Model Cars Magazine Forum

And the U.S. Postal service wonders why they are losing money.

ranma

I recently sent a package to a friend on the forum . The box when it left here didn't look like what he recived. The box looked like they played Football with it. Also this happened to a shipment that he sent to me. Then a year or so back I sent a trade out that never showed up to the person it was shipped to. LOST MAIL, DESTROYED, OR DAMAGED Mail is not First class. BTW he sent his priority and was delivered a week after it's due date. And the U.S. Postal service wonders why they are losing customers.

Edited by ranma

Seen plenty of boxes from FedUPS like that on a fairly regular basis, and if it was marked FRAGILE, you could almost be certain FedUPS would mangle it..........

I know a guy that worked at ups and said fragile ment kick to some of the temps.

I have had one box crushed out of the many I have sent out or received from the usps , guess I am lucky.

Not confined to the parcel carriers, you should see the shipment from Round2 we just got in, shipped LTL on a tractor trailer. 20 cartons - cartons, not model boxes... FULL CARTONS! were pierced by forklift forks. It's not about the USPS, UPS, FedEx, or whoever, it's about people. And many people just have no respect for what's not theirs...

And I have to say, we use USPS for a majority of what we send (hundreds of packages a day), unless it's too big, too much to insure, or the customer requests (and pays for) a different carrier, and we get far less complaints and issues with the USPS than the others. I'm rather pleased with them on our end.

Edited by Brett Barrow

...It's not about the USPS, UPS, FedEx, or whoever, it's about people. And many people just have no respect for what's not theirs...

Yup. USPS has worked well for me over the years. Out of over 2000 ebay transactions now, I've had only two shipments arrive here damaged, and none that I've sent out. The only one where there was more than damage to the box was a pair of NOS 1936 Ford headlight lenses, unfortunately pretty much irreplaceable, and the PO ponied up and paid the insurance claim.

They DID seem to have a very difficult time with my last address change, but I may have been partially to blame...not quite clear enough printing, you know? Still, it took 3 trips to the PO to finally get it sorted. The computer showed the right address, but things were still being sent to the wrong address and returned as "undeliverable".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When you consider the number of items successfully delivered by USPS every day, it's pretty amazing. Yes, there are screw-ups. But there are also screw-ups at FedEx and UPS. Overall, I think they're doing a pretty good job. They are not losing money due to poor performance. The reason they're losing so much money is largely politically based, and we can't talk about that here.

When you consider the number of items successfully delivered by USPS every day, it's pretty amazing. Yes, there are screw-ups. But there are also screw-ups at FedEx and UPS. Overall, I think they're doing a pretty good job. They are not losing money due to poor performance. The reason they're losing so much money is largely politically based, and we can't talk about that here.

Trying to not get into politics with this response - The USPS isn't allowed by law to turn a profit (they can make a surplus, and they have in the past). The biggest reason they're hurting i because they have to pre-fund the next 50 years of retirees' health care benefits in just 10 years(something like $75 Billion total, $7.5 Billion per year) No other company, public or private, anywhere in the world has to do anything like that, everybody else pays as they go. Factor out those pre-fund payments and they're actually in the black.

And the first person to say the USPS gets taxpayer money* gets one of these across the chops:

620475198_batman_slaps_robin_by_lovelyob

*Yes they get $100 Million so blind people can mail letters for free and overseas voters can mail in their absentee ballots. And they have borrowed money from the Treasury to use to pay the health care pre-fund, but they will have to pay that back.

Brett is right with the corner congress has put USPS into. And we're all paying for it with the rate increases of the past few years. Remember when Priority Mail started? It was 2 lbs for $3.99 in their free box. Couldn't beat that.

Still I marvel that I can address an envelope to any address in the entire United States and it will be delivered to that specific mailbox in a day or two!

Still I marvel that I can address an envelope to any address in the entire United States and it will be delivered to that specific mailbox in a day or two!

Yup. And for less than 50 cents.

Austin, why should companies have to watch their employees more? If a person is hired to do a job, they should do it. This isn't kindergarten.

Unfortunately, it is kindergarten-like. I'f you've ever been in management, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly that MOST people try to get away with doing as little work as they can, as poorly as they can get away with. Of course, that goes for management too. It's just a fact of life.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Austin, why should companies have to watch their employees more? If a person is hired to do a job, they should do it. This isn't kindergarten.

I know it's not kindergarten,but not everyone does. Just because employees A & B have a good work ethic doesn't mean that employees C,D,E,F,& so on will. In my opinion if someone is not doing their job on a regular basis then they serve no purpose to said company.

...People should take pride in their work..

They SHOULD. Most of them don't. Reality.

Agreed, they serve no purpose to their company and should be FIRED!

