Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose 1/12 Scale '69 Camaro

What would be really nice is if there was a tag-on p/e set made for use with the existing Model Car Garage 1/12 '69 Camaro p/e parts. The RS headlight door "blinds", grile trim, "RS" and "rally sport" nameplates, and faux quarter panel ducts would be welcome additions, provided someone else tackles the RS/SS tail light lenses, rear valence panel and backup lights/bezels, and the grille and headlight doors. I want to say the inner fender edges which form the grille opening are different on the RS/SS models, too.

What you refer to as 'inner fender edges' was actually part of the grille piece, often referred to as the 'hoop.' The entire 1:1 unit (grille, headlamp bezels, hoop) was one piece, delivered either black (for those models that had black grille) or argent (for the base models).

1969-camaro-grille.jpg

GRK-14.jpg

It was up to the customer or shop to mask and paint the 'hoop' body color. Many didn't bother, which is why you see so many 1:1 '69 Camaros with black or argent hoops rather than body color.

Edited by Danno

take my money...... Ill buy them no matter what name they put on it. I dont care about stock/custom...... modify it to your liking; Its just plastic.

and 69.00 for a /12th scale kit...... thats not bad at all. too many whiners.........

I cant believe people are actually complaining because having to buy separate parts is out of their budget....... sell off some of your stuff you arent using, or save up.

On the wheelsize side; when browsing yesterday through some of my kits, I discovered the Lamborghini LP400 (seventies) ran on 14 inch wheels. 14 inch on a supercar! My hot hatch from the '80's ran on 14", my dull stationwagon comes standard with 17" in 2004 and I believe the 2013 modelyear comes with 18".

Even though the wheels are growing, there must come sometime a stop to the growth, I don't see us driving on 22-24 inch wheels on our normal dailcars in 10-20 years from now.

On the wheelsize side; when browsing yesterday through some of my kits, I discovered the Lamborghini LP400 (seventies) ran on 14 inch wheels. 14 inch on a supercar! My hot hatch from the '80's ran on 14", my dull stationwagon comes standard with 17" in 2004 and I believe the 2013 modelyear comes with 18".

Even though the wheels are growing, there must come sometime a stop to the growth, I don't see us driving on 22-24 inch wheels on our normal dailcars in 10-20 years from now.

Yes..super cars back then were about small wheels w/ wide tires. I don't see car wheels getting much bigger, at least as far as factory options..but full size pickups and SUVs are already there w/ 22 inch options on some models..I remember when a 16 inch wheel was considered large, and that was only a bit over 20 years ago..

Edited by Rob Hall

Riverside County's roads have a love affair with big alloy wheels and rubber band tyres ... :angry:

In my opinion , Classic , Muscle , Pony , etc. , cars don't look right with wheels which are larger than 15" in diametre . Certainly there are some exceptions ( I've seen some gorgeous scale representations here with big wheels / low-pro tyres on Muscle cars , and I truly like them :) ) , but those exceptions are few and far between .

Like I've said before ; I admire Foose's work . As an artist and a gear head , I sincerely admire Chip's artwork (i.e. , the drawing of the project car which is being built) . I may not like all of his custom touches , but my opinion's of little consequence . Like anyone , Chip , et al. , has to earn a living , and if 33" wheels on P375-35R-33 tyres and multi-tone paint schemes pay those bills , then so be it .

Can't fault the guy for getting paid for building what his customers want :)

Could you post a bigger photo of the RS Grille ?

I'm planning on scratch building one in 1/12 scale.

Please make a master and i will buy a copy. it is the only way i am buying the Foose Camaro!!!!

joe.

Yes..super cars back then were about small wheels w/ wide tires. I don't see car wheels getting much bigger, at least as far as factory options..but full size pickups and SUVs are already there w/ 22 inch options on some models..I remember when a 16 inch wheel was considered large, and that was only a bit over 20 years ago..

I meant for the normal passenger car, I can see the 4x4/SUV/Trucks going a bit bigger, but for a normal passenger car in the future, I think it will stop at 20"

Well, at least for me Foose=RUINED, so if the kit doesn't have the stock parts i'm out.

