Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom Daniels Paddy Wagon engine?

well, based on the cross ram intake manifolds, I'd guess is may be a mopar engine but maybe it's just a generic "engine block"...

odds are that it was carbureted originally, it may have had "throttle body" fuel injection fitted later but I doubt it.

the things on the end of the headers are probably mufflers.

Edited by blunc

I looked at the parts in one of my kits and the engine block and trans do look like a Chrysler . But the heads are similar to a Ford 427 and the valve covers are definitely small block Chevy ! The things on the headers are called " Header Plugs " on the instruction sheet , your guess is as good as mine .

The tooling was probably copied from existing kits at the time . Since it was never a real car I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a copy of any particular engine

Yeah, youse guys who said the model engine is a generic mashup are correct in your observations.

The other odd thing is that the exhaust port spacing appears to have the end ports slightly closer to each other than the center ports. Only OHV V8 with that particular configuration is Buick nailhead.

The cross-ram intake manifold port-spacing is totally wonky and doesn't exist in reality on ANY engine.

One kit review I came across calls the engine a "wild fully modified Cobra mill", whatever that means. FE, supposedly?

It's not an accurate model of any real engine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

According to Hot Rod, the engine was a 428 Ford.

Looks pretty real to me:

http://canneysgarage.canney.net/reference/casper/paddywagon/index.html

Definitely a Ford in your photos, but there are many significant differences between the 1:1 and the model. I THINK the model was designed and produced first. Much earlier.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Paddy Wagon pictured is a die-cast model, not the 1/24 Monogram kit. Here's the Monogram model:

IMG_7604.jpg

To make things even more confusing, Monogram, AMT and MPC all released "Paddy Wagon" kits, and all were different. Here's the MPC version, "The Paddy Wagon" which is a replica of the Carl Casper 1:1 car in Harry's link above:

paddy_wagon_casper_big.jpg

Paddy Wagon is an abbreviation of Patrol Wagon...

From wikipedia:

The most prevalent theory is based on the term "Paddy" (a common Irish shortening of Patrick, as in the Irish language Patrick is Padraig), which was used (often as derogatory slang) to refer to Irish people.[3] Irishmen made up a large percentage of the officers of early police forces in manyAmerican cities. Thus, this theory suggests that the concentration of Irish in the police forces led to the term "paddy wagon" being used to describe the vehicles driven by police.

An alternative theory is similarly based on the term "Paddy" but states that the term arose due to the allegedly high crime level among Irish immigrants.[4]

I am not positive but it could be used like a chevy cross-ram intake unless the runners don't match...

Yup, that's the basic problem. The runners don't match at all, and one side goes to points on the head where no ports could exist...assuming heads on OHV V8 engines are symmetrical, which they always are...at least in port position relative to everything else.

I first got one of these as a built-up, and at first assumed someone had just put it together wrong. Nope.

You'll notice on this old Mopar cross-ram, the runners are staggered and straddle each other, in order to match up with where the ports are on the heads. You would have to modify the kit manifolds to look like this in order to have any semblance of reality.

Chryslercrossram_01_700.jpg

Here's another view of a similar manifold installed. The intake port configuration of this Mopar is similar to a smallblock Chebby. The intake ports on a Ford FE, which the kit engine somewhat resembles, are not paired like this, but are evenly spaced.

AUT21754.jpg

This is a Ford FE intake-side shot. Evenly spaced ports. Note also that the head has an incomplete valve-cover gasket seating rail. The rest of the rail is formed by the intake manifold, a design peculiar to the FE.

ccrp_0808_09_z%2Bford_390_fe%2Bhead.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's not just the valve cover gasket seating rail that's missing on the FE heads, the pushrods also goes through holes in the intake manifold and the gasket seating rail is behind that on a FE, that and the fact that the intake ports on most Ford engines are evenly spaced...as are the exhaust ports...so the kit setup is pure fantasy as it isn't possible on a real FE engine.

Edited by Force

• 10 months later...

Yes 428 are available in kit form.

But 332, 352, 361 (Edsel), 390, 406, 410 (Mercury), 427 or 428 are all FE engines and has basically the same outside appearence, so it doesn't matter wich one you use, things that can differ are valve covers, exhaust and induction setups.