Model Cars Magazine Forum

IPMS questions

When I was in the hobby store yesterday one of the guys there was talking on the phone about starting a chapter in my area. There are no modeling clubs at all in my area. Every thing I've heard about IPMS so far has been less than positive. Things I've heard ; " they care more about military type modeling", "rivet counters", "very snobbish" etc... But for a new chapter just starting out Is it worth getting in on the ground floor so to speak ? So far the guy at the hobby shop has 5 people interested to start it. I told him I'd think about it. It sure would be nice to hang out with some local boys who are into modeling.

Tell me the good and the bad

When I was in the hobby store yesterday one of the guys there was talking on the phone about starting a chapter in my area. There are no modeling clubs at all in my area. Every thing I've heard about IPMS so far has been less than positive. Things I've heard ; " they care more about military type modeling", "rivet counters", "very snobbish" etc...

For every bad club there is a good one. I have been affiliated with two excellent ones in Jacksonville for years. Yes, get involved and make sure yours is a great club.

A model club is only as good or bad as it's members, So it's up to you and the other guys to make sure it's a good one.

What he said is true. I don't know what part of the state you are in, but I happen to belong to a great IPMS chapter....the 2009 IPMS chapter of the year, in fact.

If Cumming GA is within driving distance for you, you are more than welcome to come to a meeting and get a feel for it, and get advice on starting your own chapter.

http://www.mountainmodelers.org/

Edited by roadhawg

Ya know...maybe there are snobbish IPMS clubs as you've heard, but I've been in IPMS since 1996 and I have NEVER seen that! Every IPMS'er I know has been nothing but great. I've learned an immense amount of modeling techniques from my fellow IPMS'ers. I've competed in many IPMS local club contests, Regional Conventions and US Nationals and ALL of them were run and judged by guys who have a passion for this hobby and strive to "do it right.". There will always be a bad apple or two in any gathering of human beings and this would certainly hold true whether your club was an IPMS club or an independant club. Don't worry about those idiots...just forge ahead. Having a club is one of the best ways to get together with like minded people in what is basically a "loner" kind of activity and there is the pretty good chance you will make some pretty good friends in the process. I know I have. I joined the IPMS club, Bay Colony Historical Modelers Association back in 1995 and have loved it. Some of the fellows in that club have been lifelong modelers longer than me...and I go back to the 60's! And some of those guys have become lifelong friends.

And as for IPMS being all about military modeling...totally untrue. My club is split up pretty good with maybe half the guys interested more in cars than military. And as for rivet counters? Well some guys are yes. But many aren't. Just because one belongs to IPMS does not mean they enter contests and just build for contests only. But if one does choose to build for a contest, well...then you have to be a rivet counter to some degree...if you're competing to win. After all...if you choose to enter a model where you have disregarded accuracy completely you're going to have a hard time competing against an accurate well built slew of other models.

While there is no hard and fast definition of a "rivet counter", I think one may assume that a "rivet counter", as used by the modeling community, would mean any modeler who takes his zest for absolute accuracy to an extremely high degree. And IMHO...EVERY modeler is a "rivet counter" to some degree....it just depends on how far he/she is willing to go to make a good model. I see it as a bad thing that some modelers denigrate the rivet counter with such disdain. It is after all those rivet counters who are responsible in a large part for getting the model manufacturers to make much better kits over the last couple of decades! And those guys are the ones who build the models that set the standards for which we mere mortal modelers see in the magazines and stand in awe of and aspire to someday build like them!

We started Florida Auto & Scale Trucks model club (FAST) and became an IPMS chapter. We have no interest in boats, airplanes, etc. and are still an IPMS chapter. Why? Because it costs only $20 annually to be an IPMS chapter and if you're going to do a show (as we plan on doing), IPMS will provide insurance as part of the annual chapter fee. Can't get insurance anywhere near that cost from a broker.

• 2 months later...