From Revell's Ed Sexton:

It will have the stock wheels and tires, and the new Foose wheels and tires will be all new, not shared with the 1/12 Shelby Mustang.

From Revell's Ed Sexton:

It will have the stock wheels and tires, and the new Foose wheels and tires will be all new, not shared with the 1/12 Shelby Mustang.

Great news! Black stripes and an RS grille, pleeeeeaaassee!!

You mean the 1965 Revell Mustang GT350 in 1/12?

I hope not, that would be a disaster for Revell, quite a bad kit and needs a whole lot of work to get it somewhat representable. It is a complete different ballgame then the Camaro.

In that case then they need to "Fix" the problems then issue it again!!! :rolleyes:

I didn't ask if the 14" Goodyear Eagle ST tires and 14" Goodyear rear slicks are going to be included (in addition to the larger diameter Foose wheels and matching tires and the stock 15" Rally wheels and skinny tires) but even if they aren't, the STs are still easily to found on eBay or from other sources.

The optional 14" Cragar 5-spokes the original 3'n'1 kit included are pretty outdated by now, and the 14" Centerline two-piece-look wheels included with the '67 Vette kit also scream 1980's, so I can understand Revell adding a new set of wheels and tires to freshen up this kit. The wide whitewalls from the '57 Chevy Bel Air kit are one of the only other commonly available kit tires in 1/12 scale, and they look out of place on a late '60 ponycar, so tire options sourced from kits are quite limited. The Camaro's 15" Rally wheels are very basic, too, with the wheel, trim ring, and center cap all molded as one piece. You could source the Goodyear Gatorback 16" tires from either the 1/12 Testarossa or F40 kits, but again you're limited to the 5-star Ferrari wheels unless you want to make or modify your own.

I hope this kit leads to the 1/12 '67 Vette being reissued with similar, larger diameter wheels and tires, too.

You could source the Goodyear Gatorback 16" tires from either the 1/12 Testarossa or F40 kits, but again you're limited to the 5-star Ferrari wheels unless you want to make or modify your own.

Actually, I am doing that at the moment for my 1/12 Datsun, the F40 wheels are a great base for making an own wheel, you can cut out the 5-star from the inside and have a very nice sleeve left over.

Actually, I am doing that at the moment for my 1/12 Datsun, the F40 wheels are a great base for making an own wheel, you can cut out the 5-star from the inside and have a very nice sleeve left over.

I think I test fit the F40 tires on a 1/12 '69 Camaro I had at the time, but they looked a bit too small to me. If someone has both the 1/12 '69 body and a set of tires from the 1/12 Shelby GT500 kit, I'd be interested to see how well those work together.

Wheel options for 1/12 kits?

Check out a well-stocked R/C hobby shop. There's a huge number of wheels for 1/10-ish scale R/C cars ... most of which would not work, but some of which are very good-looking and appear adaptable to the 1/12 static kits. They offer some options, as there are some very modern styles available.

I think I test fit the F40 tires on a 1/12 '69 Camaro I had at the time, but they looked a bit too small to me. If someone has both the 1/12 '69 body and a set of tires from the 1/12 Shelby GT500 kit, I'd be interested to see how well those work together.

I need to make dinner at the moment, give me some time and I will post tonight (my tonight, not yours :) ) some pictures.

Wheel options for 1/12 kits?

Check out a well-stocked R/C hobby shop. There's a huge number of wheels for 1/10-ish scale R/C cars ... most of which would not work, but some of which are very good-looking and appear adaptable to the 1/12 static kits. They offer some options, as there are some very modern styles available.

1/10 scale on-road R/C wheels are 2.2", so that scales out to about a 26" wheel in 1/12.

1/10 scale on-road R/C wheels are 2.2", so that scales out to about a 26" wheel in 1/12.

All of them? I've seen wide variety in R/C wheels ... some that would look good, some that wouldn't look bad, and a lot that just wouldn't work.

Edited by Danno