Model Cars Magazine Forum

'39 Chevy Coupe Kustom

Clutch

G'day all,

In late March, a well known Australian custom car builder, John 'Chopper' Katsanis, passed away. As apart of my Australian model car club, we're having a tribute build off in his honor. Rules are build anything pre '67, must be customized from mild to wild.

I'm using this Monogram '39 Chevy coupe that I previously built, 20 years ago!

11.jpg

I don't completely understand the ins and outs of the Hot Rodding world but I'm eager to learn and I'm enjoying trying out some body modifications.

To start it off, after stripping the body, I gave it a forward facing 4mm pie-chop, sectioned the roof to lean it forward, removed the floor so I can channel it later and I removed the running boards.

13.jpg

15.jpg

Widened the rear fenders by 3mm and extended the rear section to the ground. Drilled out and molded in the tailight openings and the third hole will be for the tailpipes. Also sunk and boxed the number plate.

25.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

I had to redo the roof as it sat too high. The front has had a 3mm chop and the rear section of the roof is from a '57 Chevy funny car.

Before and after,

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

I'm still working on the roof, needs a rear window etc. I've just started working on the front, sunk the headlights and gave them eyebrows.

It looks very messy now but it won't forever!

All comments, suggestions welcome!

Mate I am in absolute awe! I have bought this kit twice and have only once made it look kinda cool. I thought it was damned near impossible to make a 39 chev look good but you've proved me wrong. Good on ya mte, I will definately be watching this build with eager eyes!

• 1 month later...

Well I should apologise for not repliying sooner, no other reason than too busy building!

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like the direction. Definitely not one of the better kits and the 37-39 Chevy coupe isn't that desirable either (imo). That's why I thought it would be a good kit to build, as Foxer said, "from frog to princess".

Yes, she'll be on the ground, as close as I can get it.

Cheers Steven, I looked up the '39 at RMR, I like it! Didnt know there was a custom 39 on the market.

Progress;

I've made side windows, with pillars and front quarter glass. I used packaging plastic for the windows, coverd both sides in tape and glued 0.5mm rod directly to the tape. Once dried, I carefully cut out the tape.

74.jpg

81.jpg

75.jpg

modified a pair of 55 Chevy skirts and added some body trim and roof trim using 0.5mm rod and 1.0mm half rod.

82.jpg

Made new side steps from mahogeny veener and some chrome bars for the skirts.

94.jpg

92.jpg

The front end has been extended to the ground, lights sunken, trim piece added and cut down grille.

72.jpg

73.jpg

The interior is almost finished, need arm reats and window/door handles.

-I first made cardboard temples using the cardboard from Evergreen packaging, then traced the shape on to 0.5mm styrene.

-Used 1.0mm half rod for the rolled pannel and 0.5mm rod for some trim.

-The chrome strip along the back is styrene covered in bmf and the decal is from Revell's '41 Chevy Pickup kit.

- Painted flat black and black flocking.

101-2.jpg

102-1.jpg

103-2.jpg

104-2.jpg

105-2.jpg

114-2.jpg

Now working on channeling the floor. I added 4mm blocks to lift the body.

113-2.jpg

Thanks guys! Glad you like it so far.

Hey Tim thanks man, good to see you over here too.

Small update, Just completed my first RHD dash convertion. Well almost finished, still need to figure out a steering wheel and clean it up a bit but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

121.jpg

122.jpg

Edited by Clutch