My suggestion was posted here a few days ago through a very astute model builder , NO NOT ME either . The gentleman said a "Point system " could be implemented much like what the I S C A has used in the past . As a former judge within I P M S , I'm bothered by a lot of bias given to certain clubs in trade for future trophy funding packages . Ed Shaver

There has been talk about updating the Auto Categories at the IPMS Nationals, but I'm not convinced that will have much of an effect.

I'm thinking more about what might be possible at a local model club (and maybe contest) level...

Eric

Edited by Eric Aitala

Eric, on a local level, I had to bale out . It got so bad month after month after month of listening to the "Cake walk of only the European theater and the endless drivel of just what Japanese kit maker was so superior to ANYTHING American........... Ed Shaver

I got back into this hobby back in the mid-nineties while going through some tough personal times, looking for a way to decompress after work.

I was fortunate to find a local car oriented modeling club to go to ( M.A.M.A. ) that has some of the best builders & vendors in the craft.

Observing & talking I was able to get up to speed pretty quickly.

I was also able to find & participate in some local I.P.M.S. events over the years.

While its true that the majority of their members are military oriented my work has earned more recognition from them than the regular car oriented crowd...which kind of tells me that my skill level may not be up to the standards of NNL competition but does meet the standards of the so called "snobbish rivet counters".

Maybe they're just looking to get more automotive subjects..whatever.

If I.P.M.S is the only option in your area I'd have no qualms checking in...any club in the country probably has its share of anal retentive loony tunes but that shouldn't stop you from blazing a trail for the automotive end of the scale hobby.

Rick,

The IPMS is not intentionally geared towards military modelers on purpose, but the reality is the most of it's membership is military modelers, and most of it's chapter clubs tend to be more focused on military modeling. It really has to do with the fact that the IPMS came into existence before more model car builders were old enough to join club (in the early 1960's), and the adult modelers at that time were mostly interested in military subjects.

The IPMS as an orginization doesn't have anything against car modelers per se, but many of us have found that our experiences with IPMS clubs and shows is spotty at best. Yes there are clubs that welcome car modelers - and there are some that don't.

As for joining an newly forming IMPS chapter, I say go for it. You may find that most of the other new members are into cars too. At the very least, as a founding member, you will have a big say in the direction that the club takes. And I promise you will learn a lot of new modeling skills for military modelers.

By the way, the club I founded, MassCar Model Club, is an IMPS chapter, mostly because the IPMS has a nice insurance policy that covers their chapter clubs when they host a show. And as the name implies, MassCar is a model car club. We even won the National IPMS Chapter of the Year award back in 1993.

Edited by Nitro Neil

I'll echo Neil as a current member of MassCar. IPMS has been very good to MassCar, and most of the military modeling clubs near us are on excellent terms with us. We all enter each other's shows, have fun together and help each other.

IPMS does have its share of pains in the rear, to be sure, but overall, we've found the experience very positive. The insurance alone makes it worthwhile.

Charlie Larkin

Guest fivespot300

my only comp with ipms is...1 year mag persicrtion is 6 issues is 47.00 a year other than that they are a great club ..lots and lots of info etc etc

As far as IPMS favoring non-car subjects, have a look at modelling as a whole. IPMS just reflects the trend of the hobby and car modelers are not the largest group of modelers out there. I would guess aircraft are far and away in the lead, followed by armor with cars trailing in somewhere behind those two, but probably ahead of ships and sci-fi.

I've never run into any real shunning of car modelers and IPMS-USA has repeatedly put out requests for more automotive subects for their newsletter to help fight this image that they only cater to the military guys.

Go for it! That is the standard negative information spread about IPMS. You never hear about all of the positives things they bring to the table. There are good people and good shows, make N takes for new modelers. I've been around alot of guys who are in IPMS and it is a good organization. I am a member myself. It will be a learning experience for you. No matter what type of model members build we can learn new techniques from one another! Just remember to have fun with it and it will be just fine. :)

I'm a MAMA member and we have been in IPMS for a long time!