Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

the question for me is, what are the 3 options for the cuda? stock, and drag are pretty much givens, but the third? pro touring? vintage road race?

Looking at the parts tree, stock, stock and drag maybe? Because I see two different stock hoods, bumper choices Casey mentioned..and maybe there are two stock wheel choices (Rallys and steelies/dds, maybe)?

Edited by Rob Hall

Guys....I can't even tell you how happy I am today because as of 3:30pm yesterday, October, 6 2012, Revell has FINALLY gone public with their all-new '70 'cuda kit.

Unfortunately I was on the other side of the exhibit hall when Roger Harney and Ed Sexton setup their display at the NNL but I talked with the Revell team extensively last night after the event and learned additional details, most (but not all) that I can share with you now.

First, the kit is all-new. Revell understands with extreme clarity the issues with their prior attempts to do a '70 'cuda from existing tooling and they have gone to great lenths on this one to get the body proportions right. As I said above, I was not able to examine the samples, but others who did yesterday told me it looked exactly correct.

The first kit out will be a 2 in 1 with multiple stock building options and a Foose-style Pro-Touring version with a dropped suspension and appropriate wheels and tires. The stock version with will include BOTH the chrome front bumper and the optional body-colored version (which are different in execution in the 1/1 scale 'cuda) - GREAT! (I had campaigned for the body color bumper but never dreamed Revell would decide to do both). The body has the correct "gill" rockers (which I also campaigned for). Both the standard dual scoop 'cuda hood and the Air Grabber (which I believe was standard on the 'cuda with a Hemi) are included, so while the kit has the 426 Hemi powertrain, the parts to kitbash several '70 'cuda powertrain variants are already in the box!

The kit was designed by the same Revell staffer who did the '32 Street Rod series and Revell's '40 Ford series, along with some 300 Revell/Monogram kits previously. I think the comparison with the '32 Ford series is apt because my belief all along has been that a '70 'cuda kit, done right, could have the potential for the same degree of success and just as many variants down the road.

Speaking of variants, I was surprised to learn a few years ago just how "close to stock" a certain '70 'cuda racing car was, and passed that on to the Revell team. Yesterday I was told by someone else (not Roger or Ed), that the very car I had referenced has already been tooled. I did learn that there are ideas for a third kit variant down to road if the first issue sells well, but I cannot share the details at this time. However, apparently the second version referenced above could be out within a year after the stock version hits the street.

For those who know the '70 and '71 'cudas well, the '70 presented a pure design ethic, clearly delivered into the marketplace. In my personal and professional (auto industry career) opinion, the '71 'cuda was confused, overwrought with styling gimmicks and tacky graphics (of course, those very elements make it popular now), but the rising auction values for 1/1 scale '70 hemi 'cudas reflects the increased market awareness of its design virtues.

There have been several OK and good sources of 1/24th/1/25th '71 'cudas in the intervening years, but up until last night, if you wanted an accurate 1/25th scale '70 'cuda, you paid about $200 for the original MPC annual kit.

Now (and this presumes that the body proportions will live up to their billing), we'll be able to get a far more accurate kit, with great building options, for a price point just above 1/10th that price.

As we now wait with baited breath (my own forecast is that we'll see the kit on the market next summer or early fall), I would like to thank all those who provided their support for this kit idea, on this message board and others, and all those who provided info to the Revell team.

Also, I would like to thank the entire Revell team for their dedication and persistence in bringing this idea to market.

Like many of the rest of us, I can hardly wait!

Best regards...TIM

Edited by Casey

Great journey on this, Tim, and delighted to hear it's bore fruit. Looking forward to seeing the new kit when it gets released. Your hard work and dreams paid off. Thank you.

Virgil...thanks for the feedback!

I do want to make sure everyone understands that I was nothing more than a bit player in this saga (albeit, a bit player with dreams, as accurately suggested by Virgil above)....it's the team at Revell that deserves the major kudos on this endeavour.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Tim awesome story! Do you know if they will realease AAR and 71 also? I was impressed with pics posted in others threads and I can't wait to next summer!

Cesar, personally I've had no discussions with Revell about the '71 so I don't know if there are any plans down the road. The level of changes between the '70 and '71 (the entirely different grille setup, the louvered front fenders, the different tailamps, different interior upholstery) would make this a pretty involved project requiring a different front, side and rear tool insert.

As for a '70 1/2 AAR, that would be a much more containable project, but at this point it's just speculation as far as I know.

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Virgil...thanks for the feedback!

I do want to make sure everyone understands that I was nothing more than a bit player in this saga (albeit, a bit player with dreams, as accurately suggested by Virgil above)....it's the team at Revell that deserves the major kudos on this endeavour.

TIM

Of course, Tim, but it behooves them to listen to their customers every once in a while. After all, we are the ones consuming their products. They just need to keep finding ways of keeping us addicted. :D :D :D

This is all great news! I've been planning Gurney's racing AAR 'Cuda for a while now, using the Hemi 'Cuda kit for the transformation. A rumored AAR car is wonderful, especially if they go the whole nine yards for the racing version. I guess we'll wait and see.

If I may,

If the tooling already exists, ( with a built version on the table it obviously does)

Why does it take another 7-9 months to bring it to market ?

Based on pictures avail, It's obviously all new tool and not a reboxed version on the previous abomination .

A 'racing' version would be an excellant idea, question is which one ?????????

my vote would be a Sox and Martin car.

Sox-Martin1970.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

A 'racing' version would be an excellant idea, question is which one ????????? My vote would be a Sox and Martin car.

I think you are correct, especially considering the S&M '67 GTX is about to be reissued for a second time. Add narrow slicks, arched leaf springs, longer rear shocks...well, pretty much do what they did with the race versions in the '68 Hemi Dart and '68 Charger R/T kits.

Thanks for sharing all the insider info, Tim. It must've been quite a relief to finally see/hear this kit announced, and finally be able to talk about it.