Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

I guess this is how international commerce works - I'm assuming that the kits came over on a boat that docked about 30 miles from here, now my LHS tells me they'll be getting them from their east coast distributor in a few days. That Comet is going to have a lot of miles on it by the time it reaches me!

Yep!  That's how it works!   Moebius is based in Florida.

Ron or Rick, could you tell us the width and length of the chassis? I'd like to start planning some conversions (Falcon, Ranchero, '64 Comet, etc.).

Hi I just saw your note. The length is 7-1/4" and the width is 2-1/2" but at the wheels wells it's 2-5/8" our you or is any one going to do a 202 that's why I got 4 kits. LOL. I would like a 202.

Hi I just saw your note. The length is 7-1/4" and the width is 2-1/2"

Great! Thanks for the info.

I just dug into my collection, did some measuring, and got the following comparisons for these old AMT kits:

'61, '62, and '63 Falcons: Length 6 3/4", width 2 1/2", wheelbase 4 3/8" ('60 should be the same)

'61 Ranchero: Length 7", width 2 11/32", wheelbase 4 3/8" (extra 1/4" is in rear overhang)

'64 Falcon: Length 6 13/32", width 2 11/32", wheelbase 4 3/8" ('65 should be the same)

'61 Comet: Length 7 1/8", width 2 1/2", wheelbase 4 1/2"

'64 Comet: Length 7 7/32", width 2 11/32", wheelbase 4 9/16"

Overhangs in front and rear will vary, of course; we'll know more when someone gets a '65 built.

Hope this helps!

Great! Thanks for the info.

I just dug into my collection, did some measuring, and got the following comparisons for these old AMT kits:

'61, '62, and '63 Falcons: Length 6 3/4", width 2 1/2", wheelbase 4 3/8" ('60 should be the same)

'61 Ranchero: Length 7", width 2 11/32", wheelbase 4 3/8" (extra 1/4" is in rear overhang)

'64 Falcon: Length 6 13/32", width 2 11/32", wheelbase 4 3/8" ('65 should be the same)

'61 Comet: Length 7 1/8", width 2 1/2", wheelbase 4 1/2"

'64 Comet: Length 7 7/32", width 2 11/32", wheelbase 4 9/16"

Overhangs in front and rear will vary, of course; we'll know more when someone gets a '65 built.

Hope this helps!

Hi no problem when I took out the chassis and turned it over it looked just like the one from the AMT 66 Fairlane  and there 67 Comet. I just saw your from Northbrook ill I'm a block from Park Ridge on the Chicago side let me know if you would like to talk I have been looking for other guys that are in the bobby that are close I'm retired now so for the winter this is my job LOL !!! When spring come back I  like take out my 67 Mustang GT Convertible.

Craig, Yeah Michigan stores aren't getting them yet. I was told by a few shop owners possibly the end of this week if shipments come.

I know, Myron, it seems like we are always last to get EVERY new product! The EXCUSE I've always gotten has to do with us being between all those big lakes makes it harder for us to get shipments of things to us!!

Pedaled over to my LHS and picked up my Comet today.

kit on rack 2

And as promised, I took a bunch of photos (too many to put in this post, so here's the link to the Fotki album):

https://public.fotki.com/Roullier/model_cars-1/moebius-1965-comet/

So I'm just throwing a few in here:

body 1

engine tree

I'll start by saying that this is a highly anticipated kit for me and admittedly my expectations are high. Having owned and wrenched on a '65 Comet Caliente with a Super Cyclone engine for several years, it's a car that I have I feel I have a fairly intimate knowledge of. I'm glad to have it and I commend Moebius for their choice of subject.

This is the first Moebius kit I've purchased, so I don't know what's standard design and engineering procedure for them and where this kit might follow or deviate from that. I haven't test fit anything yet - my first impressions are just based on looking at the parts and instructions. There are some aspects of the kit I really like, some things I might have chosen to engineer differently, some things that disappoint me, and a few inaccuracies that I anticipate wanting to correct when I build this model.

Time is short so I'm not going to do a full review here - plus I don't want to muddy the waters by going into great detail about my likes and dislikes with the kit right just yet, but I suspect there will be several aspects of this kit that will provide fodder for discussion.

