Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished today! Painted in HOK cinder red with some kandy tangerine over that and cleared. I really messed up the box so I scratched one up and made it a work truck. The owner is a welder. Can't see much on the interior shot. Sorry. The engine is from the '50 Olds kit, only I modified it a little.

I used the portable Polaroid photo booth for these pics. I hope they're better than my past pics. Suggestions are certainly welcome.

005.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Thank you very much, Chris. The plates mimic the Vietnam Veterans Service Ribbon. Americans who served in Vietnam were awarded the medal.

Did you know there's a Canadian Vietnam Veterans Memorial? It's over in Windsor, Ontario. It was built by 3 Vietnam Veterans from Detroit. They took 2nd & 3rd mortgages out on their houses to get it built and say thank you to the Canadians who came down, joined the US armed forces, and were killed in Vietnam.

How's that for a history lesson?

Thanks, Rob. The pickup was the 1st subject in the new photobooth. I used a miniature milk crate to raise the build up. You can see where the tires went into the slots of the crate. The booth comes with lights and several different color backgrounds, so there's no need for me to get anything else (I don't think). All I need is some experience with the thing. I can't expect miracles from a $35 purchase.

Thanks guys.

James - the valve stems are just pieces of wire. I drill a hole in the wheel, use Micro Krystal Klear to glue in the wire, and then add a small glob of the Krystal Klear to the end. When the glue is dry, I paint it whatever color.

Cliff - the welding tanks, gauges, and torch all came from some kit a loooooooooong time ago. It looks to be a cutting torch. I'll try to get a better pic for you.

How's this?

0012.jpg

Edited by crazyjim

Nice build. Love the color. A couple of observations.......1, The hoses on a torch are red for acytelene and green for oxygen, and 2, those tanks would need to be secured somehow. If they fell over and knocked the valves off, they would become a rocket.

Just a couple things an old welder would notice. All in all a nice build.

Actually attempting this one myself with the same theme, but with a flat bed instead of the box.