Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

What irked me today is realizing at Noon today that today was the show in Henderson that I had planned to attend, just to show G that I can pay him back for coming to DSC!

Boy Howdy, my calendar alarm failed me this time.

(G probably rigged my calendar so I'd show up next weekend. :P)

Well, I guess I am irked now because I had no idea there was a show this past weekend within driving distance. I too, would have gone.

Were there flyers at the DSC?

:blink:

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Tried to upload a gopro video from riding yesterday onto youtube, and got the "error 500" message. I waited it out and then uploaded my video, only to find that it uploaded in 360p! :angry: I took it down and I guess I will try again tomorrow.

(G probably rigged my calendar so I'd show up next weekend. :P)

People show up early and late for NNL East. This year I had a guy who called to verify the show was the Saturday before it actually was. I told him, no the show was the 26th. He argued with me that it was the 19th and he had a flyer with that date! He said he was going to get it and call me right back. He never called. And he was soooo sure of himself. As if I wouldn't know.

I also had a guy call this year to verify the show was on. Someone told him it was cancelled. Probably somone who didn't want to give him a ride!

Other years I've gotten calls from people standing outside the building, waking me up at 7 or 8am on a weekend.... the week before, Sunday after the show (it couldn't have been yesterday, NNL is ALWAYS on Sunday... um, it's NEVER been on a Sunday) and the weekend after too! (I KNOW it's today... um, why did a thousand people show up LAST Saturday then?)

This year I got a 7am Sunday call from a guy who lost kits at the show... yea, we had them. Someone turned them in.

And my very favorite... people who call up to complain about another NNL in another state... or a John Carslile swap meet that's held in the same building. (We went to your show in April, but your July show was so small and there weren't any models on display?)

And my favorite question... "Why don't you hold NNL East there every month?" Yea, that would work!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Doctors appointments. They tell you to get there 15 to 20 minutes before your appt. and then they don't see you till 15 to 20 minutes after your appt.

Well you wouldn't want to waste the doctors time, cause that would just be rude. ;)

Edited by Pete J.

When I was still working I went to a doctor and waited over an hour. I was just slightly upset so I sent the doctor a bill for my time. His office called and said they don't pay people. I made a fuss and got the next appointment at no charge. I never waited more than 10 minutes after that.

...and then actually see you for all of 15 or 20 minutes and charge you $200.

I learned that I don't equate a professionals time to how much they charge you. I am paying them for their skill and expertise. If it takes them 5 minutes or 5 days doesn't matter. I learned this when I was working with plumbers and other craftsman. I use to hear people complain all the time, "It only took him 30 minutes and he charged me $100." My response was "How long would it have taken you to fix it?" And most people would respond with either " I couldn't do it." or "Most of the afternoon." Well, then you paid him for his skill and not his time didn't you? I am really that way with medical people. I want the best doc I can have. What they charge me is really not important, but I also am not willing to allow them to waste my time either. My time is as valuable to me as theirs is to them. I don't mined a 5 or 10 minute wait. Heck, I could have that in the grocery store. If it is going to be longer than that, I understand. Things go wrong and dealing with people is not an exact science, but if it is going to be a hour, call me and let me know. Adjust the schedule and let me know when they will see me and I will be there then. That is just mutual respect for each others time.

I learned that I don't equate a professionals time to how much they charge you. I am paying them for their skill and expertise. If it takes them 5 minutes or 5 days doesn't matter. I learned this when I was working with plumbers and other craftsman. I use to hear people complain all the time, "It only took him 30 minutes and he charged me $100."

I guess we live by different standards. I do my own plumbing, carpentry, electrical work, and of course all my own work on all my vehicles (and do it at least to the standards of "professional craftsmen"). I've been navigating some slightly tricky legal issues myself since last August, after being quoted insane hourly rates by attorneys. I won, and even managed to bring to the court's attention a procedural mistake a judge made that would have cost me the case. I've also navigated successfully the complex and arcane procedure of obtaining patents and trademarks (several, actually). I rarely have to hire someone to do something I can't.

