Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meijer's has models again.

On a quick trip to Meijer's tonight I saw the seasonal model display. The cars are mostly the same as last year, Enzo, several 32 Ford's, the 66 Impala/Caprice, lots of Monogram reissues and the Nova. Basically the same stock as a Hobby Lobby. The big deal is the price's went up from 10.99 to 14.99 for the kits. With the price bump, the kits aren't as cheap as a 40% Hobby Lobby coupon.

I don't speak for all Aussies, but even $14.99 for a kit is cheap over here. Consider that Meijer's (or ANY hobby store) have to make a profit to continue, they must be buying them from the wholesaler for $10 or less... Then add shipping to Australia, freight & distribution once they get over here, then our local hobby shops markup, means that same kit will cost you $40+ over here, which is why I still buy heaps of kits off ebay.. $15-$20 for a kit + another $20 for postage still makes it about the same price, but there's a ton of different things to wet your appetite on ebay as compared to the tripe my LHS has to offer.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Note that is says "select stores", not all stores. My local Meijer stores haven't stocked any models for a few years, and when they did, it was only during the holiday season. I recall the 1/24 Monogram Mazda RX-7 was one of the available kits then.

I would imagine stores closer to Round2's location in South Bend, IN stand a better chance of stocking them.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, Casey said:

Looks like some Meijer stores will be getting the special pallet of select kits from Round2: https://www.round2corp.com/model-kit-quarter-pallets-available-soon-at-meijer/

Interesting, my two closest Meijer's stopped carrying model kits altogether about 4 years ago.  Prior to that, the selection had slowly been withering for several years, to the point that they only had dreck like the old Monogram '56 Chevy and about a 1/2 dozen other lowest common denominators.

Seems like this is coming full circle to what they were doing about 12 years ago, when they would bring in well-stocked center aisle displays as Christmas approached.  Had a good selection of Revell-Monogram product at that time.  That's around the last time that I managed to score a '77 Monte Carlo snapper.

This is the first example I've seen of them carrying Round 2 products.  I suspect it's a case of "monkey see, monkey do" after watching Walmart's recent MO.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy has CRS disease. He told me  Lowes instead of Walmart has models. Sorry for any misinformation this has caused to any Tennessee modelers. Previous post is now deleted. Very sorry!

Edited by paul alflen
wrong information posted due to not fact checking
  • Like 1