If you have questions or comments about the photos, fire away. Otherwise, let the games begin!

kit on rack 2

And as promised, I took a bunch of photos (too many to put in this post, so here's the link to the Fotki album):

body 1

engine tree

I'll start by saying that this is a highly anticipated kit for me and admittedly my expectations are high. Having owned and wrenched on a '65 Comet Caliente with a Super Cyclone engine for several years, it's a car that I have I feel I have a fairly intimate knowledge of. I'm glad to have it and I commend Moebius for their choice of subject.

This is the first Moebius kit I've purchased, so I don't know what's standard design and engineering procedure for them and where this kit might follow or deviate from that. I haven't test fit anything yet - my first impressions are just based on looking at the parts and instructions. There are some aspects of the kit I really like, some things I might have chosen to engineer differently, some things that disappoint me, and a few inaccuracies that I anticipate wanting to correct when I build this model.

Time is short so I'm not going to do a full review here - plus I don't want to muddy the waters by going into great detail about my likes and dislikes with the kit right just yet, but I suspect there will be several aspects of this kit that will provide fodder for discussion.

If you have questions or comments about the photos, fire away. Otherwise, let the games begin!

Thank you Steve for the quick dash to your hobby shop and pics posted. I'm envious you can ride your bike in late Dec. Too cold in Detroit to do that! I'm hoping I'll get a couple here by the end of the week or next week. Owning and working on a '65 Comet, I have shared your feelings for quite a long time in finally seeing this product come to market.

Myron_

kit on rack 2

body 1

engine tree

Steve, I started on mine a coupe of nights ago. Would you like to do a build-off on this kit? A thread can be created, and anyone else interested can join in. Personally, I would love to see different interpretations of the car from anyone on the board. We can also offer tips on how to overcome any problems, if any we find during the build. I am planning to do my build as if I owned the car. A tarted-up "Day Two" build that you would have seen in the mid to late 60's.

Here are paint codes for anyone interested in replicating their Cyclone to color spec. Sorry for the bad pic. I'll have to redo this outside the first chance I have.Natural light will make some of these colors really pop......Black is not listed here.But was definitely available as a choice.

Myron_

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Edited by mtrcitymuscle
info added

Steve, I started on mine a coupe of nights ago. Would you like to do a build-off on this kit? A thread can be created, and anyone else interested can join in. Personally, I would love to see different interpretations of the car from anyone on the board. We can also offer tips on how to overcome any problems, if any we find during the build. I am planning to do my build as if I owned the car. A tarted-up "Day Two" build that you would have seen in the mid to late 60's.

Ron, I've got about three things going already, but at the same time I am kind of tempted to start on the Comet. I just can't promise a lot of fast progress. We'll see . . .

I most likely won't be building mine box or factory stock, either.

Here are paint codes for anyone interested in replicating their Cyclone to color spec. Sorry for the bad pic. I'll have to redo this outside the first chance I have.Natural light will make some of these colors really pop......Black is not listed here.But was definitely available as a choice.

Myron_

Yes, black was definitely available. It was called "Onyx" on the Comet.

Steve, thanks for posting those pics! Yeah, I definitely need to pick one of these up, possibly two. Looks like Moebius made the channels for the glass a bit deeper for a better fit---------there's no way to know however until it's test fitted, and then again after paint.

The body looks spot on as I don't see any major gaffes............I'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb once I have one in front of me in 3D. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Steve, thanks for posting those pics! Yeah, I definitely need to pick one of these up, possibly two. Looks like Moebius made the channels for the glass a bit deeper for a better fit---------there's no way to know however until it's test fitted, and then again after paint.

The body looks spot on as I don't see any major gaffes............I'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb once I have one in front of me in 3D. ;)

You're welcome, Bill.

I think the glass might be the part of the kit that has impressed me the most so far. Separate front and rear of course, but also separate wing window glass. I'm going to test fit it soon, but it looks like it will drop nicely into the channels.

glass

The body looks good overall, but one aspect that appears to need a little correction (and was remarked on earlier in this thread) is the curve of the roof over the rear passenger windows. I'll have to agree that it should be a little less rounded. I think I've figured out a relatively easy fix.

body 2