Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meijer's has models again.

Brilliant marketing. Pandemic made people do more hobbies and home improvement. This is an incidental cross marketing, self contained so no shelf space needed, and holidays coming. 
They know we’ll find kits. These are for people who don’t. And not a lot of Lowes shoppers shop at Hobby Lobby etc. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, Casey said:

Looks like some Meijer stores will be getting the special pallet of select kits from Round2: https://www.round2corp.com/model-kit-quarter-pallets-available-soon-at-meijer/

Meijer-Pallet.jpg

On 10/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, Casey said:

Note that is says "select stores", not all stores. My local Meijer stores haven't stocked any models for a few years, and when they did, it was only during the holiday season...

Just curious, did anyone ever spot any of these displays at a Meijer store?  I never saw them in the 2 stores that are closest to me, and don't recall anyone posting recently that they'd bought any kits from any Meijer's, period.

Contrast that with Wal-mart, which seemed to have the bigger Round2 displays in a lot of their stores end of last year (at least 3 of my nearby Wal-Mart's had those aisle displays).

Wondering if it was just that none of the Meijer's around here got them (as Casey noted, " select" stores), or if the supply chain issues delayed getting any of them before X-mas?

I also find it interesting that Ollies also didn't get another batch of kits before the holidays.  As quickly as they previously sold out in most locations, I wouldn't expect them to just stop carrying them altogether.

Edited by Robberbaron

11 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Just curious, did anyone ever spot any of these displays at a Meijer store?

None at my local Meijer this year. I haven't seen them stocked since the 1/25 Maxda RX-7 was current, so three or four years ago? Our store opened in 2015, and it only stocked models one holiday season.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

None at my local Meijer this year. I haven't seen them stocked since the 1/25 Maxda RX-7 was current, so three or four years ago? Our store opened in 2015, and it only stocked models one holiday season.

Mine also stopped carrying kits 4-5 years ago.

The Meijer by me has had kits in the past, and did bring them back once after dropping them a year or so before. When they came back the kits were easy to miss because they were located near the puzzle section, not in the aisle with the Hot Wheels and other diecast cars. I remember the kits here having dedicated shelf space, not as part of a special shipper like the Round2 ones at Wal-Mart recently. The last time kits were dropped at my local Meijer was in the aftermath of the Hobbico implosion, which undoubtably caused problems with restocks. 

I think my store had maybe ten different kits at most? RX-7 and Cadillac Lowrider for sure, but nothing else which I can even remember. No special pallet displays, either, though my store definitely has room in the aisle for one.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I think my store had maybe ten different kits at most? RX-7 and Cadillac Lowrider for sure, but nothing else which I can even remember. No special pallet displays, either, though my store definitely has room in the aisle for one.

It was a very small kit selection, and it think kits came in assortments so the selection varied. At one point, they had a very limited selection of Testors supplies as well. I don't remember exactly what was all there, but they did have the most recent SnapTite NASCAR kits, some muscle cars, Foose kits, and a few 1/48-scale airplanes. I think they had that last SnapTite monster truck as well, and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the Scooby Doo airplane kit there for the first time. From memory, I bought a Dale Jr. SnapTite Chevy SS, the last issue of the '64 Thunderbolt, and one of the Foose cars at my local store. And I still have a SnapTite Abrams tank that I found on clearance after the Hobbico bankruptcy, along with a Motor City Muscle '69 Z/28 2-in-1 that was on clearance the time before.

In Racine, the JoAnn fabrics has a very tiny kit section. I don't get in there very often, but there are usually between two and four different Round 2 kits. Usually the '68 Shelby and '67 GTO, and a BATMOBILE or some other licensed kit. They have quite a few Testors carded or boxed supplies, along with a well stocked rack of the basic 1/4-ounce bottles of enamel. In a different section of the store they have the Testors Craft line of spray paints, and they stock a decent selection of X-Acto stuff too. A while back I scored a MPC Knght Rider kit for something like $5 in the clearance aisle. I think that's the only kit I've ever purchased there. 😎

6 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Just curious, did anyone ever spot any of these displays at a Meijer store?  I never saw them in the 2 stores that are closest to me, and don't recall anyone posting recently that they'd bought any kits from any Meijer's, period.

Contrast that with Wal-mart, which seemed to have the bigger Round2 displays in a lot of their stores end of last year (at least 3 of my nearby Wal-Mart's had those aisle displays).

Wondering if it was just that none of the Meijer's around here got them (as Casey noted, " select" stores), or if the supply chain issues delayed getting any of them before X-mas?

I also find it interesting that Ollies also didn't get another batch of kits before the holidays.  As quickly as they previously sold out in most locations, I wouldn't expect them to just stop carrying them altogether.

I did, they were half the size as the wally world ones. Woodhaven Meijer had them by me and they were with the xmas stuff in seasonal.  

2 hours ago, wrenchr said:

I did, they were half the size as the wally world ones. Woodhaven Meijer had them by me and they were with the xmas stuff in seasonal.  

Thanks for confirming Jason.  I was starting to think that they never followed through after they initially promoted it.

11 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

In Racine, the JoAnn fabrics has a very tiny kit section. I don't get in there very often, but there are usually between two and four different Round 2 kits.

The Menomonee Falls JOANN store doesn't seem to carry any kits, at least I've not been able to find them inside if they do. I guess if the selection consisted of the "basic" Round2 kits you mentioned, I'm not missing out on anything. 😁