Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

For feedback to be useful the positives and negatives need to be acknowledged.  Around here the negatives are beat to death with no mention of what is right.  When that happens it ceases to be positive criticism and will more than likely ignored. It becomes tiresome when all youehear is how you've screwed up..

I hope they post test shots of the Comet.  Remember, the Truck and the Pontiac had some adjustments made due to the posting of the test shots.  There might have been a bunch of debate over the Pontiac, but the difference between the first shot, and the latest one we saw was quite clear.  Things got fixed.  The trucks have some small glitches, but not anything that wrecks the look of the model.  The Pontiac looks really close to perfect in the last shots they showed us.  I am looking forward to buying the Pontiac.  Is it a perfect kit?  Probably not.  Is it going to be an excellent kit?  I think so.  We all helped, even if it created a few grey hairs in the process.   If nothing else, look at how much better the wheels turned out!

The Satellite was pretty much finished up without input.  If anybody had posted a first test shot of that one, they probably would have redone the vents and fixed the roof.   In the end result, the Satellite is a decent model, but suffers quite a bit from some angles.  It's too bad because they sunk a lot of time, sweat and money into something that could have been one of the best models of the last few years.  It's still a good model, but not as nice as it could have been.

Think it's save to assume, that we won't see test shots of new kits, on the boards anymore.

To me, as a enthusiast, that is a loss of excitement, but from a manufacturers point of view, quite understandable.

The reason why is very obvious, let me explain....

While the product is still in the development phase, board members here will start the game, of finding the most discrepancies, this in turn, will lead to a bickering game, between them and those, who like the model as is, but foremost... and that's something we're not able to see in print, how many modeling lurkers here, will be scared off from buying the kit and also, who knows how much this board weights, on in the casual small talk at your favorite hobby shop, or circle of hobby friends, be it in person, FB or other social media, loosing again possible sales.

Look at it this way, when a model buddy, shows you his latest project in the making, are you gonna go and humiliate him in public for something he missed like putting the directional tires the wrong way?

Another one is, you did something wrong at work, is your boss gonna reprimand you, in front of all of your colleagues, or is he going to take you aside, or into his office and have a chat with you.

And the last one, if you're self employed, did a job for a customer, are you going to be happy, when that customer pulls out all stops and goes mass media, when you delivered something that didn't meet his or her expectations?

IMHO some of knowledgeable people here, in whatever field of expertise, should do some soul searching and start thinking about offering their discrete services to model companies, by sending in their resume.

That way the R&D crew, has a much bigger network of knowledgeable  people, to fall back on, people they can use for specific projects, who can help filter out the bugs, before the product goes to market, but be warned, that time, tooling and budget restrictions, will and I repeat WILL keep you from having the perfect model kit, it doesn't exist and will never happen.

Your reward, I'm sure will be an advance copy of a production kit and eternal fame in your own mind ;^)

Again this isn't about right or wrong, it's about voicing concerns in a different more positive way, will it work, I do hope so.

Thanks

Luc

Luc you've nailed it. As usual the few have ruined it for the many. If you look at recent threads of new releases there is a common theme. There seems to be a competition to point out every error with a the intensity of a shark feeding frenzy.   This behavior nullifies any benefits of providing test shots for our review. This is unfortunate because there are some very knowledgeable people here that can provide useful feedback. However they need to consider the old adage its not what you say its how you say it.

Somebody really ought to check out the inanimate corporation end of this!

You really ought to check your facts on that one!

I happen to know every employee at Moebius, all six of them (three full and three part time) - that includes the owners; and I also know almost all the folks who do contract and consulting work for us! Yes, sir, a big, inanimate corporation...

And by the way I also know the ownership at Round 2, pretty sure that Tom would be surprised to find that he's an inanimate corporation!

As for Revell I'd wager that their total work force US and Germany is less than 50 people!

Edited by Dave Metzner

Hey the end result speaks for itself becuase of a few self righteuos exoerts that think they can say in a heavy handed fashion because they are right I seriouly doubt we are going to see many test shots. Again its not the message its the way its been handled. However that point sems to be lost. 

Unlike the 800lb Illinois elephant in the room...

...about what a pile of dung

Living in Illinois, I've only had the chance to see one of these once, probably 15 or 20 years ago!  It was much like spotting "Bigfoot", as this Illinois elephant is know for its elusiveness and remote habitat, and I saw one for a few, mere seconds from a distance of 100 yards or so, and then, he was gone!  Without my Pentax in hand, he remains just a visual-memory for me, but, as quoted above, his pile of dung remained, and was unmistakeable!

Just trying to lightened the mood around here a bit!  LOL

Edited by '70 Grande

Who says they are wrong? It is just pissing about the spacing of 1/25 exhaust ports is just that, pissing. If that is all you have going wrong in your life, you have it pretty darn good.

And if you have a life where you can be a couple inches off in your measuring, you have it pretty damm easy.

The guys at the car model companies WANT to build good models without instantly visible flaws. Otherwise, we'd get Palmer-quality every time. QED

In general, today's kits are VERY good overall, simply because the people doing the work care enough to make it so. Just a little more care in evaluating the work before it's committed to final tooling is all any of us are asking. Quite reasonable.

