Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Stock Hasegawa '72 Toyota Celica Road Racer

Art Laski

After finishing a long-term project, I wanted to build something that won't take quite so long. I always liked this era of road racers and this little Celica looked like a pretty neat kit. So I thought it would be a fun choice for a box stock build that wouldn't take too long.

Hasegawa20219Celica-vi.jpg

But... as soon as I started on it, it became apparent that it may not be as quick as I had thought. This is likely a version of a stock Celica kit, so it turns out there is a lot of hole-filling and a few other mods needed to the body on this one.

I got started anyway...

Bodywork1-vi.jpg

Bodywork2-vi.jpg

Bodywork3-vi.jpg

Bodywork001-vi.jpg

Bodywork002-vi.jpg

Bodywork003-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Neat! Are you going to paint it the same as it shows on the box?

Yep!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate you all looking in.

I got just a little more bodywork in this weekend. the instructions provided a full scale template to locate it, so I made a masking tape template I could transfer to the body to mark the hole.

BodyworkPrimer1-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer2-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer3-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer4-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer5-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer6-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer7-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Since there are absolutely no references on the internet for this car, I am mostly following the color coding on the instruction sheet. I'll make a few exceptions here and there. The instructions called out body color in a few spots, like under the wheel wells. Not sure i agree with that, but I'm going with it anyway.

BodyworkPrimer9-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer10-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer11-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer12-vi.jpg

BodyworkPrimer15-vi.jpg

never saw this version before. Did the other version not so long ago. Not a bad kit. the finish product turned out pretty good. You look like you are heading to a very great build. here is a picture of the one I did, turn it into a street car version.

It's looking good bro.

As for the chassis, they are color matched to the body. They spray some undercoating and then the color on top.

Here's my take on the chassis

116.jpg

I used the street version kit and made my own flares and front spoiler.

128.jpg

Edited by LAone

hey Art...

looks like fun

the one plus of not finding reference photos of a subject is you have control of the build...nobody else has it either, but there will be someone out there who knows everything there is to know about the dang car :wacko:

the minus is it gives you choices instead of just duplicating a model of the real thing

be keepin' an eye on it

Luis, thanks for the reference. I'm pretty sure I've seen your build at a show here in So Cal before. Great car.

Thanks for looking, Curt! You're right, I have some artistic license, and I'll take it. Hopefully no one will criticize! ;)

John, Chris, glad to have more of my friends following along. It will motivate me to keep going!

Nice builds, Jesse. I like this version, but I like the one you have there too. It's a little more like you would find in SCCA.

Thanks, Ira!

Mitchell, I can't take credit for that chassis. That was Luis' fine build. I'll probably go a different direction because I want to experiment a little.

I'm still making some progress. The bumpers came with plugs to fill where the plates would go, so I put those in and smoothed them out.

002-vi.jpg

001-vi.jpg

Started on the chassis painting...

003-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

009-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg