Model Cars Magazine Forum

Same here, stuck in East Anglia (RAF Sculthorpe '57-'61) for four years. Well not really stuck, best years of my life(as a kid).

We coveted two kits one listed in the Sears catalog as being "prepainted" (never did substantiate that).

Needless to say first hobby shop I hit in the states I bought both.:)

Lindberg 525-249 B-17 NM.JPG

Monogram PA31-149 TBFa.JPG

Same here, stuck in East Anglia (RAF Sculthorpe '57-'61) for four years. Well not really stuck, best years of my life(as a kid).

We coveted two kits one listed in the Sears catalog as being "prepainted" (never did substantiate that).

Needless to say first hobby shop I hit in the states I bought both.:)

Lindberg 525-249 B-17 NM.JPG

Monogram PA31-149 TBFa.JPG

I built that Monogram TBF when it came out, about, what, 1962, 63? Worst modeling experience of my life to that point. It literally made me cry.

Many, many years later, I tried it again. Had no particular problems with it. Discovered later that it's a bit undersized--more like 1/50 scale than 1/48. The even older Lindberg kit is true 1/48 (by my actual measurements).

I'd still like to try that old Lindberg B-17, if I ever run across a cheap one. It's in an odd 1/64 scale but I think it would be cool to do anyway.

MonogramTBM02.jpg

Edited by Snake45

Yes She has the Optional Pregnancy parts.

I have one I found at a Yardsale several years ago.

Paid the same for her that I paid for an early Revell issue

of the V8. $5.oo!!

She might not be 100% complete, but enough to build!

V8 Was Complete, and I built it.

Definitely would be better to replace those Push rods with aluminum ones!!

Even with the batteries at less than New, they can flex enough to drop down into the oilpan!!!!

• 1 month later...

The Renwal Visible V8 was one my favorite kits from when I was a kid. I hate what Revell was done to that kit by taking away all the electrical parts. The Revell version without the working starter motor and flashing spark plus is just not as fun as the original Renwal one.

I'd love to see the Renwal/Exner Revival kits reissued. People keep saying they wouldn't sell well today. By reading the responses here, it looks to me like they might sell. I hope the dies/tooling have not been destroyed. And someday they will be reissued.

Lastly, one of the Renwal "visible" kit I have not seen anybody mention here, is Renwal's Visible Pigeon. Yes. Besides visible V8s, men, women, dogs, horses, frogs, etc. They once offered a visible pigeon! Scale Model Supplies in St. Pual, MN had one on their shelves for years. In fact, I haven't checked lately, for all I know, the kit may still be there. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm there.

B-17 was just reissued with better decals and vintage-style box.  Shouldn't be hard to find.  Now as for the definition of "cheap" I don't know, but they at least are back in circulation.  Maybe they'll wind up at Hobby Lobby or the chains. 

http://www.megahobby.com/b-17gflyingfortressnosearteditionaircraft164lindberg.aspx 

Renwal was an early model company, based on Long Island and known primarily for their military models. They did a series of car kits known as the Renwal Revival series, they were modern takes on classic cars. Renwal was bought by Revell in the late 60's or early 70's. One of Revell's best known and longest running models, the 1/4 scale Visible V-8, was originally a Renwal model. Revell has been reissuing some of the old Renwal kits in original-style packaging recently.

My first exposure to Renwal products was the collection of 1/24 scale dollhouse furniture that my two sisters accumulated over several years back in the early-mid 1950's.  Those pieces were very well done, quite realistic-even though I would never have played with them as a kid(!)--they would make excellent diorama pieces today though.  Their line of "Authenti-Kits" of armor and US Army field vehicles were neat though--built several of those when in Jr High, and a couple of their US Navy Ships when in high school.

While it never grabbed my attention, Renwal's "Visible V8" was a perennial seller each year, leading up to Christmas, at Weber's Hobby Shop when I worked my way through college there back in the 1960's, while the Visible Chassis kit simply gathered dust--I  suspect for two reasons:  Price (it was frightfully expensive even back then--over $20, which seemed a fortune at the time for a plastic model kit) and huge (at 1/4 scale, even foreshortened, it was a lot of model to find a place to display in an 1,100 square foot 3-bedroom tract house which was quite common here).  We sold perhaps only one or two a year, taking several years to get rid of the initial stock.

