Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I've been looking for another Smart because I cracked the glass. Does anyone have one they would part with? If I can't find one I think I could make it a roll back convertible. But I was trying to keep it as plain as possible

I'd just use clear acetate (plastic). The Smart has a fairly flat windshield so making new glass won't be too challenging. Just use some masking tape as a template, trace, trim and drop in. It will even look better than kit plastic.

Edited by Lunajammer

I'd just use clear acetate (plastic). The Smart has a fairly flat windshield so making new glass won't be too challenging. Just use some masking tape as a template, trace, trim and drop in. It will even look better than kit plastic.

Thanks Mike,The glass is all one piece from the windshield,the roof,and the rear side windows. It is cracked in roof and quarter windows.

I´m in with something different:

1-vi.jpg

So this is HESS Training Van - a 1/25 scaled toy of 1978 GMC Motor Home.

It will receive Bridgestone Dualliers and steel wheels from Aoshima London Taxi:

5-vi.jpg

Interior and chassis will of course have to be scratchbuild with strenghtened front wheel drive system from Johan Oldsmobile Toronado.

As for an engine I was thinking something Nascar- big block, maybe with blower and nitrous.

So basically I will use only body, bumpers, grille and driving lights from this toy. Everything else will be scratchbuit in a spartan way in order to reduce weight.

Think of this as a Nascar styled motorhome that will look bone stock except mild lowering, steelies with dogdish hubcaps.

+1 for originality!

I´m in with something different:

1-vi.jpg

So this is HESS Training Van - a 1/25 scaled toy of 1978 GMC Motor Home.

i agree with steve - my heart is breaking, if i see this motor home...man...awesome...were did you get it?!?

Please count me in on startingpoint with a old Beetle, Bug whatever it is told. Not the new plastic-thing ;) "Herbie", you know what i mean ;) ;)

i agree with steve - my heart is breaking, if i see this motor home...man...awesome...were did you get it?!?

Please count me in on startingpoint with a old Beetle, Bug whatever it is told. Not the new plastic-thing ;) "Herbie", you know what i m3ean ;) ;)

I got this one from Ebay several years ago, it was quite cheap because it's electric system is damaged.

I have another one coming, also from Ebay and it was really cheap because it is in bad condition while complete. One can still find these in decent contidion and reasonable price allthought those in mint condition tend to be rather expensive.

But hey, it's still only styrene and styrene is ment to be build, modified and dremeled.

Well if I cannot build a right hand drive my only option would be an amt escalade which I have no idea how to make into a sleeper maybe it could be the official recovery and assistance vehicle

Brayden, nobody said, its not allowed to build a rhd-car! go for it!

I'll probably be picking up my kits Friday off Evilbay.

There will be kit bashing!

For the first car, the end result will be the underestimated and often hated "right car at the right time" with a fuel sipping drivetrain that packs a punch!

For my second car, it will be a run of the mill 4 door from the 70's. Probably painted brown. Definitely brown.

Edited by JTalmage

Now this one sounds interesting.....i have already come up with a few options, will decide by the time i need to.

1/ R34 Skyline, twin turbo, 4wd into a 34 Ford...

2/ 1972 chevy fleetside pick-up, with Ferarri Testarossa running gear and suspension.

3/ F1 crossed with???????? not sure yet.

so i have some work to do over the next few days seeing which way to go..

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

cool then count me in with either an ae86 or Datsun 720 maybe time permitting both

You might want to consider doing a LHD conversion. Remember that the race takes place across the USA and anything which attracts the attention of the cops is a bad thing. Particularly this year given that we are running sleepers.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy the Cannonball build - because for once I don't have to do the extra work involved in converting an american kit to RHD to portray a local car.

I recommend you find LHD dashes from other kits and keep the RHD ones from the Toyota & the Datto to drop into something you build later on Vic plates.

You might want to consider doing a LHD conversion. Remember that the race takes place across the USA and anything which attracts the attention of the cops is a bad thing. Particularly this year given that we are running sleepers.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy the Cannonball build - because for once I don't have to do the extra work involved in converting an american kit to RHD to portray a local car.

I recommend you find LHD dashes from other kits and keep the RHD ones from the Toyota & the Datto to drop into something you build later on Vic plates.

I disagree. I think keeping it RHD would be fine. I don't think any cop would pull someone over because he noticed their car was RHD. Edited by chunkypeanutbutter