Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick LeSabre Promolite Resin kit.....

BHarrison

These base models of high end manufactures like Oldmobile, Pontiac and others make great street rods. Can you share the supplier of this body? I would like to see what other models they may offer. Do you supply the interior and chassis?

Bill, contact Tom Coolidge - he has/had just what You need! I bought several roof sections from him a couple of years ago.

Are you positive you aren't thinking of Modelhaus? I know for a fact Don sells just roof sections for select cars, I'm not aware of Tom doing that, though. At least, I've never seen separate roof sections available for sale on his site.

Chuck, I'm on Modelhaus's website as I type this-----and the only roof sections I see listed are the GM 1959-60 "Flat-tops". I do have a 4 door six window roof section (from a Johan '59 Cadillac) that was given to me by Ron Hamilton.

I don't remember where he got it from, and I'd hate to modify it into a 2-door sedan as I have a future project in mind for it. ;)

Are you positive you aren't thinking of Modelhaus? I know for a fact Don sells just roof sections for select cars, I'm not aware of Tom doing that, though. At least, I've never seen separate roof sections available for sale on his site.

Chuck, I've got one of the Modelhaus roof sections somewhere, but the ones I bought from Tom were repops of the Johan '60 Caddy fleetwood roof sections. Turns out I remember them beeing two door roof sections, but these are four door roofs I dug out from my stash.

Promoliteroofsection005-vi.jpg

Here is a link to a couple of more pics:

http://public.fotki.com/Letukkamies/model-car-parts/

Yup! This is the one I got..............now if I could get hold of a couple more of 'em, that would be nice! Not too hard to turn that into a 2 door sedan roof. ;)

Bill, I compared it to the Olds four door roof and the shape and size are the same. I couldn't find my '59 Le Sabre two door to do the comparison between them, but I am quite positive Tom used the same roof section. All one needs to do is craft in the 2 dr door tops and quarter window frames with some evergreen and You are done. The hardest part is crafting the roof section to the body and doing all the bodywork. Just trim carefully and it will turn out great.

That roof on the Buick 2 door sedan appears to have a fairly accurately sized rear glass area.. that would go well on a '59 or '60 Chevy to create a more accurate 2 door sedan than the one currently available which has the Impala Sport Coupe roof. That rear glass is much, much to large as the 2 door hardtops had a smaller roof skin because the rear glass extended a lot further to wards the front of the car than the sedan glass did. Also, the AAM Biscayne sedan has the wrong roof line - the sedan roof line was higher than the hardtops and convertibles. If Tom will sell some of the proper roof sections, I'd be in for at least eight of them, if not ten.

• 2 weeks later...