Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Dodge Charger

Peter Lombardo

Completed yesterday, I just finished the detailing. This is the 1964 Dodge Charger Concept Car. This is the car that just sold for $1,000,000.00 at auction. I have enclosed pictures of the real car along with my model of it. Sorry if it is a long post, but I think it is an interesting car that is just getting some press. As stated earlier, this started as a Lindberg '64 Dodge 330 drag car. I cut off the top and used part of it for the roll bar. The headrests were made from scratch with the cushions made with many small bits of masking tape covered with super glue and then paint. The engine is from the Lindberg Dodge Hemi with a parts box carb. and and an air filter from a 1970 Super Bee and detailed with various wire. The interior tuck and roll was made from half round plastic stock. I borrowed two tail lights from another Lindberg kit to complete the 6 tail light configuration of the Charger. I cut down a spot light and reshaped it for the tach and the rear view mirror came from the parts box. The hood scoop was the "twin" hemi style from the Dodge 330 but I filled the center as per the actual car. The wheels came from the Revell 1931 sedan, and the whitewalls are vinyl stick ons. The wheel spinners are from the Revell 1932 Highboy kit. Paint is Mopar Radiant Red with White twin strips. The grill id custom made from strip stock with a photo etched grill. The side exhaust outlets a made from ten small pieces each. The openings are surrounded with 1/4 round stock. Lastly, the bumperetts are small cut stock and the front and rear roll pans came from...Front, 1959 Chevy and rear is the Dodge chrome bumper ground down and filled with putty. I started this build in early 2005, so it took a little time to finally finish, (frustrations with the rear deck bodywork) but I am glad it is done. As usual, comments up or down always welcome.

1316590354_50d77209ec.jpg

1315703217_099a6df093.jpg

1316590126_5e27ca2598.jpg

1316590066_810893b1c0.jpg

1316589996_bcdf229025.jpg

1316589904_933acec38d.jpg

1316571302_ec43b86994.jpg

1316571730_73f03a8fce.jpg

1316590204_7a44e4f459.jpg

1315687255_7c6df4ebf8_b.jpg

That's killer! Nice work on the replica. Someone needs to do that in resin *cough* DARIN *cough*!

I wonder if the designers at Dodge were influenced by the Barris-designed Mercury Super Marauder that was on the show circuit a year previous to this? I've been working on a Super Marauder for about 10 years now and it's still not ready for primer :lol:

Thanks a million guys, I really do appreciate the kind words. Like I have said before, I build them for me, but I sure enjoy it when you guys "get it" and you understand the time and effort that goes into the projects. I like building something that is a little different, something that isn't readily available, I keep trying to push myself to take on something more challenging. I kind of like to keep three or four projects going all the time, a long term difficult build and one simple build and one or two medium builds. This way I can trade off as my mood changes, always keep them fresh in my mind and not get board or bogged down too badly. This project sat for a few years. Every so often I would pick it up and begin to work on the area that was giving me problems then one day the solution hit me, I made a change in technique and there it was...fixed. Crazy the way it works. To anwser your question Mike, the chassis came from the Lindberg kit and I think you are right Zoom, the Mercury Super Marauder has all of the same features (headrest pods, side exhaust outlets, and no top) as the Charger. They are SO VERY much "period" style concepts. Now please finish your Mercury. I think that car will look great. My next long term project is going to be another concept car...this time a Ford. Again, thanks guys.

• 3 months later...
i know this is an older topic but I LOVE IT. i NEED one of these. i have the 68-71 plus the 05.

Wow this is the first I have seen this post, so Thanks for bringing it back up MoParKid999 :o

And Peter, All I have to say is WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!! The '64 Charger Concept was one of the Cars that sucked me in to being a MoPar Fan when I was growing up :o :o I remember seeing a feature of it Hemmings Muscle Machine/Classic Cars, and MoPar Muscle Mag several years back, when it was being searched for and found! You've Done an Amazing Job replicating it! :);)B)

• 4 months later...
That's killer! Nice work on the replica. Someone needs to do that in resin *cough* DARIN *cough*!

I wonder if the designers at Dodge were influenced by the Barris-designed Mercury Super Marauder that was on the show circuit a year previous to this? I've been working on a Super Marauder for about 10 years now and it's still not ready for primer ;)

10 YEARS???!!!!?!?!?!?!?!? HOLY SH$$$$$$ttt!!! I just cant fathom doing one model for that long. I;m sure theres been quite a few in between, but thats still crazy!! I cant wait to see that. Wait this is an old forum isnt it?? well if you see this- I wanna see pics or maybr I'll just look for it now.

That concepet charger totally does the original right!! I love it when you guys go all out on your models, especially when it has to be made from practically scratch!!!! I'll be lookin for the rest of your models now!!