So, in order to KNOW whether someone is doing a poor job, serves no purpose to their company, and should be fired, someone else has to WATCH him (or go behind him checking on the work).

As a postal worker in a parcel sorting facility, I think I can speak to this issue. You'd be amazed how few packages leave our plant (the Philadelphia, PA Network Distribution Center) in worse condition than they arrive. Sure, automation does manage to damage some packages, roughly 1-200 out of the 45-50,000 we process on an average day, but that's by far the exception. Most damage is the result of improper packaging by the mailer, i.e. a weak or re-used box, insufficient padding, insufficient tape, etc. For instance, I once had a Large Flat Rate Priority box full of about 75 lbs. of used iron horseshoes burst open on the machine I was working at the time. The shoes didn't fill the box complertely so they were rattling around loosely with zero additional packaging. There was only a single strip of tape securing the flaps top and bottom... and some people wonder why their packages don't get there intact?

Also, surveys have shown conclusively that packages sent via the Postal Service are much more likely to get to their destination on time and intact than those sent via either UPS or FedEx. In fact, the only reason that many FedEx packages arrive on time is that the Postal Service handles the final delivery! They contract with us to handle that, since apparently they can't be bothered to go to every address every day like the U.S.P.S must, due to their charter. The most overlooked fact is that WE DO IT FOR LESS THAN THE COMPETITION!

If it weren't for Congress's short-sighted mandate to pre-fund the retiree's health benefits for many, many folks who aren't even Postal Workers yet... heck who aren't even BORN yet! - we wouldn't be in the financial predicament we're in now. Thank you, Brett, for pointing this out.

(I just had to remove about 3 sentences because of the risk of coming off as being politically motivated.)

I ebay for a living, and honestly, I have to say that I am very pleased with USPS.

I cannot believe how fast they are sometimes. I find it amazing that USPS can deliver a priority package from Indiana to California in two days, and put it on the buyers front porch in perfect condition.

I've had a few packages show up on my porch with the contents broken, but each and every time, the seller was trying to save 85 cents by cramming the item into a tiny box without any padding. It is quite amazing that anyone would take a 75 year old Lionel train engine and jam it into a box that was too small (with the ends of the box bowed out because the engine was too long) and expect it to be delivered without any damage whatsoever.

I ebay for a living, and honestly, I have to say that I am very pleased with USPS.

I cannot believe how fast they are sometimes. I find it amazing that USPS can deliver a priority package from Indiana to California in two days, and put it on the buyers front porch in perfect condition.

I've had a few packages show up on my porch with the contents broken, but each and every time, the seller was trying to save 85 cents by cramming the item into a tiny box without any padding. It is quite amazing that anyone would take a 75 year old Lionel train engine and jam it into a box that was too small (with the ends of the box bowed out because the engine was too long) and expect it to be delivered without any damage whatsoever.

People are clueless. My eBay experiences go from those who don't put anything besides the item in the box, to those who pack things so tight and secure that you have trouble getting to it without damaging it. We take it for granted that mailing a package is a common skill. It is not.

I see it when I go to the post office. I'm standing on line and there is often one or more persons trying to mail something. They went to the post office with just the item in their hands. They have no box, packing materials or tape. The clerk guides them towards the free priority mail boxes, they then come back to the counter and the clerk shakes the box... nothing inside but that one fragile item. He guides them to look in the trash for newspapers and sales flyers that box holders have thrown out. Amazing.

UPS, FedEx and any other outfits offering package delivery would go bankrupt instantly if they were required to deliver a letter anywhere in the United states for 45 cents!

I have had consistently excellent results with the USPS and nothing but hassles with UPS and Fedex.

Agreed. Part of the charter of the USPS from day one was that they would deliver to every address in the United States. There were times that it cost more by zone, but eventually it became for one price per ounce, anywhere. Currently 49 cents.

I saw a documentary about some of these routes through rural America. Think of those villages only accessible by air in Alaska. They get mail. The show used an example of one mail route by Cessna to ranches in Montana. And it all averages out.

The other carriers can do whatever they want. There are places they refuse to deliver at all. And an irony, there are places where they hand off a package to USPS to deliver! I once tried to mail three packages at a UPS center and they wanted to put a "Out of area" surcharge on all three of them. The one package was a kit swap with another modeler. He mailed me his kit for $6. UPS wanted $15. So I took it to the post office and mailed it for $6.

UPS performance at my house today? My wife came home and found a UPS package standing up against our garbage pail at the curb. Many people would take that as a sign that the package was in the garbage. That driver saved himself the one minute of coming up my driveway.

Their best performance is backing the truck up the driveway and tossing a package from the drivers seat onto my driveway. This spring I found a package that was missing for a week all soggy and under my car. How does USPS handle a package too big for my mail box? They walk it up the driveway and put it on my covered front porch next to my front door. No comparison!

Edited by Tom Geiger