The reason I've chosen to learn multiple skills is primarily because, when I paid "professionals" to do the work, it was usually of only mediocre quality, incomplete, or just plain shoddy.

When I work as a "professional" engineering consultant or in other paying capacities, I establish an hourly fee up front (usually consistent with my "skill and expertise") and that's how much I get. If something takes me 1/4 of an hour to do, I charge for 1/4 of an hour for my time. I keep stopwatches on my work to keep it all accurate. I don't get paid while I'm in the john, loafing on the internet, or chatting up the receptionist.

But that's just me.

Because of the way I've chosen to live, most of my medical expenditure comes out of my own pocket, and because I charge scrupulously fairly for the work I do, I don't have all-encompassing medical coverage because I can't afford it. To stick me $200 for something that could have been handled over the phone in 5 minutes (and took two hours, including travel time and the wait, out of my otherwise productive day) is BS.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Because of the way I've chosen to live, most of my medical expenditure comes out of my own pocket, and because I charge scrupulously fairly for the work I do, I don't have all-encompassing medical coverage because I can't afford it. To stick me $200 for something that could have been handled over the phone in 5 minutes (and took two hours, including travel time and the wait, out of my otherwise productive day) is BS.

You do now, or get fined. We cant afford it either, so we had to buy the cheapest policy we could get, with a $13,000 deductible on EVERYTHING but preventative.

Along with everything else that works so incredibly well these days, I had to spend 2 hours online with Comcast "analysts" recovering my e-mail contact list, which they had dumped...with NO WARNING...as part of the apparent SOP when an account is moved. So they said.

I moved less than a mile away. I kept the same name, phone number and other contact info. I've been using the account as usual for 3 weeks. Today it stopped. No reason, just "there's a problem with your access information" message.

Two hours and 3 Indian account guys later, and an associated phone problem that prevented the verification call coming in, I'm back up with my email restored.

And Comcast is the ONLY high-speed internet provider in my current location.

Now to resolve the incredibly fubarred Comcast billing mistakes resulting from the move.

I'm SO SO glad that all the high-tech stuff makes my life SO SO much easier and more convenient, and that everything works SO well in the "modern" world.

You do now, or get fined. We cant afford it either, so we had to buy the cheapest policy we could get, with a $13,000 deductible on EVERYTHING but preventative.

Yeah, I love the logic there. You don't have health insurance because you can't afford it, so they fine you.

Like, you got no money to buy health insurance, so they take more money out of your pocket with a fine.

What kind of MORONS are running the world??

Yeah, I love the logic there. You don't have health insurance because you can't afford it, so they fine you.

Like, you got no money to buy health insurance, so they take more money out of your pocket with a fine.

What kind of MORONS are running the world??

The morons that we elected are running it...

Along with everything else that works so incredibly well these days, I had to spend 2 hours online with Comcast "analysts" recovering my e-mail contact list, which they had dumped...with NO WARNING...as part of the apparent SOP when an account is moved. So they said.

I moved less than a mile away. I kept the same name, phone number and other contact info. I've been using the account as usual for 3 weeks. Today it stopped. No reason, just "there's a problem with your access information" message.

Two hours and 3 Indian account guys later, and an associated phone problem that prevented the verification call coming in, I'm back up with my email restored.

And Comcast is the ONLY high-speed internet provider in my current location.

Now to resolve the incredibly fubarred Comcast billing mistakes resulting from the move.

I'm SO SO glad that all the high-tech stuff makes my life SO SO much easier and more convenient, and that everything works SO well in the "modern" world.

ISPs and cable companies all suck at different levels..

I've had a bunch over the years--Comcast, Cox, Adelphia (any remember them?)

For the last 10 years or so, I've kept all my email and contacts in Gmail after migrating from Yahoo before that, so I never lose any email if a computer dies or when I move or change ISPs. I don't trust them..