Model Cars Magazine Forum

I concur. Actually much of the wire I use comes from years of scavenging it from electronic devices, toys and junk. Some of the best ignition wire I have came from a remote-wire-controlled car toy; hairdryers often have insulated wires that look like braided hose. I do have a few spools from electronics stores, but just like the aluminum I buy from the metal yards, it too is raw material. Plus I have to make the plugs, looms and ends... and add the lettering.

Ok Mark, for the next one, I will show you how to draw wire and you can get some of that plastic handle dip that the tools stores sell and you can make your own wire. ;) Oh, wait, that won't satisfy some, until you dig the ore out of the ground and smelt your own metal and drill for oil for the petrochemicals to make the insulation. :lol: Ya, just can make everyone happy, so like you say, just make yourself happy! Ignore Harry! :P

Ok Mark, for the next one, I will show you how to draw wire and you can get some of that plastic handle dip that the tools stores sell and you can make your own wire. ;) Oh, wait, that won't satisfy some, until you dig the ore out of the ground and smelt your own metal and drill for oil for the petrochemicals to make the insulation. :lol: Ya, just can make everyone happy, so like you say, just make yourself happy! Ignore Harry! :P

And don't forget he has to make his own oil rig from scratch... :lol:

All kidding aside, I just realized… I did actually “scratch-build” some wire a couple months ago. (Pete, I think I told you about it at the meeting 5 weeks ago.)

I made this 0.005 diameter “wire” from Schedule C PVC sprinkler pipe on my lathe. I also made some 0.009 diameter. That comes out about 18 & 20 gauge wire in 1/12 scale. It can be painted or dyed with sharpie or hi-lighter pen.

DSC03651_zpsd73501ea.jpg

All kidding aside, I just realized… I did actually “scratch-build” some wire a couple months ago. (Pete, I think I told you about it at the meeting 5 weeks ago.)

I made this 0.005 diameter “wire” from Schedule C PVC sprinkler pipe on my lathe. I also made some 0.009 diameter. That comes out about 18 & 20 gauge wire in 1/12 scale. It can be painted or dyed with sharpie or hi-lighter pen.

DSC03651_zpsd73501ea.jpg

Oh yes, I do remember that, you had quite a handful of it. Yup, scratch built wire! That's the stuff.

Shaun - It’s not that I decided I needed to make the “wire”, was making something else and that was the by product. (But I’m always on the lookout for fine wire and recognized how useful this “free” stuff could be.) I made a bunch of it once I figured it out.

Chas – This photo pretty much explains it. Five pieces of brass tubing soldered together. The four collector tubes were bevel cut on the rear ends and soldered; then the center piece was added. Once I was done cleaning it up with emery cloth it I soldered the flange onto it.

DSC02046_zps74bf632e.jpg

Why any concern of mentioning it Dan? I'm missing any logic there.

I added the clamp mechanism to the oil tank as well as some of the line fittings and the cap to the overflow tank.

DSC03667_zps23d0d488.jpg

The brackets have the mounting hardware installed and are painted.

DSC03668_zps7889af39.jpg