Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Cosma Ray" Corvette

John Teresi

Hello.......I bought this resin kit from Mr. "Arotarot" who is with my good friends the "Moonlight Modelers" from Phonix Arizona........this is a very well done casting of this classic kit. from Mr. "Arotarot".....I will try to attempt a nice version of this 1:1 car ......thank`s for looking. B)

cosmaray-1.jpg

DSCF9698.jpg

DSCF9697.jpg

"I will try to attempt a nice version of this 1:1 car" .

Hey John, what do you mean by "attempt a nice version"??? You know you will nail this one, I mean, this is no challenge for your abilities! (just so there is no misunderstanding here, I am kidding around about this). This should be another beauty once completed. ;)

Hello......I got some mock-up done.......I am using Firestone white line tires........I noticed on the 1:1 car the rear tires are a bit larger so I ground down some tires and glued them together for a larger set of rear tires........I modified the body by opening up the doors and adding an antena........I used some aluminum rod for a rear window support which will be molded into the body.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9717.jpg

DSCF9719.jpg

DSCF9721.jpg

DSCF9724.jpg

DSCF9725.jpg

DSCF9701.jpg

DSCF9728.jpg

DSCF9723.jpg

DSCF9712.jpg

DSCF9710.jpg

This will be terrific. By the way, is there any significance to the fact that Mr. "Arotarot" is "tora tora" spelled backward?

On our club chat board he was toratora but something happened to his login. He now goes by arotarot. Greg told me why at one time but I don't recall the story.

This is looking great!!!

Are there different generations of this design? Your original post of the show car shows a central nose peak that doesn't appear to be part of the kit.

Skip......you are absolutely right about the nose......I did not even notice.......I know that it had different paint schemes ...........I think I like the nose on the 1:1 picture......I might modify the nose now.......thank`s.

The Cosma Ray's original design was the version with the 'beak' front treatment and a different rear end. After a year or so on the show circuit, Starbird restyled it with the smoother, more 'shark-like' nose and the spoilered rear end, and eliminated the frenched antenna. The MPC kit ~ issued only once ~ portrays that second version.

The Cosma Ray was the first custom ever to capture the triple crown of showcars: In 1964 it won The Oakland Roadster Show Sweepstakes, the NSRA Indy Nationals, and the LA Summer Nationals.

Various iterations sported variations of wheels, interior appointments, and upholstery details.

The resin kit John is working with is cast by Greg Wann. Around here we refer to him as The Master Caster because his resin bodies, kits, and components are so very fine! The bubble tops are cast resin!

I have four of the Cosma Ray kits, and they are exceptional!

My first build so far represents the "second generation."

1st_Place_Cosma_Ray_Dan_Baker-2w.jpg

[This pic was taken before some chassis/body adjustments to bring the ride height down to normal.]

Go, John, GO!

Hello......thank`s to Skip`s good eye noticing the "Beak" on the 1:1 photo .......I modified the nose to resemble the 1:1 photo......I think it really changes the look of the car......thank`s to Danno for the info: on the early "Coasma Ray".......cause that is the one I want to build...... nice build Danno.........I also modified the hood.......I will modify the rear tomorrow......thank`s for lookingI

DSCF9731.jpg

DSCF9733.jpg

DSCF9732.jpg

DSCF9735.jpg

DSCF9729.jpg