Adult business men don't take their marbles and go home in a snit like babies because someone had the audacity to point out something that could be better with a product.

They try a little harder next time, or carefully evaluate and correct the flaw if it's caught early enough.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Oh yeah, just to add my 2¢ worth, I can't wait for this Cyclone kit to hit the shelves!  The good crew at Moebius certainly knows how to produce excellent subject matter!

Agreed,

I want the 65 Comet more so than anything mentioned in the past 2 years. And I am a Mopar guy and still havn't bought a 65 Satellite yet ( but I plan to soon,,)

I WILL get a 57 Del Rio wagon and probably a 61 Pontiac . But the Comet is right at the top of my want list for new releases

I'm buying the upcoming Comet kit no matter what it looks like. I'm a modeler and I ENJOY this hobby.

Amen!  Nick, I'm with you.  I have to get that model.  Somewhere there must be the kind of hood to go with it too, or I'll make one.  I have one of those cool Revell Parts Pak 427's that's just waiting to be placed between those fenders.  Cool car.

And if you have a life where you can be a couple inches off in your measuring, you have it pretty damm easy.

The guys at the car model companies WANT to build good models without instantly visible flaws. Otherwise, we'd get Palmer-quality every time. QED

In general, today's kits are VERY good overall, simply because the people doing the work care enough to make it so. Just a little more care in evaluating the work before it's committed to final tooling is all any of us are asking. Quite reasonable.

Adult business men don't take their marbles and go home in a snit like babies because someone had the audacity to point out something that could be better with a product.

They try a little harder next time, or carefully evaluate and correct the flaw if it's caught early enough.

good lord bill, I am more and more losing respect for you. Ok, the world is coming to a freaking end because tie exhaust ports are a red hair off, and some of us don't care. If you have time to worry about such TRIVIAL things as that, more power to you.

I'm buying the upcoming Comet kit no matter what it looks like. I'm a modeler and I ENJOY this hobby.

I'm with you on that. I had a 64 Comet wagon resin kit once where one was supposed to use the AMT 64 Comet Caliente as a donor. I made a mess of the paintjob on the resinbody and sold it on to someone else. Kind of regret that as I don't remeber who made it and I really liked the look of it. Maybe there will be a resin wagon body to put on this new Moebius kit sometime in the future.

Some folks just can not tolerate opinions that differ from their own...yet they feel somehow compelled to read them anyway.

Strikes me as kinda odd....and alarmingly common here.

for once Mike I agree with you!:P

I will buy them if they are well done.  I love the old Comets, and I can imagine a few ways to build one.  (Most with the word "Drag" in the description.)   

If they are not well done, I'm not going to mess with them.  I have too many kits in the pile that don't need major reworks that I haven't built yet.  If an exhaust port is half a mm off, I will buy the kit.  If the wheels weren't available with the trim package depicted, I will still buy the kit.  If there are five pages of debate on the best way to alter the body just to get it looking like a Comet, I will pass.   I will not buy a junk kit under the threat of "If we don't buy this kit, we will never get another new tool."  If a company  makes junk, then let them fail.  

I know I have said this exact thing many times before, but I do hold new kits to a reasonable standard.  There is no excuse for a new kit to completely miss a major body shape or dimension.  There is no excuse for completely missed roof heights, wheel well shapes, body shapes, major angles etc...   There is no reason to buy a new kit for the very high prices they are charging, if the kit needs to be heavily reworked just to build it correctly.  ('90 Mustang, '70 Cuda, '69 Nova, maybe even the '67 Camaro and '65 Satellite)  All kits have some minor glitches.  They are designed by humans after all.  The '71 Ranger has a couple of smaller problems, and needs a trim change, but it still builds into a pretty decent '71 Ford truck.  The '29 Roadster has a couple of issues, but as Tim Boyd just showed us, it builds into a really nice looking model with no reworking.  

Hopefully, the Comet will be a nice it, and none of this will be an issue.  If the kit looks nearly as nice as the Pontiac test shots did, I will be stacking them up!  (Hopefully one of the variations will give us a nice A/FX engine variation that can be stuffed into a couple of street machines)  I am looking forward to both this and the Pontiac releases.

Well said, Dave - pretty much my thoughts, too. I think there's a middle ground between the extremes "if it ain't absolutely perfect, forget it" and "I'll buy it no matter what, just happy to get a kit of it".

I'm not buying kits much at all these days (too many already), but if this kit is reasonably close (the way the other Moebius kits seem to be) it's a "must have" for me because of the subject matter - we owned one for a while. In addition to the exterior/visual issues you mentioned, I'm pretty particular about the mechanical details (can I say Trumpeter Falcon?) since I know them rather intimately, so I'd like to see those done right. 

All I know is that I want this kit.......

Minor flaws.... not an issue. Major visual flaws..... Well, I will correct at least one.

As for super detailed kit, I could care less, as long as it looks good and accurate visually. Good example, AMT 66 Mustang. Old tool, lacking details, but looks good when built.