Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

There is a big uproar in the eBay seller community that the eBay calculated shipping quotes that appear in auctions are grossly inflated.  There's something wrong with their calculator and sellers complain that it's costing them money.  Note in auctions you'll see disclaimers like "We charge actual shipping and will refund you the difference".  I've gotten rebates from sellers via Paypal as well as dollar bills stuck in the order.

So don't always blame the sellers. Just one of the many issues in the eBay software.

Interesting that you should mention that, Tom. I despise shipping outside of CONUS, so I routinely add 5-10 pounds to shipping weight estimate, just to make sure that I don't get hosed on shipping, which I always do if I rely on the feebay shipping calculator for accuracy.

Not today, but flea market finds for the past several months. This year I relocated from Los Angeles to my original home in SC.  I really miss Smith Bros., Burbank House of Hobbies and Autobooks, Brookhurst Hobbies, etc. And especially the KCI swap meets in Buena Park.  I don't find this kind of stuff every week at the local flea markets, but here are some things I have found:

AMT Chevy Van/Open Road Camper, $5 - a real Grail for me. Body partly brush-painted with thick white goop, but Round 2 will fix that.  Otherwise untouched with all Camper parts.  Decal sheet cut but "Open Road" logos are OK.

AMT 39/40 Ford Sedan, original issue, $15 - not sure about this one. The uncut decals, instructions, box are definitely original.  Everything complete and mostly still on sprues. But body and other parts are in light blue plastic. I thought originals came in black or grey plastic only.  Anyway I'd pay $15 for a reissue, so I'm happy with it.

AMT 72 GMC Stepside and 90 Chevy C1500 pickup kits, and Revell 66 Chevelle Wagon, $40 for all 3. You just can't have too many station wagons...

Lindberg BMW R75/5 bike 1/16 scale, mint in box $15.  I have a couple of these as parts kits/gluebombs, so it's nice to see the instructions and a complete kit.

Monogram original issue Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton, very neat assembly of engine/chassis only, no paint, $15

Renwal Revivals "66 Duesenberg," mostly built, cracked but fixable lower body, no paint, complete & in original box, $20

Tonka Dioramas, "Four-Alarm Call," 1/24 1913 Model T Phaeton shadow-box diorama. With oak & glass display case, all inner bags still sealed, $6.00

I built the Lorinser version of that kit many years ago for a friend; don't recall any assembly problems and it came out very nice. Try it - you might like it!

Well, I'm that way with a lot of cars, Chris. While I may like the real car a lot, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd ever want to build a model of it. I tend to stick with muscle cars and classic 30's/40's types, with an occasional 55 or so thrown in.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...