Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Gas Stations and Cars

How did I miss this topic?  I built this gas station based on a Ken Ebberts painting, not the right car but gives you the basic look.  I have a book about gas stations, there are some along Route 66 that I would love to do. Having the space to display is a problem.

48173223041_5f742438f5_h.jpg

In case some of us haven't seen them, my Flickr page has this album of blueprints dated 1959 for a three-bay Texaco station, with measurements - feel free to download them and build whatever scale you like:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62734960@N02/albums/72157686504022760

Edited by ChrisBcritter

A nice reference book for gas station photos is Pump and Circumstance : The Glory Days of the Gas Station by John Margolies

I believe it's out of print as my copy has a 1993 publishing date.  It's worth seeking out and doesn't seem too hard to find on eBay or from other secondary market sellers.

s-l400 (3).jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

5 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

A nice reference book for gas station photos is Pump and Circumstance : The Glory Days of the Gas Station by John Margolies

I believe it's out of print as my copy has a 1993 publishing date.  It's worth seeking out and doesn't seem too hard to find on eBay or from other secondary market sellers.

s-l400 (3).jpg

That's the book I have!  So worth it.

On 1/26/2014 at 12:32 PM, vypurr59 said:

Here is a link that was posted before of a PBS broadcast about old gas stations and was very informative as well .

http://video.wpt.org/video/2328721025/

Thanks for posting this link. It's a great insight into our own childhood experiences and memories. Well worth watching for any of those with about a half hour of spare time to spend instead of the usual TV wasteland we are supposed to find entertaining today.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:33 PM, 89AKurt said:

How did I miss this topic?  I built this gas station based on a Ken Ebberts painting, not the right car but gives you the basic look.  I have a book about gas stations, there are some along Route 66 that I would love to do. Having the space to display is a problem.

48173223041_5f742438f5_h.jpg

I can see why the attendant looks a little perplexed. "What grade of leaded fuel and where does it go?"

Edited by Oldcarfan27