Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are we done yet ?

I like how everyone REALLY hates the new Charger.

" They should have NEVER named it that! "

" That thing is Ugly! "

" I hate the new Charger "

Well, the new charger is better than this

1983-1987-dodge-charger-accessories.jpg

don't you think? I mean, a 2.2L 4 cyl. w/ a 3-speed automatic.... yup - that SCREAMS Charger to me....

Those of you that cannot admit that cars are Safer, more efficient, more reliable, and better engineered that cars w/ the same name from even 25 years ago are really stuck in the past, longing for an artificial nostalgia that history does not reflect.

Actually I would take the L body Charger over the current Charger in a second. Make mine a GLHS though.

I'm a 50s-60s kid too. A few comments.

The Mustang, and Challenger are throwbacks (or updates if you like) but nicely done IMO.

I definitely like Harry's Camaro better than the real one.

I like the new Charger a lot, and I also like the Magnum.

I would buy a new Challenger if I had 50k I didn't need.

Looks like a Mustang grille to me!

Like I said, I spent maybe 5 minutes on that. I agree the lower grille opening looks too Mustangish when you use a '68-style Camaro grille. I would have to think it over and make the front end more Camaro, less Mustang... something like this maybe...

2011-Camaro-SS2.jpg

I think that's the single biggest thing holding back Challenger sales–they priced it too high. Even a base model is way over $30K. :P

At least in my neck of the woods, they can't move the things without heaping huge rebates on them- even then they're a bit on the steep side.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... I don't care how many doors it has. I don't like the new Charger because it looks like a flattened Dakota Quad Cab. I'd rather have the FWD Charger than one of the new Chargers. Sheez... I think an Omni GLH is a sexier looking car than the new Charger... :lol:

I like how everyone REALLY hates the new Charger.

" They should have NEVER named it that! "

" That thing is Ugly! "

" I hate the new Charger "

Well, the new charger is better than this

1983-1987-dodge-charger-accessories.jpg

don't you think? I mean, a 2.2L 4 cyl. w/ a 3-speed automatic.... yup - that SCREAMS Charger to me....

Those of you that cannot admit that cars are Safer, more efficient, more reliable, and better engineered that cars w/ the same name from even 25 years ago are really stuck in the past, longing for an artificial nostalgia that history does not reflect.

Throw a 426 Hemi in it and I'd like it more than the new Charger!!!

One more reason I like old cars-they have something called :PCHROME!

That's exactly what I did... I raised the roof about 3-4 inches, then further raised the top edges of the side windows so the roofline doesn't look so "chunky."

Of course, I spent all of 5 minutes on that illustration... if I took the time to think about it and seriously rework the car, I might do more, but that squashed roof has definitely got to go! And the hideous front end that looks like some sort of giant grinning insect... :P

Wow the real thing really is smooshed down then. I had a look at the real thing and now can see you did raise it. Maybe lower the rear end a bit putting it more level with the rest of the car?

I had the same now it looks like a Mustang thought that Dragracer had. What about putting a 70 Camaro front end on there, that has a fairly distinctive look.

The thing for me with the Camaro is it seems to have promise, it just didn't quite pull it off. I've seen some what if Firebirds and Trans Ams based on the camaro concept car that pulled off the look much better than the actual car has.

Edited by Aaronw

My hearts in mainly 60's era stuff, but I can find cars that trip my trigger from any era, 20's up to now. And if it doesn't do anything for me factory stock, it can always be modified.

FWIW My thoughts, and personal opinion, on the new "rip offs" of their own past designs....

I think they did a good job with the new Mustang and the update too, clean designs but I am sick of all the different "special edition" garbage, I don't need 20 models of one car, it's making me lose a little love for Ford and Ol Shelby himself.

The new Camaro looks like Hot Wheels designed it...I like hot wheels :P

The new Challenger looks like Tonka designed it and Revell cast it from a diecast mold.

The redesigned new Charger (especially the SRT-8 from the front 3/4) makes me gag..... but the tail light looks good.

American, Asian, European, Australian, GLHS Shelby, X-11 Citation, 70s Celica...doesn't matter to me.:lol: It's all a matter of taste and opinion and when you get down to it, a cool car is a cool car, and if it's not....make it cool...and yes I said X-11

PS bring back the Firebird

Picture122.jpg

BTW That rod from the first post is kinda funky

It seems like that in order for the American companies to make something interesting they have to go "Retro" or back to the muscles cars. I think that the "foreign" makers (if there is such a thing today) have much more style. I drive a 2011 Nissan Juke and love it, lots of style ( you either like it or not) and fun to drive. Seeing all the oddball cars on here is fantastic and I hope it never ends :P

PS bring back the Firebird

Ask and you shall recieve...........

KM_Firehawk_cropped.jpg

KM_Firehawk_Rear.jpg

This is from Drop Top Customs in High Springs FL.

As far as the "new car" vs "old car" thing.....Yes, new cars are more efficient, more powerful, more comfortable, and much safer, but they ain't got no "soul"...... :rolleyes:

As far as the "new car" vs "old car" thing.....Yes, new cars are more efficient, more powerful, more comfortable, and much safer, but they ain't got no "soul"...... B)

THAT is a really good point. In years gone by you tended to keep cars longer, and after the warrantee was over, you had to either utilize the local garage or get your own hands dirty maintaining them. Things wore out faster back then. My 98 Stratus lasted 168k miles and never needed a starter, alternator or anything else we commonly replaced back in the day. When you work on your own cars, you get attached to them more I think. They have your busted knuckles blood on them and gallons of summer sweat. And when the engine went south, a few tears as well. I think that's why we get so nostalgic over that 60's/70's car that was crazy fast, handled like a shopping cart, had no ac, seat belts, or power anything. I've never had a car that I liked as much as my 76 Olds, or my 73 Plymouth. They had "soul" as Roadhawg says. And I put it there myself, installed it with my dads tool set and a Chiltons guide. Good times and great memories.

New cars. Older cars. Love one... hate the other. Hate...hate...hate. IMHO, a real car guy appreciates each era for what it is, and what it was. And using descriptions like "hate" for a car... just seem silly; again, imho. Everything has a time and purpose, and so does progress.