Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Tim.... "WOW" that is Perfection right there :wub:. I was expecting just a bracket and I got a whole steering wheel Assembly....lol That is some Kick A$$ work right there.... I may need to quit building now.... lol Kidding.... I wouldn't actually stop building because of my love of our hobby. Your work is very inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing your Beautiful work.

That bracket and the whole assembly is stunning. Been following this one since the beginning. Beautiful work. I'm always looking for the next installment. Just amazing.

What did you use for the coiled wires running from the wheel? I wound my own once, but the wire was not flexible enough to turn with the wheel. I have not been able to find a working substitute.

Thanks

Scott

Thanks guys. I have to admit I really enjoy making parts such as that one.....especially when they turn out the way I had hoped.  To answer the questions that Art and Scott asked:  the coiled wire on the steering wheel I purchased from Parts by Parks.  Like everyone else, we search for the best products for a given application....this wire met the bill perfectly I thought because of the way it winds up AND the shade of the red is just right.  I simply hand wound the wire around a #75 drill bit and it holds it's shape nicely.  Cheers, Tim

Thank you very much Nie and Dave.  I was able to get the steering wheel brackets that support the curved bracket on the frame. Took me longer to do that than to make the actual bracket I believe.  The 3 hoop pieces are done and bolted in place so I'll solder them on tomorrow so I can finish this part.  After tying in some support bars I'm finally moving onto the front frame rails and suspension.......then it's back to finish up the interior, roof rails and other assorted bits and pieces.  The list IS getting smaller.
Merry Christmas everyone and for those that celebrate other Holidays, a Happy Holiday to you and your family as well.   Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Steering Wheel & Hoop 047

Henry J Twin Turbo Steering Wheel & Hoop 081

Henry J Twin Turbo Steering Wheel & Hoop 091

Henry J Twin Turbo Steering Wheel & Hoop 017

Thank you Bob & Dave....this is my last post till after Christmas.  Today I completed the front hoop which lets me move onto the front suspension. For reasons of clean-up, I'll do the roof bars and pillars towards the end of the build.  Another thanks to Dave (comp1839)  as I've been inspired by his previous builds and have "borrowed" liberally from some of his design and fabrication ideas.  I would have had no idea as to where to even begin building a chassis like this one without his insights.  As challenging as the build has been, it's been infinitely more manageable thanks to him.  Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Hoop 062

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Hoop 022

Henry J Twin Turbo Completed Hoop 037

I guess it's about time for someone to make the oft-used (and well-deserved) comment about this project being a work of art.  Beautiful job, Tim.  I am continually fascinated by your craftsmanship and attention to detail.  I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas.  Hope everyone appreciates the reason for the season and not just the gift-giving/receiving.  I am already anticipating your next update!

Edited by futurattraction

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a great Holiday and New Year.  I had an opp to meet with Dave while making changes to the jig in preparation of doing the front suspension and brakes.  He was kind enough to use his mill to narrow the hub and widen the outer rim of the front wheels.  I'm trying to make these as accurate as possible and the start of it all began with having some wheels that will permit the brake caliper to sit where it belongs.  I machined a small adapter that represents the holes on the back of the wheel where the brake hub and disc threads to the back of the wheel. The  wheels are going to be spindle mounts and you can see the spindles I've done on the lathe but not parted off to length yet.  The carbon discs have yet to be "washed" yet with paint but I did machine them from Renshape (Dave used it on his cars quite successfully so I thought I'd give it a try) I really like the stuff and how it machines.  The brake hub (have to make it's twin) is 6.5mm in diameter, 1.2mm in depth and has a .6mm relief on the backside for the nuts and bolts.   btw, Joe......I had to drill out the 10 tiny holes of course and on the very last hole, with only .25mm to go, I snapped one off IN the hole.  I parted off the hub carefully and this time got lucky as the tip of the bit came out......just lucky as I said.  After 4 hours of making one, I didn't want to lose it.  Cheers, tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Brake Hub 009

In this next pic you can see how well the disc sits now with regards to it's overall height on the wheel.  Originally, the caliper wouldn't have even fit inside the rim and the caliper would have extended well past the wheel rim which to be correct, it shouldn't.  

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Brake Hub 027

In this pic you can clearly see the nut that secures the wheel to the spindle and hub.

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Brake Hub 034

You're back! I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms due to a lack of updates on this build. As always the level of detail that you are able to incorporate is outstanding.  I trust that you and  your family had a great festive season.