about 3-4 hours to do it for real? Think of it, lay it out, do it, clean it up and then test it 3-10 times along the way?

Really nice work on the hinge Chris. Not to mention the fact that you took a bunch of mini hinges and made on big one! The whole thing is nice and even. All your "loops" match which could ruin the look if it wasn't. Hinges in armor modeling were one of my weak points. Granted, they are usually quite small but I guess I just never found a reliable, consistent method for rolling them. Sorry, rambling... Top notch chief!

Joe... Thanks buddy. You are right that I won't be able to get the pin in or out once installed. I will be painting it with the hinge off and have been thinking that I was going to use some some super small scale hardware to fasten it in place with the .5mm bolts and nuts. I wish there was a threaded button head style to look more like a rivet or button head screw. That's what it looks to me in the reference pics I posted. I am also thinking of just polishing the hinge portion that will be visible and maybe painting the base. I a, not sure if Alclad would work well since it will be movable. But I have some extra hinges that I may do a test paint on to see if it would work.

Danno... I was hoping it would turn out like it was one solid hinge and not pieced together...lol ;)

Art... Thanks brother, it's coming along little by little.

Mike... Thank you sir. I am doing my best

Jason... Thank you for the kind comments. I am glad that my build has inspired others.

Dave... Thank you. I think it took me between 4 and 5 hours between how I was going to figure out a way to hold it when soldering and checking things along the way. Probably didn't help that I was watching TV at the same time too and was distracted from time to time...lol

Clint... Thank you. The only reason I think the loops look so good is because they were already formed...lol. I did try and search for some photo etch ones but the only one I was able to find wasn't big enough and wouldn't of looked right. Just glad I was able to find these hinges. No need to feel like you are rambling. I enjoy when other like to share things in my threads too. It how we all learn from one another.

Larry... Thank you

Ray... Thank you Sir!, you know this is the first build that I have taken to a level like this. I have learned a lot during this build.

Charlie... Thank you my friend. I am trying to capture all of the details that I can. I am jonesing to put some of your great products on this engine.

Well I sat down at the bench for a couple of hours tonight. Thought I would of gotten a lot more accomplished but I am happy with what I was able to work on. I worked on adding the lip around the escape hatch as well as getting the hatch fitted into the opening. I had to sand part of the hatch to accommodate the piano hinge. And I started fooling around with how I am going to be modifying the scale hardware that I will be using. Here are a few shots of the progress.

Here is the lip that was added to the Escape Hatch opening. I used .010" thick x 1/4" wide Evergreen Styrene with leaving a lip of around .040". I know I didn't need a 1/4" wide strip but it was all I had in the .010" stock:

DP-Army-Vega4373-1_zps6f763ca7.jpg

Here is the underside of the body of the lip. I used Weld-On #3 to glue it in place. (Weld-on is basically like Tennax). I am planning on feathering bondo around the material so you won't see any of those hard edges once painted. It will just blend into the body:

DP-Army-Vega4378-1_zpsedb71660.jpg

Here I had to sand the front and back edge of the hatch. First I had sanded the front edge where the hinge is to get the gap correct for the hinge and then after that I sanded the rear to get the gap equal to the rest of the hatch. I took .010" thick plastic and used it to keep the hatch evenly spaced. Also don't mind that the hinge is upside down and on the wrong side but it was easier to test fit when I was getting the gap correct, next I need to work on getting part of the hatch and the body shaved down where the hinge goes so that the piano hinge will sit flush with the body so it will function propertly:

DP-Army-Vega4385-1_zpsbe074d1e.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4386-1_zps4dbf50a7.jpg