Their visible biological kits, on the other hand, sold like snow-cones on the 4th of July, at Christmas, and then in February-March, as middle school kids picked them out for school science projects.

Art

My first exposure to Renwal products was the collection of 1/24 scale dollhouse furniture that my two sisters accumulated over several years back in the early-mid 1950's.  Those pieces were very well done, quite realistic-even though I would never have played with them as a kid(!)--they would make excellent diorama pieces today though.  

It's interesting to see what other things model companies produced, especially some of the earlier companies.  I knew about the doll house furniture, but did they make anything else?

Note that Pyro of Union, NJ  was another interesting company. The owner was a pioneer of injection molding technology, which was his main focus.  They also made toy lines of space related toys like ray guns that are very sought after today!

I remember that some company made salesman samples of appliances like stoves and refrigerators... just don't remember who!

Edited by Tom Geiger

It's interesting to see what other things model companies produced, especially some of the earlier companies.  I knew about the doll house furniture, but did they make anything else?

Note that Pyro of Union, NJ  was another interesting company. The owner was a pioneer of injection molding technology, which was his main focus.  They also made toy lines of space related toys like ray guns that are very sought after today!

I remember that some company made salesman samples of appliances like stoves and refrigerators... just don't remember who!

Actually, the staple of Pyro was their line of pyrometers (heat detectors) which are used all over the place--perhaps the most visible in restaurants for calibrating the temperature of griddles for grilling burgers, etc. (Learned that in a conversation with the owner of Pyro at an HIAA hobby trade show, in the early 1970's)

Art

One of the big model train companies' main business was those Styrofoam coolers you get at the gas station. Whoever made the Styrofoam mountains and tunnels for trains, Life-Like I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Brett Barrow

My first exposure to Renwal products was the collection of 1/24 scale dollhouse furniture that my two sisters accumulated over several years back in the early-mid 1950's.  Those pieces were very well done, quite realistic-even though I would never have played with them as a kid(!)--they would make excellent diorama pieces today though.  Their line of "Authenti-Kits" of armor and US Army field vehicles were neat though--built several of those when in Jr High, and a couple of their US Navy Ships when in high school.

While it never grabbed my attention, Renwal's "Visible V8" was a perennial seller each year, leading up to Christmas, at Weber's Hobby Shop when I worked my way through college there back in the 1960's, while the Visible Chassis kit simply gathered dust--I  suspect for two reasons:  Price (it was frightfully expensive even back then--over $20, which seemed a fortune at the time for a plastic model kit) and huge (at 1/4 scale, even foreshortened, it was a lot of model to find a place to display in an 1,100 square foot 3-bedroom tract house which was quite common here).  We sold perhaps only one or two a year, taking several years to get rid of the initial stock.

Their visible biological kits, on the other hand, sold like snow-cones on the 4th of July, at Christmas, and then in February-March, as middle school kids picked them out for school science projects.

Art

One or two a year? I'll sell one or two EVERY Saturday between Black Friday and Christmas. I'm just in the shop on Saturdays now, but I'm sure they sell a few more during the week.  $20 in 1965 is around $150 in today's money, I'm sure it was a shocker back then. It sells for about half that now.  I remember one Christmas when Revell was going through ownership/management upheaval and we couldn't get any. Folks were bummed! 

One or two a year? I'll sell one or two EVERY Saturday between Black Friday and Christmas. I'm just in the shop on Saturdays now, but I'm sure they sell a few more during the week.  $20 in 1965 is around $150 in today's money, I'm sure it was a shocker back then. It sells for about half that now.  I remember one Christmas when Revell was going through ownership/management upheaval and we couldn't get any. Folks were bummed! 

I think Art means they sold only one or two chassis a year. That being said, if I am the one misunderstanding and you truly do sell one or two of the visible chassis every saturday approaching Christmas, and for $150, I will take two. Let me know where to send the money. :)

I think Art means they sold only one or two chassis a year. That being said, if I am the one misunderstanding and you truly do sell one or two of the visible chassis every saturday approaching Christmas, and for $150, I will take two. Let me know where to send the money. :)

ME TOO! !!!!  Hahaha   that's beautiful. Back to reality. I saw one of the 1/4 scale chassis going for over  $ 800 hundred once. Someone must of bought it because it was eventually gone. I would love to see those re-issued. I'm sure that in all reality it's never going to happen. Thanks everyone.     Jeff